• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The US Presidency 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
And now for something completely different:

Budget deficit balloons, few in Washington seem to care
By ANDREW TAYLOR, ASSOCIATED PRESS
WASHINGTON — Mar 9, 2019

The federal budget deficit is ballooning on President Donald Trump's watch and few in Washington seem to care.

And even if they did, the political dynamics that enabled bipartisan deficit-cutting deals decades ago has disappeared, replaced by bitter partisanship and chronic dysfunction.

That's the reality that will greet Trump's latest budget , which will promptly be shelved after landing with a thud on Monday. Like previous spending blueprints, Trump's plan for the 2020 budget year will propose cuts to many domestic programs favored by lawmakers in both parties but leave alone politically popular retirement programs such as Medicare and Social Security.

Washington probably with devote months wrestling over erasing the last remnants of a failed 2011 budget deal that would otherwise cut core Pentagon operations by $71 billion and domestic agencies and foreign aid by $55 billion. Top lawmakers are pushing for a reprise of three prior deals to use spending cuts or new revenues and prop up additional spending rather than defray deficits that are again approaching $1 trillion.

It's put deficit hawks in a gloomy mood.

"The president doesn't care. The leadership of the Democratic Party doesn't care," said former Sen. Judd Gregg, R-N.H. "And social media is in stampede mode."

Trump's budget arrives as the latest Treasury Department figures show a 77 percent spike in the deficit over the first four months of the budget year, driving by falling revenues and steady growth in spending.

Trump's 2017 tax cut bears much of the blame, along with sharp increases in spending for both the Pentagon and domestic agencies and the growing federal retirement costs of the baby boom generation. Promises that the tax cut would stir so much economic growth that it would mostly pay for itself have been proved woefully wrong.

Trump's upcoming budget, however, won't address any of the main factors behind the growing, intractable deficits that have driven the U.S. debt above $22 trillion. Its most striking proposed cuts — to domestic agency operations — were rejected when tea party Republicans controlled the House, and they face equally grim prospects now that Democrats are in the majority.

Trump has given no indication he's much interested in the deficit and he's rejected any idea of curbing Medicare or Social Security, the massive federal retirement programs whose imbalances are the chief deficit drivers.

An administration official said Friday that the president's plan promises to balance the budget in 15 years. The official was not authorized to publicly discuss specifics about the budget before the document's official release and spoke on condition of anonymity

Democrats have witnessed the retirement of a generation of lawmakers who came up in the 1980s and 1990s and negotiated deficit-cutting deals in 1990 and 1993. But those agreements came at significant political cost to both President George H.W. Bush, who lost re-election, and President Bill Clinton, whose party lost control of Congress in 1995.

But the moderate wing of the Democratic Party has withered with the electoral wipeout of "Blue Dog" Democrats at the hands of tea party forces over recent election cycles.

"Concern about the deficit is so woefully out of fashion that it's hard to even imagine it coming back into fashion," said Rep. Jim Cooper, D-Tenn., one of his party's few remaining deficit hawks. "This is as out of fashion as bell bottoms."

While in control of the House, Republicans used to generate nonbinding budget blueprints that promised to balance the federal ledger by relying on a controversial plan to eventually transform Medicare into a voucher-like program. But they never pursued follow-up legislation that would actually do it.

Republicans, who seized Congress more than two decades ago promising and ultimately achieving balanced budgets during the Clinton administration, have instead focused on two major rounds of tax cuts during the Trump era and the administration of President George W. Bush in 2001

Nor are Republicans willing to consider tough deficit-cutting steps such as higher taxes or Pentagon budget cuts. Leading Democratic presidential contenders talk of "Medicare for All" and increasing Social Security benefits instead of curbing them.

"You have to get pretty damn serious about revenue as well as defense spending, and those are two things the Republicans don't want to bring into the conversation," said Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill. "My Democratic friends who talk about expansion of benefits. I've told them to 'get real.'"

Trump has never gone to the mat for his plan to slash domestic spending such as renewable energy programs.

"If Trump can be criticized I think the perception has been that he has not fought for the spending cuts that he's proposed," said former Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C. "There's no upside to trying to cut anything. There's no political reward. But if you cut something there's a lot of political downside."

Neither is there any reservoir of the political will and bipartisan trust required to take the political heat for the tough steps it would take to rein in deficits. And it's not like voters are clamoring for action.

"There's been very little dialogue in the last several years about debt and deficit and how to really be able to address it," said Sen. James Lankford, R-Okla. "It just never came up" in the 2016 election. "It still doesn't come up."

The deficit registered $714 billion during Trump's first year in office but is projected to hit about $900 billion this year according to the Congressional Budget Office, which says Trump's tax cut will add $1.5 trillion to the deficit over 10 years.

"One of the short-term goals should be — I know it's not a lofty goal — stopping things from getting a lot worse. It's something the Republicans obviously were unable to do. That's a low bar, but they couldn't meet a low bar," said Sen. Chris Van Hollen, D-Md.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/budget-deficit-balloons-washington-care-61575464

:cheers:

Brihard said:
Dear God. This appears to actually be legit, those do all seem to be his verified account. With a very brief bit of digging, it looks like he has been publicly linked to the anti-vax movement not just on twitter comments, but in meetings and fundraisers, including with Andrew Wakefield himself.

I had absolutely no idea that this was something he has espoused views on. I don't care who you are or what your political views are, this has got to be concerning to any rational person.

Well then I do blame him for the measles outbreak then.  In fairness I blame the whole movement but he has a bigger voice that contributes to this kind of garbage. 

>Trump has given no indication he's much interested in the deficit and he's rejected any idea of curbing Medicare or Social Security, the massive federal retirement programs whose imbalances are the chief deficit drivers.

Once again: the president produces a budget request for discretionary spending.  Congress appropriates, or not.  Mandatory spending (Medicare, Social Security) has its own budget, and is mandatory - the president doesn't request it.

The cited paragraph above applies equally to the Democrats, and almost entirely equally to the Republicans (partial exceptions: Paul Ryan and his followers, Mitch McConnell who is prepared to reform entitlement spending if the effort is bipartisan).

As I have written before: entitlement reform goes nowhere because it is mandatory spending, so the Democrats don't have to move a finger to get what they want.

Let the good times begin!! The rumour mill started this morning, but its now official: Special Counsel Mueller has delivered his report to the Attorney General.

Robert Mueller Has Completed His Investigation on Donald Trump and Russia

The special counsel’s report has been delivered to the attorney general.
Inae Oh and Dan FriedmanMarch 22, 2019 5:08 PM

Special counsel Robert Mueller has submitted his completed report on Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election to Attorney General William Barr, according to reports on Friday.

Mueller was appointed to oversee the Russia probe in May 2017, days after President Donald Trump abruptly fired then-FBI Director James Comey. For nearly two years, the special counsel has quietly led a wide-ranging investigation that has examined possible coordination between the Trump campaign and Russia and potential obstruction of justice by the president, among other matters.

The probe has resulted in 34 indictments or guilty pleas, including those of top Trump campaign officials and allies. That includes Trump’s lawyer and fixer Michael Cohen; Trump campaign foreign policy adviser George Papadopoulos; Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort; Manafort’s deputy Rick Gates; and Michael Flynn. Mueller indicted Roger Stone, a longtime Trump adviser, in January for perjury and obstruction of justice. Cohen, who cooperated extensively with Mueller and with federal prosecutors in the Southern District of New York, was sentenced to three years in prison and ordered to pay $100,000 in fines and $1.4 million in restitution. Manafort, who violated his cooperation agreement by lying to Mueller’s investigators, received more than seven years in prison for a range of crimes, including tax fraud, conspiracy, and obstruction of justice. He was also ordered to pay nearly $25 million in restitution and a $50,000 fine.

Over the course of Mueller’s inquiry, Trump has publicly attacked Mueller’s investigation more than 1,100 times, a recent New York Times analysis found.

It remains unclear whether the report Mueller has given to Barr contains: new information, classified information, grand jury information, conclusions. It’s also unknown how many pages Mueller’s report runs. Justice Department guidelines governing the special counsel merely require Mueller, once he concludes his work, to “provide the Attorney General with a confidential report explaining the prosecution or declination decisions reached by the Special Counsel.” That might mean a short report that lists the indictments with little further information, or a lengthy report analyzing Trump’s conduct.

It is not clear if Attorney General William Barr will release a summary or any of Mueller’s findings to Congress. Barr, who was appointed to the post in February despite serious concerns over a memo he wrote last year in which he described the Russia probe as “fatally misconceived,” refused to pledge to release Mueller’s report to the public during his confirmation hearing.

Head here for more on what may—or may not—come in the days ahead.

This is a breaking news post. We will update as more information becomes available.

Mother Jones

Fishbone Jones said:
I think Mother Jones might be a tad biased. YMMV.

Dude.  Read the article.  There are no opinions there, just facts. Facts are not repeat not biased- they just are.

Robert Mueller Has Completed His Investigation...

Special counsel Robert Mueller has submitted his completed report on Russian interference...

Mueller was appointed to oversee the Russia probe in May 2017, ...

The probe has resulted in 34 indictments or guilty pleas,...

Trump has publicly attacked Mueller’s investigation...

It remains unclear whether the report Mueller has given to Barr contains...

It is not clear if Attorney General William Barr will release a summary or any of Mueller’s findings to Congress...

Yes, this article is just oozing in bias and fake news... ::)

Jesus H. I said not a fucking word about the article. I read it.

I simply stated the truth about mother jones like everyone does if I post a rightish site.

Take a pill FFS.

Retired AF Guy said:
Let the good times begin!! The rumour mill started this morning, but its now official: Special Counsel Mueller has delivered his report to the Attorney General.

Mother Jones

You're right about that. My old "fishin'" buddies Adam Schiff and Gerry Nadler will load up the boat for a 3 hour cruise. Ably helped out by bait boy Eric Swalwell. What fishing trip is complete without tall tales, who would you turn to but the master yarn spinner, John Brennan.

Fishbone Jones said:
Jesus H. I said not a ******* word about the article. I read it.

I simply stated the truth about mother jones like everyone does if I post a rightish site.

Take a pill FFS.

Seen. Assumed you were talking about the article itself. 

Retired AF Guy said:
Seen. Assumed you were talking about the article itself.

No problem.
Thank you.

It was more for the unrequired extra commentary, that had to chime in, not yours.

DOJ summary of the Mueller report.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/24/politics/read-mueller-key-findings-doj/index.html

So no collusion and can not confirm or not if there was obstruction.

As much as i don’t like trump I trust that Mueller did a thorough job and this needs to be put to bed.

I’m seeing people on social media and regular media try to spin this and they should just stop.

Investigation is done.  Nothing to see.

Trump has a whole other list of things one can try to go after him for.  This one though is done. I’m not sure what Congress can accomplish that mueller didn’t.

Remius said:
So no collusion and can not confirm or not if there was obstruction.

As much as i don’t like trump I trust that Mueller did a thorough job and this needs to be put to bed.

I’m seeing people on social media and regular media try to spin this and they should just stop.

Investigation is done.  Nothing to see.

Trump has a whole other list of things one can try to go after him for.  This one though is done. I’m not sure what Congress can accomplish that mueller didn’t.

Mm hm. The Mueller investigation still resulted in 34 individuals being charged. Several of Trump's close associates and hand-picked advisors are already now convicted criminals and are serving or facing jail time. More are on the docket. There is still considerable legal fallout hanging over him from campaign finance offences, likely tax fraud, and fraud around his now-dissolved foundation. He's hardly out of the woods yet, nor is he coming out of this clean.

Of those 34 you state: He has charged a total of eight Americans, 25 Russians (13 Russian nationals, 12 Russian intelligence officers), and 3 Russian companies. The MSM are running with the 34 number, but it is a little different sounding when the numbers are broken down.

https://www.businessinsider.com/who-has-been-charged-in-russia-investigation-mueller-trump-2017-12

Brihard said:
Mm hm. The Mueller investigation still resulted in 34 individuals being charged. Several of Trump's close associates and hand-picked advisors are already now convicted criminals and are serving or facing jail time. More are on the docket. There is still considerable legal fallout hanging over him from campaign finance offences, likely tax fraud, and fraud around his now-dissolved foundation. He's hardly out of the woods yet, nor is he coming out of this clean.

True.  But the Russian collusion thing should be put to rest.

Brihard said:

Just give it up.  Your TDS is showing.

This was posted yesterday in Canadian Politics regarding the 2016 US presidential election.

Clinton had a 99.9% chance to win according to polls.

If we are still on the subject of their 2016 presidential election, this is worth noting,
We assess Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered an influence campaign in 2016 aimed at the US presidential election. Russia’s goals were to undermine public faith in the US democratic process, denigrate Secretary Clinton, and harm her electability and potential presidency. We further assess Putin and the Russian Government developed a clear preference for President-elect Trump.

CIA, FBI, NSA and the Office of the Director of National Intelligence
https://www.dni.gov/files/documents/ICA_2017_01.pdf

In spite of the above, she got almost 3 million more votes than he did.

Of course, US presidential elections are determined by the Electoral College.

He had this to say about that,
The electoral college is a disaster for a democracy.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/266038556504494082

Technoviking said:
Your TDS is showing.

They used to say the same about his predecessor.  :)

ODS
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Obama%20Derangement%20Syndrome

mariomike said:
ODS
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Obama%20Derangement%20Syndrome
And I believe it.  I just didn't like Mr Obama, but unlike those idiots with ODS, I didn't think that he was out to ruin the country; he was doing what he thought was best for it.

As for the electoral college, it's fine.  We elect our PMs with much less than 50% resulting in over 50% of the seats in the house of commons.  "Majority Rule" is not a great thing if you're a sheep and you and two wolves are voting what to have for lunch :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back