• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Shaving Superthread- All You Want and More....

blue and orange PLUS an extra blade!
javascript:void(0);
Insert Quote
although, I do believe it IS the blue and orange that drive the cost up.  ;D

As for ballz' comment
I use a Mach 3 right now, works well for me, but I'm switching to a straight razor as well. I got shaved with one at the barber's one time, my face felt like rubber for 2 days. They're a pretty expensive investment though.

it may be expensive, but the blades last a HELL of a lot longer than their cheaper counterparts.

I'll just hide a cat in my gear. Seems when I try to grow facial hair it comes in pretty patchy looking and I'm nearing 30, so I attribute that to my cat waking me up with their rough ass tongue.

Or it could be because of my Native American heritage.

I blame the cat though.

Koenigsegg said:
Along the lines of what G2G said...If improperly used it could be your last investment too!   ;D

Haha that is the best part. Nothing drips testosterone like razor sharp stainless steel that could leave a man looking for his adam's apple with one mistake.

AirCanuck said:
As for ballz' comment
it may be expensive, but the blades last a HELL of a lot longer than their cheaper counterparts.

Oh without a doubt, if you buy a good one and look after it, they're supposed to last a lifetime. Nothing that's cheap is good, and nothing that's good is cheap.

Gillette sensor is what I currently use. I'm fortunate enough to have the facial hair from hell. It's dark, thick, and near unshaveable. Mach 3/ Schick Quatro I find useless. I've tried numerous electric shavers. None work for me. They'll rip a few hairs out but for the most part it's just a painful experience and I just end up looking patchy at best.

uncle-midget-boyd said:
Baker, are you meaning to say the doctors and law enforcement types are actually allowing you to grasp hold of a sharp razor-like device now? Scary day, today is.

Midget
Hahaha. Yes, they do.

AirCanuck said:
The fusion is key.  The only reason I am switching to a straight razor is because I've heard it is like the ultimate thing for people who get really bad irritation.  for normal people though, the thing is key - although the blades cost an arm and a leg!

Uh oh. The reason I only shave once a week now is because of irritation... Plus, I like going around with a permenant 3 day shadow. :D
I'll have to find a barber who still does it old skool!

yeah, while at school (since I'm doing ROTP) I remain fairly unshaven just to avoid the irritation, but whenever on training etc I shave every day - the Fusion does ALRIGHT then, but I generally get cut a few times every time from irritation, which shouldn't really happen with a fusion.

I'm hoping that someone out there will some advice for me. Here's my dilemma:

With approx. 3 days growth, I can shave down to nice and smooth. However, if i try and shave the next day, or day after that, I just chew up my face and receive a lot razor burn. I have tried Mach 3, Gillette fusion(powered and non powered), other "disposable" razors, different shaving creams, gels and foam. I've tried going with the grain, against the grain, at different angles, before/after/in a warm shower, lying with a wet warm cloth over the area to me shaved, light/heavy pressure, and many different combinations of the previously listed. I've done some thorough searching on the internet and still no luck with those techniques. Although the bathroom shine & sacrificial alter did seem like a good idea, I figure I've already spilled enough blood over the sink.  :p
After no luck there, I though I would seek the advice of a barber. After all, the pro might tell me something I haven't already thought of. He recommended I pull the skin tight, shave with the grain, and  if all else fails, come see him for a good straight razor shave. I followed his advice and it caused some serious irritation.

I realize the need/requirement to shave each day as it applies to the instilling or discipline, uniformity and most importantly, cleanliness.

Has anyone any advice? Seems that everyone I ask is not really sure what else to try. I know each person might have a  different technique, but right now shaving every day is really hurting. :brickwall:
Thanks guys.

The guys with beards are always considered cooler, find a way to get a chit for it.  ;)

I have the same issue....when I did my co-op program years ago, shaving on an ex was brutal for my face  :mad: :(

You can do what I did, get a chit for it, same thing happens to me...I have no problem growing a beard but I cannot shave a day after or it cuts my face up like no tomorrow. Go to the doctors and get a Chit requiring you to shave every 2-3 days. But remember, this is a responsibility in its self, you have to ensure it looks good and is neatly trimmed.

I've been told I'll be heading off for BMQ for August or September, so when I do get there, am I to try to get on the first sick parade I can to see the medic and get that chit? Or should someone else be notified.

elecgitarguy said:
am I to try to get on the first sick parade I can to see the medic and get that chit?

I realize that you might have a legitimate issue here but, be forwarned, the optics of you running to the MIR from the word GO will make you a popular guy.

Just sayin'

Try an Electric Razor.

I thought that was covered in previous posts and determined to not be a good idea.
I realize that you might have a legitimate issue here but, be forwarned, the optics of you running to the MIR from the word GO will make you a popular guy.

I know what you mean, but am I correct that the alternative is getting jacked by the course instructors for not shaving? Or constantly cutting up my face..

Here is what I would do.  CDN Aviator is right, running to the MIR first thing could be the start of a fun BMQ for the instructors, you being the on the receiving end of their fun. 

I would shave everyday, endure the pain, then after a week it will become apparent to your staff that you are in pain and hopefully then you can make your trip to the MIR for the chit, with the recommendation from the staff.    You do have enough time before reporting to formulate a plan, but showing up and running to MIR is a bad idea in my opinion. 

If all else fails you can form a ZZ Top revival band.   

Two pieces of advice to try before you run to the medics:
sof-t said:
Don't push so hard.
I mean do not apply so much pressure to your razor. Let the cutting edges of the multiple bladed razors do their job and pull the hair up for cutting. And slow down...take smooth light strokes.

George Wallace said:
Try an Electric Razor.

Why is it not a good idea? Have you tried it? If you still get irritation etc after 2 weeks, then you know its not a razor issue, but a skin one.

Try shaving with Noxema cream in the blue container. I had the same problem, and this worked. Wash your face, leave it wet, rub in the Noxema, and let it sit for a minute(it wil start to tingle). Rinse your blade often as the Noxema will clog it more than regular shaving cream. Good luck.

Back