• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Transporting the C-7 while on exercise.

Lost_Warrior

Inactive
Reaction score
The C7 (being an automatic assault rifle with a hi cap mag) is, under Canadian firearms law, illegal to own and illegal to transport by civilians without the proper documentation (if m memory serves me correctly).

Being in the reserves, we always have our rifles in civie sectors within our vehicles when we go on exercises outside the city.

I was just wondering what kind of laws there are for military, if any, and how much different they are for civilians.

But you never have the bolt in it.    Anyway CF members are not subject to the Canadian firearms law when on duty.

So if you're reserve unit is going away on an exercize..you get to take your rifle with you outside of the armouries?

RossF said:
So if you're reserve unit is going away on an exercize..you get to take your rifle with you outside of the armouries?

We even took them downtown for the rememberance day parade

Da_man said:
But you never have the bolt in it.  Anyway CF members are not subject to the Canadian firearms law when on duty.

We always issue it with the bolt. It's just a club otherwise.

Of course.  We take our rifles on every exercise we go on.  We have to drive through Montreal and past the city to get to the base we're going to train on (Usually ValCartier or Farnham)   Our rifles are in our hands and bolts in our vests the whole time.

We always issue it with the bolt. It's just a club otherwise.

Thats not what he means.  Of course you're issued a bolt with your rifle.  When we're in civilian areas, we take our bolts out (unless of course we're actually training in the civilian area)

Lost_Warrior said:
Thats not what he means. Of course you're issued a bolt with your rifle. When we're in civilian areas, we take our bolts out (unless of course we're actually training in the civilian area)

Not everyone. I don't see much sense in carrying it in your pocket, and my guys don't. If they're being transported in bulk, the bolts are separated from the bags. That's about it.

When we travel through urban areas we have our bolts in, mags out.  We have done training before in small towns with bolts/mags in with little old ladies walking by on the sidewalk staring at us.  Very strange environment to be in as we are so used to being hidden away in the field most of the time.

On exercise, usually you'll be on a CFB, or training area. The only law you have to worry about when you are on duty is the National Defence Act, which contains the QR&O's, and the CFAO's.

The law pertaining to transporting C-7, including civie environment? Weapon's security; loose your C-7, you go to Edmonton.

Interesting.

So will there ever be a case where you take your rifle home perhaps? (No mags of course)...just curious that's all.

-Ross

So will there ever be a case where you take your rifle home perhaps? (No mags of course)...just curious that's all.

Not a chance in hell.....unless of course your "home" is a barracks while on course...

RossF said:
Interesting.

-Ross

not an ice cube's chance in hell  :p

hehe yea I figured as much, due to the risk of someone attaining ammunition for it I guess. It'd be kind of interesting though for my family to see all of what I'll be involved with. Oh well though!

It'd be kind of interesting though for my family to see all of what I'll be involved with. Oh well though!

Well, are you joining a Reserve or Reg Force unit?  I know my unit (a reserve unit) has a yearly "open house" where we do a dog and pony show for the civilian population, showing off all our kit and giving some demonstrations on what we do and what not.  Have them come in to one of those after you join.  They can see all the cool things you get to play with while on duty. 

I have some rather cool pics of my gf sitting in a G-Wagon and on the turret of a Coyote.

Da_man said:
Being in the CF is not just about showing off you know.

I didn't think I said anything about showing off. Impressing my family with guns isn't on the top of my "To Do List".

Nothing wrong with showing them what I'll be involved with.

edit: I'll be joining a reserve unit. Ya I went to an open house thing, but unfortuneatly only my grandpa, and my dad were there, not the rest of my family. Oh well :/

Where are we getting this idea that we have to take the bolts out of our weapons if we are carrying them off DND property?

It sounds to me like somebody is confusing the regulations for bulk transport of weapons with normal common sense carriage of a weapon on duty, which is not directly regulated by the Criminal Code.  Our Bde has  conducted exercises off DND land on a number of occasions, using blank ammo: everybody had their bolts, in their weapons.

Taking the bolt out (except for bulk shipment) doesn't make any sense to me. If someone is bold enough to confront apparently armed troops and take their weapons, you can bet they're not scared to go through your vest or your pockets either. If that threat exists, then the correct procedure is either to avoid the area, or to have designated armed personnel with ball ammo and correctly authorized ROEs. In any case the local police and NIS should be informed.

IMHO somebody is over-reacting, unless there is a specific local threat issue somewhere.

Cheers.

pbi said:
Taking the bolt out (except for bulk shipment) doesn't make any sense to me.

It is way easier to lose a bolt if it is in your pocket, and not in your weapon...

Dave

Back