• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

…but the cynic in me thinks that PMJT will sooner prorogue Government so that he can say he’s making a difference while not really making a difference.
We're only a month out from summer break. I don't think he'll prorogue, unless he starts taking some extraordinary heat. The summer break would be a great time for the Public Investigation into Chinese Interference. As it's mostly centered around the liberals, keeping them all tied up with the inquiry over their vacation period seems like a good use of time.

We're only a month out from summer break. I don't think he'll prorogue, unless he starts taking some extraordinary heat.
Agreed. Why prorogue when the house will stand down for the summer.
The summer break would be a great time for the Public Investigation into Chinese Interference. As it's mostly centered around the liberals, keeping them all tied up with the inquiry over their vacation period seems like a good use of time.
It takes time to get an inquiry up and running. And the work of the special rapporteur is slated to be completed no later than October (I suppose it could be sooner).

For reference and terms

I think it was Thomas Mulcair who offered a really good prediction that the LPC will take the summer to do some free campaigning and then declare an early fall election with a short campaign. Thus avoiding the new riding changes (Alberta is getting more seats for example) that are slated to happen after October and having an election before any public inquiry would be launched.

Late to the diversion, but...

Anything collected as an "investment" only makes sense if it is truly rare - rare enough that its value is freely determined by market forces (specifically, auctions). "Book/catalogue value" is a comforting fiction, unless it is just the last price (or an average of recent prices) at auction. Also, rare enough that even when the community of collectors shrinks substantially, the supply is still well below the demand, which is probably even more concentrated among true enthusiasts than before.

Cars, guns, liquor, stamps, coins, etc.

For example, postage stamps. For decades some collectors were in the habit of buying sheets of stamps (as in, several sheets) as they were issued, thinking their mint condition stamps would be worth even more some day. But most collectors want only one, or a few, of an item, and the number of collectors (of all kinds of things, really) has fallen. So pretty much any mint condition postage stamp issued after roughly 1950 (in Canada), except for true rarities and a handful that had high face value for their time (eg. 1$ stamp when ordinary rate was 4 or 5 cents), is worth only its printed value.

Thus for firearms: worldwide quantity of a particular firearm << number of hard-core gun-collecting enthusiasts, and it might be considered investment grade.

I bought a Webely for $50 in 1980's, it's now worth $900. Apparently my Mosin Nagant I bought for $375 is now worth $1100 judging by gun show prices. Then my No. 4 for $25 also up around $900.

I bought an FN High Power for $225 back in 1980. Until last August it's resale value was around $1300. It is now worth nothing and will be destroyed when I die.

Last edited:
I bought an FN High Power for $225 back in 1980. Until last August its resale value was around $1300. It is now worth nothing and will be destroyed when I die.
Have your executor throw an unknown bag across the border to a person that may or may not be me, and I would send cash back ;)

Apparently I left Canada at the correct time, I got a very good dollar for my M203 and AG/C 40mm Grenade Launchers, as well as my 12(5) Rifles and 12(6) Pistols as well as standard pistols and some unrestricted rifles and shotguns.

Have your executor throw an unknown bag across the border to a person that may or may not be me, and I would send cash back ;)

Apparently I left Canada at the correct time, I got a very good dollar for my M203 and AG/C 40mm Grenade Launchers, as well as my 12(5) Rifles and 12(6) Pistols as well as standard pistols and some unrestricted rifles and shotguns.
As much as I like your idea, because the HP is registered the government knows where to find it. As my executor cannot take posession of it or sell or transfer it, once my death is recorded, the government will order forfeiture and destroy it along with all my other handguns.

As much as I like your idea, because the HP is registered the government knows where to find it. As my executor cannot take posession of it or sell or transfer it, once my death is recorded, the government will order forfeiture and destroy it along with all my other handguns.
All you handgun guys should take your guns on a nice peaceful day of canoeing on a really deep lake, and soon.

Therein lies an issue as well. Humans are subject to a variety of stresses including having your families safety threatened if you do not hand over the information on that list. Like where the registered firearms are so that we may steal them.

The reason I asked is I recently met someone who invested in scotch and whiskey. And it as part of his long term financial plan. Wasn’t his only plan and I doubt he’d be starving if it didn’t work out but was part of it. It made me think that this may be a similar sort of thing.
It's called wealth preservation.

Appreciating vs Depreciating assets. Art, Land, Antiques, etc are all Appreciating assets. This is why Rich people, particularly the ultra wealthy, buy things like art, luxury goods, land, properties, etc.

Cash/money is actually a depreciating asset due to inflation. This is why hording cash and "saving" is not a smart way to make money or build wealth.

Firearms, especially antique ones, are absolutely something that hold value and appreciate over time.

Question for the legal eagles.

Can a provincial Chief Firearms Office make up their own legislation? Or Rules ?

My understanding was they simply existed to administer the federal laws and legislation surrounding firearms.

Question for the legal eagles.

Can a provincial Chief Firearms Office make up their own legislation? Or Rules ?

My understanding was they simply existed to administer the federal laws and legislation surrounding firearms.
Isnt that what Alberta and to a lessor degree Saskatchewan are doing?

All you handgun guys should take your guns on a nice peaceful day of canoeing on a really deep lake, and soon.
Once they are banned and Team Red comes to collect them and we can't hand them over, then what? "They were lost you say?" "You didn't report that, did you?" CCC 105.1(a) requires the loss of a firearm to be reported "with reasonable despatch". Off to the gulag with you.

My understanding was their plan was to put in place CFOs who wouldn't administer the new rules...

I stand to be corrected.
In conversation with a province they specifically wanted the ability to determine how they would enforce the firearms laws. The federal officers wouldn’t allow them to do so. For a long period Sask wasn’t sure it was going to do so but the current federal governments decisions has sped the conversion up.

Back