• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Old Combat Uniform and the Old Lee Enfield Rifle

edwardsjoey96

Inactive
Reaction score
Did the Canadian Rangers ever use the old combat uniform - complete? Also, did they ever use the old p82 web gear and rucksack? Lastly, when was the last time the old Lee En-field rifle was used by the Canadian army and by the Canadian Rangers for training out in the field either on life fire exercises or use them with blank rounds? By the way, sorry for the bad spelling and grammer.

Canadian Signaler said:
WOW.  Should give the Ranger the FNC1's they have hiding in their supply hubs.

Most of the FN stock was chopped and smelted, after being neglected and rusting. Only a few were saved for use in museums and such. There are no Canadian FNs left to be used.

FNs are Prohibited Weapons under the Criminal Code. Lee-Enfields are unrestricted.

recceguy said:
Most of the FN stock was chopped and smelted, after being neglected and rusting. Only a few were saved for use in museums and such. There are no Canadian FNs left to be used.

That's a real shame.  I loved that weapon.  When you ran out of bullets, you still had a pretty decent club!  i can still strip one blindfolded.  I have to re-learn the C7 everytime I pick one up.

I have seen Rangers in pictures wearing the older combats, likely the parka and the snow pants. It's possible that Rangers have worn portions of Pattern, 51, 64 and 82 webbing that they have picked up from surplus stores. I doubt if the webbing was ever a scale of issue.

Loachman said:
FNs are Prohibited Weapons under the Criminal Code. Lee-Enfields are unrestricted.

I think though, that while doing their duties as Rangers they would not have to worry about what is restricted or prohibited as they are part of the CF.  I am sure the Lee Enfields  are in better shape even after all these years, they were made well.  Any FN I used was pretty well beat to death.

They keep their Lee Enfields at home. They wouldn't be able to do that legally with prohibited weapons.

We can't take C7s home either.

I won't comment further regarding the absolute stupidity of our firearms laws in this thread in order to avoid a tangent. There's another for that.

Unless they are anticipating human wave attacks by polar bears, a simple bolt-action rifle is adequate.

2nd that, I loved the FN, wanted to take mine home after I left QYRANG.  Didn't miss any of the other hardware; STEN gun, 30cal date stamped to 1942... yeesh!

Pusser said:
That's a real shame.  I loved that weapon.  When you ran out of bullets, you still had a pretty decent club!  i can still strip one blindfolded.  I have to re-learn the C7 everytime I pick one up.

Back in the 70's as a member of the NDHQ Rifle Association we were permitted to keep our FN C1s at home. Until 1978 when the laws changed if you were otherwise qualified to own a restricted firearm, ie: you were 18 or over and had a clean background, you could own a full auto and get a transport permit to take it to a range.  Until Canadian Arsenals stopped production, you could purchase a brand new FN C1, C2 or SMG C1.
There's lots of FN C1s and even a few C2s and SMGs still legally registered to individuals.
WRT the Rangers, the No.4 Lee Enfield is a familiar and reliable rifle, easy to maintain and .303 ammunition is readily availible pretty much everywhere.

Back