• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Too Easy "The Mega" week 5

Never stand when you can sit down, never sit down when you can lie down, never lie down when you can sleep.

And for the love of god, if you're getting up that early don't set your watch alarm, use your inner clock or something.

I had this one guy who would set his alarm to go off every day at 0430, and would never get up for it and it would beep for an hour until it was actually time to get up.

Also nothing is worse than the guy who gets up at 0430 and assumes that everyone else should do the same, if people want to push it right until 0530, I say let them, either they'll learn to do everything in the allotted time and up to standard or they'll decide on their own to get up at 0430.

I hated 0430 watch alarm guy.

Too easy....guess what eh!?...dont look at me...YOU!...Adopt the pushup position...drive your body!...its just the evil coming out....jesus christ people!! ...you better wake up!

for those who don't know, the previous post is just a tiny sample of the jargon you can look forward to as subtle forms of motivation.  Often preceded or followed by opportunities to improve your physical condition.  And when you're done don't forget to say "Permission to recover Master Seaman".  Or you'll do it all over again. 

Have fun ;D

hehe I sort of miss the mega, my platoon was really great, best team spirit I've ever seen plus we won the commander flag  :salute:

We also had a guy waking up at 0430 but he was very quiet so it didn't bother that many people (except the people sleeping next to him). On my side I was sort of designed for basic training, I don't move when I sleep and my inner clock was awsome at that time. So I never really had to mess alot with my bed just a little touch up every morning.

Something incredible about BMQ is the amount of food you'll stuff in 30 minutes...

Is it common or unlikely to have permission to leave the base on a Saturday at the end of week 5?

Weekends are priviledges that must be earned, however I would say it is likely you would be free.  Having said that, your performance through the week certianly does play a factor in just what kind of freedom you are permitted.

But to answer your question, in my experience, it is "likely".

I started this thread in November back when I was in week 5 at St.Jean.  Back then it seemed like the course would never end.  But a funny thing happened,  it did.  We made it through all eleven weeks and moved on.  For those who are reading this and are going to BMQ soon or are working your way through it now.  YOU WILL MAKE IT.  DON'T GIVE UP.

I have just finished week 3 of Soldier Qualification.  It is a big change for me and those who went throught the same BMQ as I did.  We were in St. Jean, we had the "blue" sector (officers quarters, even though we were all NCM's)  and to top it all off, our 2IC was an airforce guy.  (Though I didn't know it at the time...) we had it  pretty good.

Soldier Qualification has proven to be far more challenging.  My directing staff are almost all Combat Arms.  They're tuff.  As a result the schedule is far more challenging than BMQ.  The days are longer, there are more pushups, (neither of which is a bad thing) and the overall pace is turned up a few notches (not a bad thing either).  The instructors are truely exceptional.  They know their stuff.  They can out run us, do more push ups, and are generally very strong role models for how military personell should conduct themselves. 

Having said all that. 

The only real factor that seems to do people in (after injury) is........resolve.  When people lose sight of why they are there, they start thinking "what the hell am I doing here?"  "I could be some place warm and loving, not out here getting my ask kicked around the clock."

The answer to this is the same as it was back in basic.  Don't be an individual.  There are forty some people standing beside you going throught the same thing.  Together, you will get through it. 

So, for those who have already gone through the course and are wondering what it's like today, and for those who are going soon.  Soldier Qualification (from my experience at the end of week 3) is a solid program.  If you're serious about your career in the CF.......

You will love it.

later.

I just wanted to reply to this thread and say Thank You. 

I'm currently just waiting for my highschool transcript to come in before dropping off all the documentation they ask for once you fill out your application (which I did online about a week ago).  I'm planning on going into the Infantry as an NCM (wanted to be an officer but $1100 a month simply won't support both my wife and myself with our current debtload), and despite having friends who have "been there and done that" they can't quite explain it the same way someone going through it currently can.  Keep it up, you're doing every single new person who's even the slightest bit apprehensive a great service.

Thanks again,

Jay

Week 6 completed on SQ.  We have only four days to go with all major testing behind us.  OMFG the field portion was tuff.  I nearly lost sight of my long term goals while I was going through it.  On the otherside,.....I'm glad I didn't give up.

Bring on PRETC,  we're all looking forward to a little time in Bordan before the next round begins.

I'm definitely feeling worthy of that ARMY uniform now. 

And I can't help but have respect (and feel a little sorry) for those poor Infantry guys going into their  10 weeks of DP1. 

I'll be sure to buy them a beer first chance I get.

not just the infantry guys who drive the body.

but you can buy them a beer anyway ;)

CHIMO!

The latest update on career progression. 

I've attempted to leave some kind of diary here for those who (like myself) are anxious to know whats ahead as they proceed through the process.  I began my application process (at age 34)in March of 05.  Here I am in March of 06, with BMQ under my belt (started Oct 3rd and graduated on DEC 16) and SQ (started Jan 16ish and graduated March 03(ish)).  From what I've seen, I have been fortunate in that my courses of fallen one after the other without much waiting around.  I'm enjoying leave this week, then I'm back for a driver course (2weeks) then, my longest stint of waiting yet, four weeks of PretC then it's off to Kingston for my five and a half months of MOC 215 Sig Op training

I count myself as fortunate with no career stopping injuries or recourses (being sent back to do a the course over again) thus far.

Being from the Simcoe County area, I had heard of Base Borden and was aware that there was a large PAT platoon there.  Now I'm living it.  PretC is the holding platoon (PAT) at Borden.  It is a nice place to be for a short term though I've met some who have been there for a year and more.  Not a good position to be in.  The feel at PretC is more like a College dorm than a military base.  A CF member in PretC can look forward to being allowed stereo's and xbox's in their room, three room mates and PT everyday from morning till lunch.  Pt at Borden is spent in the gym most days (pretty cushy) with possible outdoor runs.  Afternoons are filled with whatever needs to be done ie- kit maintenance, administration and maybe even additional PT.

If PretC is in your future you can look forward to an easy time.  Most likely when you come into PretC you have just completed BMQ, and possibly SQ.  You will enjoy freedoms that you haven't had for some time.  But remember, as Peter Parker's Uncle Ben would say, "with great PretC comes great responsibility".  Our Warrant at SQ wisely taught the secret to success in the CF is ....."to do what you are supposed to, especially when no one is watching."  This is especially true at PretC.  Booze, chicks and lots of free time will be yours for the taking in Bordan. 

Be wise my friend.  You will reap what you sow.
later.

Mojo Magnum said:
A CF member in PretC can look forward to being allowed stereo's and xbox's in their room, three room mates and PT everyday from morning till lunch.  Pt at Borden is spent in the gym most days (pretty cushy) with possible outdoor runs. 

You're saying that you do PT from 0800-1200hrs daily? And then again in the afternoon???? Hmmmmmmmmmmm you all must be extremely fit.

2023 said:
You're saying that you do PT from 0800-1200hrs daily? And then again in the afternoon???? Hmmmmmmmmmmm you all must be extremely fit.

Don't forget, in his post he was referring to PretC (commonly known as PAT Pl in some places), where they are often left to their own devices.  Badminton is a popular sport in many of these PT classes, as is lounging at a Tim Hortons.  ;D

George Wallace said:
Don't forget, in his post he was referring to PretC (commonly known as PAT Pl in some places), where they are often left to their own devices.  Badminton is a popular sport in many of these PT classes, as is lounging at a Tim Hortons.   ;D

Unbelievable really........what a waste. At least Badminton is pretty good for you.

Regrettably it's true.

It is not uncommon to be set loose upon the gym and told, "pt on your own time it's now 8:30am, be formed up in the hall at 10:45am." I have then seen the platoon marched off for lunch, then formed up again at 1pm and marched back to the gym.  Not often mind you, but it has happened.

The intention of this post was not to knock PretC, but to inform the new guys of what awaits them and to show the really knew guys what kind of a timeframe they might be looking at.

Hope it helped someone.

Update on Career Progression

Private's log Stardate 29 June 2009. ( I know it's cheesy, I just couldn't resist).

It has been nearly two years since I completed my Sig Op occupation training back in Sept of 06. I was posted to CFB Petawawa, where I joined the unit that typically holds all the new Sigs when they arrive in town.  I spent the rest of 2007 learning the ropes of Petawawa, was added on to the tour group in Sept 2007 and spent a full year working up for tour. 

I have recently returned from my first tour in Afghanistan.  It was mind blowing.  Some of my highlights included getting a ticket on base for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign (I was filled with shock and awe, as I had just returned from outside the wire and was in no mood, I politely asked the MP to go find some Taliban and leave me alone, he did :).  I later received a speeding ticket for driving 30kph on base (the speed limit is 16k), frustrating beyond belief.  I would describe my tour experience as a lesson in self control and politics.  The most difficult part of the entire tour was keeping my emotions in check.  As stress rises, the temptation to take matters into your own hands is very tempting.  Unfortunately I did find myself jacking up several people of higher rank for what I considered to be blatant incompetence that put my life at risk; a very risky course of action as a Private.  Not the type of thing one should engage in unless you are willing to suffer the consequences.  And sometimes, it's worth it.

I had intended this post to offer some insight into what a tour in Afghanistan is like, for those who are about to go on tour; just as I've tried to offer insight to those who came through the training system after me.  But this experience is different.  Amongst my colleagues who were at the same rank level (Pte-Cpl) and same trade, we all had completely different experiences.  The only advice I can give is, as you prepare for tour, DO NOT BURN BRIDGES!  Regardless of what you are told your tour position is, it can change in a heartbeat (as mine did the minute I hit the ground).  You will need all the friends you can get, or at least, as few enemies as possible. 

Officers make decisions (it's their job).  How those decisions filter on down to the lower ranks is not always their first concern, and as a result, life can become down right strange.  I expected to be fighting (or at least assisting in the fight with) the Taliban, and indeed I did.  But I spent much more time covering my ass and that of my friends, from the COC.  This I did not expect.  Naive on my part to be sure.  I witnessed brave young Canadian men and women who risked their lives everyday searching ditches for explosives that could kill them at any moment (and had killed some of their friends), get jacked up in the performance of said duty for not having their boot bands on, others were publicly reprimanded for "walking too aggressively" while on base.

I have met many senior CF members who (releasing or not) have stated that this is the worst tour they have ever been on.  The bureaucracy seems to be at an all time high.  I met people who were afraid to pull the trigger (for warning shots) out of fear that their superiors would punish them because it would cause too much paper work.  I know it's not pretty, but it's what I experienced.

On the upside, the legendary spirit of the Canadian soldier has not diminished.  Despite the above mentioned self inflicted frustrations that come with army life, I can't count how many times I've heard people (just in the past week) say they can't wait to go back.  The money, the action, the chance to test one's self against adversity never gets old for those who have been bitten by the green bug.  For all the bitching and complaining (which eventually turns into laughing and joking) it is the experience of a life time. 

To put it in the simplest terms I can, all the things that make up my home are sweeter to me now having had this experience.  And yes, my hand will go up the moment they start looking for volunteers to go back.

Because i came to play, not sit on the bench.

Mojo Magnum said:
To put it in the simplest terms I can, all the things that make up my home are sweeter to me now having had this experience.  And yes, my hand will go up the moment they start looking for volunteers to go back.
Because i came to play, not sit on the bench.

Welcome home.
And, thank you.

Glad to hear another safe return.  Welcome Back and thanks for the insight of Afganistan

Back