• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Spam and Scam Superthread- Merged

Isnt the "press (some number)" one also have a version where it hijacks you phone line, there was one of those going around here on Vancouver Island a few months ago.

Actually, a few hours after reading this I got a call from these guys.  I pressed 1 for real person, and exploded.

She was not amused.

Kyle Burrows said:
Actually, a few hours after reading this I got a call from these guys.  I pressed 1 for real person, and exploded.

She was not amused.

It's fun to do that:

Caller: Hi, have you considered buying X
Me: No, I just got laid off.
Caller: Oh, well we have a great payment plan...
Me: I have no money, can you give me money? Are you calling to give me money?
Caller: Uhhh
Me: My house is getting re-possessed, my wife left me and my kids are wearing paper bags, please give me money
Caller: I'm afraid I can't...
Me: But then why would you call? Are you god? Please god, help me. Can you send angels with money?

etc etc etc

I like messing with people's minds. My other favorite was answering the phone (when I see a 1-800 number of number I don't recognise, god bless caller ID) "Hi, you've reached Canada's Number One Jihad Hotline, your one stop shop for all your Jihad needs. Please press one to receive the exact same order as last time, press two to hear a personal message from Osama Bin Ladin, press three to hear our list of hot specials or four to talk to a representative". This one is great, they usually hang up by the "press three", but I've had to stop that one of late considering that my buddy made me a reference for his RCMP application and I'd hate to drop that one of the RCMP guys calling me for a phone interview.

In a case I saw personally as a banker, they're often so wrapped up in the scam they don't reveal enough information to clue us in.  Or they obfuscate the details to the point that it's hard to figure out what's happening until it's too late.

the 48th regulator said:
Hold on a sec here.

Why would someone write a cheque, send it to mister Nigeria Scammer, then have his pay garnished.

He would have had to have the money in his account, before he wrote the cheque, correct?

If he borrowed the money from the bank, to cover the amount, I would think the bank would ask questions about why he was borrowing the money.

I am going with CDN Aviator, as this sounds a bit wonky to me.

Especially working for a bank, and one investigating such a scam, I find it hard you would be advertising such fraudulent behaviour on a military site.

Again, I don't buy it either.

dileas

tess

I think I've  only gotten the one email, it the one along the lines of my father was very wealthy, but died and I need your help to get them vast amounts of money out my country. I got that one on my DND account. How are they getting my work email? If they can get that, what about my kids email account.

Be aware that calling back an unknown number, might sometimes be exactly what they want and by pressing a number, you may be "agreeing" to fees that you won't enjoy seeing on your phone bill when it comes in. 

If I don't know the number from a missed call, I will google it when I get home and if I don't know anyone from there.  Too bad.  They only had to leave a message if it was REALLY important.

That's the best plan let the machine get it.  If it was important they will leave a message is it's a scam they'll move on as quickly as possible to the next number.
We kept getting calls from some company that said that we had computer problems so I gave them a blast and threatened to call fraud busters... they hung up. Go figure?
Along with the phone calls don't respond to any text msgs you get from people you don't know either.  That's another way the disreputable get our money.  Damn its getting hard to be techno geeky now-a-days.

Well here is a scam I just received today:

Winning Notification

We wish to congratulate you over your email success in our computer
balloting held on the 5th February, 2009. This is a Scientific Computer
Game in which email addresses were used. It is a promotional program
aimed at encouraging internet users; Meaning, you do not need to buy
ticket to enter for it.

Your e-mail address attached to ticket number: 74454774 with Serial
number 144-66584 drew the lucky numbers: 5-21-23-34-61-72 (Bonus
ball) which subsequently won you the lottery in the 2nd category.
You have therefore been approved to claim a total sum of £916,778.00
(Nine hundred and Sixteen thousand,seven hundred and seventy eight
pounds sterling only).

Batch:074/05/ZY369
Serial Number:144-66584

You are advice to contact your Claims Personnel of the UK Verification
Department with the above Numbers for Processing of your Claims.

Name: Mr. Jerry Malson
Email Address: ukdraws@8u8.com

Congratulations!
Cordially,

Mrs. Lucy Carlwic
Online Co-ordinator.

Lang75 said:
Well here is a scam I just received today:

Winning Notification

We wish to congratulate you over your email success in our computer
balloting held on the 5th February, 2009. This is a Scientific Computer
Game in which email addresses were used. It is a promotional program
aimed at encouraging internet users; Meaning, you do not need to buy
ticket to enter for it.

Your e-mail address attached to ticket number: 74454774 with Serial
number 144-66584 drew the lucky numbers: 5-21-23-34-61-72 (Bonus
ball) which subsequently won you the lottery in the 2nd category.
You have therefore been approved to claim a total sum of £916,778.00
(Nine hundred and Sixteen thousand,seven hundred and seventy eight
pounds sterling only).

Batch:074/05/ZY369
Serial Number:144-66584

You are advice to contact your Claims Personnel of the UK Verification
Department with the above Numbers for Processing of your Claims.

Name: Mr. Jerry Malson
Email Address: ukdraws@8u8.com

Congratulations!
Cordially,

Mrs. Lucy Carlwic
Online Co-ordinator.

Sounds like Nigerian english......
close but not quite right

D*** scam artists!

CANTAUCO, Chile (Reuters) – It was supposed to be a magic recipe for instant riches, but instead hundreds of residents in this sleepy town in central Chile are up in arms over a "magic cheese" scam that has left many deep in debt.

Chilean housewife Erica Pavez was one of around 300 residents taken in by the pyramid scheme, buying kits to make "magic cheese" said to be used in beauty products like luxury shampoo and moisturizers.

Lured by the scheme, Pavez and her family spent about 25 million pesos (27, 745 pounds)) on the kits, which they believed contained special ingredients to produce the "magic cheese" but in fact turned out to be boxes of crystallized bacteria worth around $4 each (2.7 pounds). The kits cost nearly $400 a piece.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090206/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_chile_france_scam;_ylt=Auvy3B3b48aM4Hg6z7FM7bjtiBIF

geo said:
Sounds like Nigerian english......
close but not quite right
Yeah, most of the Britons I know have far better grammar than anyone else I hang out with.
"you are advice"  ya right!

I just got an enticing letter from the Ivory Coast:

From Mrs. Mary Clement,
Dear,

I am Mrs. Mary Clement from Abidjan, Cote D'Ivoire. I am a
widow being,I lost my husband few years ago.My husband was
a serving director of the Cocoa exporting board until his
death.

He was assassinated by the rebels following the political
uprising here in Cote d'Ivoire. Before his death he had an
account in one the bank here with a tune of $9.5M, which
he told the bank, was for the importation of cocoa
processing machine.

I want you to do me a favour to provide to me your banking
particulars to receive this money to a safe account in
your country or any safer place as the beneficiary.and i
will give you 15% out of the total sum as your own
pesentage.

I have plans to invest this money into business in your
country under you.This is my reason of writing to you if
you will be of interests to assist me, I will be very
grateful as you indicating your interests by replying
soonest with your private phone and fax.

Yours sincerely,

Mrs. Mary clement and son Solomon

Why am I tempted to reply with:

"Dear Mary,

Thanks for your letter, I was thrilled to receive it.  As a registered sex offender living in an adult only gated community in Kingston I seldom get a chance to befriend single mothers anymore.  Please send me a photo of Solomon." :evil:

Here's todays addition.

From Mrs. Susan Jones.7 Old Church Street,Chelsea, SW3 5LT,London, England. Dear Friend, My name is Mrs. Susan Jones, wife of late Dr. Greg Jones who died December2nd 2006, My late husband was into private practice all his life. Our lifetogether lasted for years without a child. But before his death we vowed tostart Charity Project to uplift the downtrodden and the less-privilegedindividuals, as he had passion for persons who cannot help themselves due tophysical disability or financial predicament. Before his death, he deposited the sum of 5,000,000.00GBP (Five Million GreatBritain Pounds Sterling) to his local bank account here in UK with the goodheart of using it for the Charity Project and till now the money is still withtheBank. After series of medical test on me last week, my Doctor has told me thatI have limited days to live due to cancerous illness. Though what bothers memost is the stroke that I have in addition to this cancer. With this hardrealitythat has befallen me, I have decided to give you this money and I want you touse this gift which come from my late husband effort to assist the upkeep ofwidows, widowers, orphans, destitute, the down-trodden, physically challengedchildren, barren-women and persons who prove to be genuinely handicappedfinancially as planned with my late husband before his sudden death. For accepting to help me receive this money in your local bank account and alsoto invest it on Charity Project, you will take 10% of the 5 Million GreatBritainPounds for your personal use. As soon as I receive your reply through this myconfidential email address mrs.susanjones2@hotmail.com, Believe that I shallsign the necessary Probate Document to make you my Next of Kin, henceempower you as the Original Beneficiary of the money and I will also give youthe bank contact where the money was deposited in UK to avoid delay intransferring the money to you now that I am still alive. I will expect yourpositive response with urgency. God bless you and members of your family. Yours sincerely,Mrs. Susan Jones 

I especially like her confidential hotmail address.

In yesterday's snail mail I received a letter, addressed to me and without a return address, postmarked London England.  Penned by an alleged lawyer, it informed me that an English mining engineer with the same last name as mine had tragically died, with his family, in a traffic accident in Luanda Angola.  The "lawyer" went on to explain that unable to find living relatives in England he searched the world for people with the same last name, not a particularly common one, and was contacting me on speculation.  At stake was an estate worth $15.5 million US which could be mine.  At this time all I have to do is reply, using his gmail address so that we could "establish confidences".  Having done so we could carry on with the required process, my particulars,  &  documentation to get me the $.

Now a couple of redflags:

(1) It seems to me that a legitimate lawyer would invest a couple of $ in a letterhead (especially if he can afford postage) a telephone or a fax, and a more private e-mail address than gmail,

(2)  I do not have any relatives in England unless of my late father or my late uncle secretly fathered any when based there during WW2.

I must admit I'm 1/2 tempted to contact the British Bar to see if this guy is legit.  But I doubt it.

And here's another variation:

Article Link

Online daters steal hearts, money
By RICHARD LIEBRECHT, SUN MEDIA
The Edmonton Sun

EDMONTON -- An Edmonton woman went public yesterday about being caught in an online dating scam that has cost local women almost $300,000.

The middle-aged divorcee asked that her name be kept secret, but said she hopes she can prevent other women from the predators that stole "a lot" of her money - and her dignity.

Weeping while recalling a final message to her Casanova crook, she said, "how could you do this to me? Take away my money, my self-esteem. They took my life, basically."

Det. Mark Johnson said the woman was not alone in getting duped by the same elaborate scam.

He said several women have succumbed to the charms of the suspected Nigerian con artists.

More link

Well folks,

Time to have fun, tess style!!!

Dear Mr. Austin Allen,

I am both honored and flattered that you have chosen me to assist you.  My assistant, Dileas Gubrath brought your e-mail to my attention witht the greatest of speed.

You must have recognized my name, as I am a very successful business man.  I am a world renowned kilt maker, and my kilts have been worn by some of the finest people.  I have many factories in Uzbekhistan, where I have many of my loyal children workers sweating day and night to keep up the demand.

I hope to hear from you soon, so we may proceed with this lucrative business transaction.

Your Faithful Friend,

tess

ps I have enclosed a picture of me wearing one of my products;

GreatKiltRenFest.jpg

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2009 8:30 AM
Subject: I NEED YOUR ASSISTANCE IN THIS REGARD

Dear Friend,

I am Mr. Austin Allen, Branch Manager of International Commercial Bank

Kaneshie, I write to solicit your assistance in a funds transfer deal

involving US$ 1.8 Million One Million Eight Hundred Thousand United States.

Dollars,

I have already submitted an approved end of the year report for the year

2008 to my head office here in Accra-Ghana and they will never know of this

excess. I have since then, placed this amount on a Non-Investment Account

without a beneficiary.

Upon your response, I will configure your name on our database as holder of

the Non-Investment Account. I will then guide you on how to apply to my head

office for the Account Closure/ bank-to-bank remittance of the funds to your

designated bank account.

With Regards

Mr, Austin Allen.

:dileas:

dileas

tess

The above did not get a bit out of Mr. Austin, however I have another fish on the line!!

Dear Miss Nicolin Didier,

I am both honored and flattered that you have chosen me to assist you.  My assistant, Dileas Gubrath brought your e-mail to my attention with the greatest of speed.

You must have recognized my name and chose me, as I was a very successful business man in Liberia, but I too had to move because of political reasons.  I am a world renowned kilt maker, and my kilts have been worn by some of the finest people.  I have many factories in Uzbekhistan, where I have many of my loyal children workers sweating day and night to keep up the demand.

I hope to hear from you soon, so we may proceed with this lucrative business transaction, and help you from your situation!

Your Faithful Friend,

tess

ps I have enclosed a picture of me wearing one of my products;

Dear Tess Demod,

I am happy to call you daddy because i believe that you will take good care of me like your daughter when i arrive in your country. Thanks for your mail and may God bless and crown our effort for smooth take off of this noble relationship.kindly bring out your whole mind to relate with me I am still assuring you that everything is in order the only thing I need from you is just to be good and honest partner who will assist me to recover this fund and invest it properly in very luctrative areas in your country.

I am an orphan I do not have any brother or sister, I am not living with any body because the war affected our region and my family house so the affected ones was evacuted by the United Nation peace keeping force to a refugee camp in yammasoukorro nearer to abidjan with promises that they will take good care of us but untill now they are not doing any thing about their promised. hence I decied to excused my self from the refugees camp recenlty.it was recently I excused my self from the refugees camp since the UN is not trying to fulfill their promise to us. I am now staying in a guest house hotel out side the city pending when this funds is transfered.I am glad to get you as a partner.

I legitimately inherited this sum which I intend to recover from the bank here and  transfer  to your custody for investment in any profitable areas. Please I will not want you to be skepitcal about the authenticity and legitimacy of this proposal since we have not meet or known each other before,it was due to the political instablity in our country that make's me to use this medium to search for a means of geting out of our country since the political uprising which have resulted to war in our country for the past  years now As  I have inherited this vital sum,I need a help to relocate for establishment reasons. I am assuring you that everything is in order. you need not to be afriad of any kind,

However i will like you to comfirm to me the below information for official introduction.

1. Your full name/ address  and country
2. Your personal telephone and fax numbers.for smooth communication.
3. Age . occupantion and marital statue
4.Your picture for me to know you and for better understanding.

Try to confirm to me the above information as soon as you can so that I will give you further  directives and arrangements on how to proceed without further delay.I will also foward to you the deposit documents for you to understand everything about this project,I will at the same time give you the full contact information of the bank with the deposit code to enable you contact them and apply for the release of the fund.

I am waiting for your urgent kind mail

Thanks 
Yours Sincerely,
Miss Nicolin Didier

Hello Nicolin,

I am glad you are able to write back so soon.  When I saw your opening greeting, I was assured that you and I will be great business parteners!  I always ask every woman in my factories that same question, and they answer the same way.  When my assistant Dileas and I have our private office meetings, we always lay down the steps on who is her Daddy.  I am sorry but I digress.

Although, I feel a need to trust you, I still have to ask some questions before we begin our process.  You see, a very good friend of mine named Wallace DanJanous and I entered in a transaction, last year with a Nigerian Named Big Bad John Hill.  Now that being saied, he ran off with $69,000 dollars of my own money!  This did not bother me, as I am a very well off man with many factories across the alps of Uzbekhistan, but Wallace warned me to be very careful this time. 

I know you said that you are originally from Liberia, as I may have done business with your parents, may their souls rest, and you are now living in Yamasoukro in Côte d'Ivoire.  I have asked my friend Wallace DanJanous what would be the best security method.  He said that if you sent a picture of you, by e-mail to me, holding a sign that had my name and the name of someone else, that it would prove you are real, and not some filthy Nigerian Man posing as a woman.

That being said, can you send me a picture of yourself holding a sign that says Tess DeMod.  Also put my assistance name; Dileas GuBrath.  Make sure that you hold up the sign, so I can see the writing.  The sign must look like this;

Tess DeMod
Dileas GuBrath

As it is my culture for the man to always be on top.

I hope this finds you well, and we will work quickly to sort out your inheritence.

Faithful,

Tess DeMod

Bwahahahaha, I can not wait!!!

dileas

tess

And now an e-mail entitled "FINAL NOTIFICATION":

ATTENTION,

AFTER SERIES OF MESSAGES BOTH BY EMAIL AND POSTAL SERVICES, I AM AMAZED THAT YOU STILL ARE NOT BOTHERED ABOUT RECEIVING YOUR {TEN MILLION SIX HUNDRED THOUSAND BRITISH POUNDS} INHERITANCE FUNDS. THIS WILL BE THE LAST MESSAGE I WILL BE SENDING OUT TO YOU.

UPON THE RECEIPT OF THIS MAIL I WILL NEED YOU TO RECONFIRM THE FOLLOWING DETAILS TO ME SO I CAN VERIFY IF THE MISTAKE WAS FROM ME AND ALSO START UP WITH THE PROCESS REQUIRED TO GET YOUR INHERITANCE FUNDS TO YOU.

YOUR DATES SUCH AS YOUR FULL NAMES, RESIDENTIAL OR BUSINESS MAILING ADDRESS AND A WORKING TELEPHONE NUMBER TO AID COMMUNICATION WOULD BE REQUIRED. I WILL ALSO ADVISE THAT YOU DO NOT LEAVE THIS MAIL UNATTENDED TO SO THAT WE CAN CONCLUDE MATTERS CONCERNING YOUR INHERITANCE.

BEST REGARDS

GARRETT KENNETH
Tel: +44-703-596-4009.
drkennethgarrett1(AT)rediffmail.com

In addition to this being the "last message"  the good doctor threatens to send me it is also the first of the series he refers to.   

Back