• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The RCAF's Next Generation Fighter (CF-188 Replacement)

Drallib said:
I just realized the US Navy has almost double the amount of Electronic Attack aircraft than we will have for an entire Fighter fleet. Sigh

The USN (including the USMC) has the world's second-largest "air force"

https://nationalinterest.org/feature/top-guns-the-most-lethal-air-forces-the-planet-11814

AlexanderM said:
Very sexy.

That's how you squeeze every last drop out of an obsolete design with bolt-ons, yet still not coming close to the capabilities of an off the shelf platform like the F-35.

When the F-35 absolutely decimates the F18 and Gripen, in every single category during our evaluation, again, I hope all these flight sim mock-ups in Canadian colours vanish from the internet forever.

Quirky said:
That's how you squeeze every last drop out of an obsolete design with bolt-ons, yet still not coming close to the capabilities of an off the shelf platform like the F-35.

When the F-35 absolutely decimates the F18 and Gripen, in every single category during our evaluation, again, I hope all these flight sim mock-ups in Canadian colours vanish from the internet forever.

Super Hornet has two engines.

F18: 1
F35: everything else

Legend has it that the twin engine requirement was inserted by the Air Force at the time not for "arctic overflight redundancy" but as a way to disqualify the F-16 from the competition and steer the decision back to their preferred choice, the F-15. 

Drallib said:
Super Hornet has two engines.

F18: 1
F35: everything else

That is an obsolete tome...

Failure and shutdown rates in today’s engines don’t support a blanket “2 is better than 1” position.  It’s just a newer version of the equally out of touch “4 is better than 2” argument decades earlier.

I never had an engine failure in a single-engined RCAF aircraft. I’ve had two engine failures in dual-engines aircraft.

If I were part of the project procurement team, I am confident that our assessment would look at reliability rates/MTBFs and the like, not just “2 is better than 1.”

Regards
G2G

dapaterson said:
Legend has it that the twin engine requirement was inserted by the Air Force at the time not for "arctic overflight redundancy" but as a way to disqualify the F-16 from the competition and steer the decision back to their preferred choice, the F-15.

Sounds as believable as the legend that the US offered us the F-14's that were stopped from going to Iran after the Islamic revolution. This was after we already were taking delivery of the F-18, so  we would of had a mixed fleet.

Drallib said:
My previous post was a joke. Sorry people.

It’s a horse than does a good job of regularly reincarnation...

Don’t forget to add ;) s

;)

Good2Golf said:
That is an obsolete tome...

Failure and shutdown rates in today’s engines don’t support a blanket “2 is better than 1” position.  It’s just a newer version of the equally out of touch “4 is better than 2” argument decades earlier.

I never had an engine failure in a single-engined RCAF aircraft. I’ve had two engine failures in dual-engines aircraft.

If I were part of the project procurement team, I am confident that our assessment would look at reliability rates/MTBFs and the like, not just “2 is better than 1.”

Regards
G2G
When you have 4 precautionary shutdowns are taken pretty lightly.

kev994 said:
When you have 4 precautionary shutdowns are taken pretty lightly.

Reminds me of a cranky comment by an F-16 to ATC as a B-52 declared a PAN for an engine failure...

“Oh no!  Not the dreaded 7-engine approach...”

;D

The bottom picture is Canadian livery, but the top picture's pair of F35's have a little kangaroo in their roundels: They are ADF planes.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
The bottom picture is Canadian livery, but the top picture's pair of F35's have a little kangaroo in their roundels: They are ADF planes.

We'll be buying them, gently used, within the century.

https://news.yahoo.com/amphtml/britains-tempest-fighter-going-leave-084500747.html

So next gen euro fighter will take flight in 2025, and production in 2035. Good thing they dropped out, I wouldn't want to buy a jet that would not be supported in 10 years.

Oldgateboatdriver said:

I can't see it that well, but the magazine I have has a leaf. I just assumed the image I found had RCAF roundels. Oops!

Attachments

• CDRcover.jpg
    CDRcover.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 177
MilEME09 said:
https://news.yahoo.com/amphtml/britains-tempest-fighter-going-leave-084500747.html

So next gen euro fighter will take flight in 2025, and production in 2035. Good thing they dropped out, I wouldn't want to buy a jet that would not be supported in 10 years.

I don't understand your comment.

The Tempest is UK project (with maybe Italy) Japan has dropped out of Tempest they were thinking about it.  France, Germany and Spain have a project they are working on (more like arguing about) to replace the Eurofighter. 

MTShaw said:
I doubt the ADF need the parachute system on the back.

Is that what that thing is between the vertical stabalizers?!? I always wondered why some had it and some didn't. Thank you! :)

Back