• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tips for making a good impression and getting a JOB (any job, not just Military)

Otis

Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
Another set of tips based on personal experience here at CFRC Crazy-house.

1) Look the part.

You would be surprised how many people walk in looking like slobs. I understand that you're not in yet, and most people don't want to change thier personal appearance until they've been given a job offer, but if you look the part, it's easier for the Recruiter / Interviewer to imagine you working for them. If you walk in with face metal and droopy jeans and slouching and multi-coloured hair, you don't exactly look like you want the job.

2) Be respectful.

I see a LOT of people (primarily younger, but not exclusively) come in wearing IPods, bluetooths, sunglasses or hats and they want to start talking to me and fail to remove same. How do I know if you're talking to me or your phone? How do I know you're not on drugs if I can't see your eyes? How do I know you're actually paying attention to the answers I'm giving you if you're wearing an IPod? I'm not going to take the time to give you all of my attention if you're not giving me yours. And then you won't get a job. (and while we're at it ... YOU'RE the one looking for a job ... use your manners, say please and thank-you and speak up when you're addressing someone, don't mumble)

3) Do your homework and be prepared.

No one wants to hire someone who knows nothing about the company they're joining. If you're joining the military, know SOMETHING about what you want to do! I don't care if you're not sure of the difference between an Electrical Generation Tech and an Electrical Distribution Tech, but at least know that you're interested in doing electricity for the Army (I'll make sure you know that there's a Navy option too!) When you've made the initial contact, and you're coming back for an interview, know who your interview is with. Bring the proper ID to identify yourself and be prepared for the interview (see notes 1 and 2). We're busy trying to help everyone, so be patient and bring something to occupy yourself with while you wait (an IPod is fine at this point, as long as you take it off as soon as someone starts speaking to you)

4) Check your attitude.

By this, I just mean be nice, I mean actually check your attitude. You're the one looking for a job.

If you come in with a sense of entitlement, you will be disappointed.

If you come in all pi**ed off because you feel you have been slighted, you will leave disappointed. The girl at the front desk didn't screw up your file / test / interview / medical / dates / etc. She's doing her best to give you the information your looking for and help you get a job ... be nice to her.

If you come in all mopey and depressed, no one will want to help you.

If you come in pleasant and cheerful, you not only will get better service, but people will be more likely to go out of their way to assist you.

And ALWAYS REMEMBER - YOU want a job, WE want to give you one. Only YOU can screw up this equation.

Otis

Otis said:
2) Be respectful.

I see a LOT of people (primarily younger, but not exclusively) come in wearing IPods, bluetooths, sunglasses or hats and they want to start talking to me and fail to remove same. How do I know if you're talking to me or your phone? How do I know you're not on drugs if I can't see your eyes? How do I know you're actually paying attention to the answers I'm giving you if you're wearing an IPod? I'm not going to take the time to give you all of my attention if you're not giving me yours.

Just a little anecdote: when I went to the CRFC for the first time I walked in and was waiting for a recruiter who was busy on the phone. I was reading some brochures and made sure I was visible to him. There was another person who had gotten there before me and was clearly impatiently waiting to speak to someone. She was wearing her iPod and tapping her foot on the ground (whether or not it was to the beat of her music, it sounded like she was upset and seemed rude.) When the recruiter got off the phone he started walking towards us and went right past her, introduced himself to me and assisted me first. Clearly, he was not impressed with her attitude.

This is all great and appreciated advice, thank you!

this is all really good advice.  and it works too.  when I joined, I wore a suit and tie.  was serviced right away ^^

Otis said:
The girl at the front desk didn't screw up your file / test / interview / medical / dates / etc. She's doing her best to give you the information your looking for and help you get a job ... be nice to her.

How could anyone NOT be nice to her?  :eek:

popnfresh said:

You would be shocked at the phone calls she gets and the attitude from people walking up to the front desk ... if this were a civvy business and you were looking for a job and treated the receptionist like that, you'd have the cops called on you!

popnfresh said:

Because she is obviously incompetent!!!  >:D

Some people are so mean, and frustrated... they just dump on everybody!

Thank you for the advice Otis... I love interviews!!!

We are used to complain about the negative side of things. I think that when you prepare for an interview, you should always take the time to find something positive to say about your past experiences. Because sitting in an interview B***ing about your last boss or how you hated that job, makes you look really bad.

I think it is all about the energy... If you want the job you have to project an energy that is nice to work with.  That will leave them with the feeling that your presence will make them a better team. Not too loud, not too quiet, not self centered, just a peaceful, grateful, happy to be, passionate, always ready energy...

Don't talk about your ex-drug habit

Don't talk about ex-lovers

Don't talk about confidential business stuff from your last job

Don't ask your prospective employer about their religious beliefs

Wear clothes appropriate to the culture of the business, i.e. wearing a business suit to be interviewed for working at a skateboard shop will likely bomb and vis versa

Excellent advice, Otis. I give recruiters a lot of credit for the patience they show applicants.

Colin P said:
Don't talk about your ex-drug habit

Ummm, we specifically ask about your previous drug habits ...  ;)

Just poking fun ... all the rest was also excellent advice!

so otis, out of curisoity. I would liek to know what a good 'outfit' would be accepteble. Would plaid pants with a nice polo, or black dress pants or shorts with a polo? :king:

brandon_

Be neat, be clean.  Lose the piercings.  Wear "decent" pants - IE, not your ripped, bleached jeans.  Doesn't have to be fancy - just neat and tidy, "Dickies" come to mind as a cheap pair of trousers (should be able to get a pair for less than $30.00) that look neat and tidy.  Lose the t-shirt with the "neat" saying on it.  Golf shirt or polo shirt would be alright - maybe something that buttons up would be cheap and look nice.  Get rid of the tattered sneakers - get yourself some "dress" shoes or "loafers".  They don't have to expensive - you can get cheap shoes (they won't last long if you wear them daily) that look neat and tidy for under $40.00.  Shave - or if you wear a beard, trim it so it doesn't have dangly bits all over the place.

If cash is a real problem, you can probably put a "neat and tidy" ensemble together for about $30.00 at a "second hand" type store.  Seriously.

There you go.

Thanks Roy!

Yeah black pants would not be a problem due to school uniforms.( blackpants or shorts with white crested shirt) and golf have to wear black pants to golf.

But yeah thanks il remember that. :salute:

Heck - your school uniform sounds like it would a good thing to wear.  ZERO dollars to spend!

yeah, they are nice and fairly cheap. Its also nice cause this way there is no looking down on somebody for wearing a certain 'name brand' type of clothing.

They also come in handy because you always have atleast  some type of formal clothing.

I always listen to what the recruiters are saying...
but one of the first recruiter that I talked to told me to dress like I was going to a wedding or to a Gala for the officer board interview :eek: ... he said to wear a nice dress and heals and everything...
I was shocked beacuse I think it is soooo wrong.
It is not appropriate and it is not professional to wear an evening dress to an interview.  ???
Anyway... I said yes Sir, but I wore a suit as I usually do.
I never figured that one out...

Otis said:
Another set of tips based on personal experience here at CFRC Crazy-house.

Good write-up: unfortunately, not a subject taught effectively to the current generation...

Greymatters said:
Good write-up: unfortunately, not a subject taught effectively to the current generation...

Believe it or not, from what I've seen around here, it's NOT just Gen Y that has a problem with these simple rules ... quite a few older people come in that have no idea how to approach a job interview.

And, in defence of the younger people, I have seen quite a few of them come in wearing suits etc. ... it seems to be the upbringing and general smarts rather than the age that determines the amount of common sense.

One thing to mention is that every member is a recruiter. People are watching you when in uniform. My wife and I saw a few CF members at the airport the other day. I must say that they were impressive!
( I think they were enjoying the attention! )

the_girlfirend said:
I always listen to what the recruiters are saying...
but one of the first recruiter that I talked to told me to dress like I was going to a wedding or to a Gala for the officer board interview :eek: ... he said to wear a nice dress and heals and everything...
*SNIP*

I agree with you in saying that being overdressed is not always appropriate. From experience though, I can appreciate the message the recruiter was trying to send when he tried to say, "wear your best clothing like to a wedding". All too often, I have watched as people dress to their own lowest comfort level that does not always fit in with the occasion. In a military context this often has resulted in civilian dress standards being higher than some feel is reasonable.

For example, why can't we wear clean sweat pants in the mess? The pros and cons to that question are easy enough to see, and how fast the standards can spiral. Simply put, if in doubt about what to wear for an occasion take one step up.

For those who want to do well in interviews and in general:
http://www.amazon.ca/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/0671723650/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250788379&sr=8-1

Works well for me...

Back