• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The RCAF's Next Generation Fighter (CF-188 Replacement)

Don't be counting any chickens till they are in front of you. So what are the chances they would base fighters out of Comox again if they got some operational airframes?

Colin P said:
what are the chances they would base fighters out of Comox again if they got some operational airframes?

:rofl:

Aside from the occasional QRA?

Cdn Blackshirt said:
So trying to find the silver lining....

As twisted as this whole process has been, the one positive is at the end the RCAF will end up with 23 more replacement fighters than would have been procured had the original Harper plan moved ahead?

88 vs 65?  ???

Balanced by the growing shortage of Pilots to fly them and Techs to maintain them.

Colin P said:
yea I am a dreamer, I also expect that having postings to places like Comox might actually help convince people to stay in....

Not necessarily Comox but civilisation. I'd gladly stay in the fighter world the length of my TOS if it wasn't at shit posting locations.

I don't mind a shitty location but I'll only OT to pilot if I get an F35. None of that Australian F18 noise.

Dimsum said:
I'm gonna put it out there and suggest that Jarnhamar is being facetious.

Yes it was good, but for extra points it needed a Top Gun reference. :nod:

European options -  service support

"the French Air Force on the whole is in a disastrous state, with 56 per cent of all its aircraft unfit to fly at any given moment..."

"Britain’s Royal Air Force, whose aircraft have been in constant use for many years in Afghanistan and Iraq, was criticised earlier this year when it was revealed that on average one in three of its multi-role Typhoon fighters and Tornado combat jets was unfit to fly."

"just one or two A400M turboprop transport planes out of a total of twelve are ready to take to the air."

"The Rafale, which is seen as one of the best multi-purpose fighter jets in the world, scores a respectable 49 per cent availability."

"The aim is to avoid the case of the Tiger helicopter, whose maintenance is currently split between so many different firms or military offices that it requires more than 30 separate contracts."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/16/ground-force-half-frances-military-planes-unfit-fly/

Chris,

You make it sound like anyone in government is actually interested in things like availability or operational effectiveness.

Really, it is all about industrial offsets and regional benefits.

Why are they putting in ANOTHER layer of BS on our already overloaded procurement system. But its such a great idea that they don't even know what it means yet?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/procurement-canada-economic-clause-1.4450439

The lawyers will love it though!!

Chris Pook said:
European options -  service support

"the French Air Force on the whole is in a disastrous state, with 56 per cent of all its aircraft unfit to fly at any given moment..."

"Britain’s Royal Air Force, whose aircraft have been in constant use for many years in Afghanistan and Iraq, was criticised earlier this year when it was revealed that on average one in three of its multi-role Typhoon fighters and Tornado combat jets was unfit to fly."

"just one or two A400M turboprop transport planes out of a total of twelve are ready to take to the air."

"The Rafale, which is seen as one of the best multi-purpose fighter jets in the world, scores a respectable 49 per cent availability."

"The aim is to avoid the case of the Tiger helicopter, whose maintenance is currently split between so many different firms or military offices that it requires more than 30 separate contracts."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/16/ground-force-half-frances-military-planes-unfit-fly/

The A400M is a classic example of trying to build an all singing, all dancing piece of military hardware that tries to do everything but ends up doing nothing well.

The Euros wanted a plane that could do tactical and strategic airlift all in one.  Bigger than a Herc but smaller than a Globemaster.  Consider it validation for maintaining a mixed fleet of tactical and strategic airlift.

It also showed the downsides of consortiums that contain unreliable partners.  Airbus has openly criticized the different governments involved due to their unrealistic expectations and flip-floppery over plane numbers. 

I think it will be a good aircraft when it is finally FOC but, like our cyclone process, it's painful to get there.

I think we should be wary of buying anything from countries that work 30 hour work weeks and seem more interesting in sucking on olives and munching on cheese.

Partnerships with the Americans is a must IMO. 

SeaKingTacco said:
Chris,

You make it sound like anyone in government is actually interested in things like availability or operational effectiveness.

Really, it is all about industrial offsets and regional benefits.

Trudat.  But it is too depressing not to keep trying....  ;)

Great find. Good thing we never did "... dirty our hands in the international arms industry."  ::)

Back