• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

U.S. Politics 2017 (split fm US Election: 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gneBUA39mnI

Jarnhamar said:
If you really want to see his panties catch fire call a magazine a clip  ;D

Trump is carrying out his political promises and getting crap done.  227,000 jobs in the US in the month of January alone.  If people want to keep crying and stay triggered then they should stay in the basement and let working Americans get on with their lives.

I’ll Bite: Well…if you ever cross paths with Terry Copp’s Proffesor, Cdn Historian and SWW FOO Officer say Hill instead of Point or Pt., a see what he might respond, especial that his minions were properly educated in this matter.

As one who has carried SMG, FNCI A1, etc., as an M-16, I was properly instructed, just like your rifle is not a Gun, more like an artillery gun: Clearly you know clip and mag not same. A mag stores the rounds which is then is inserted into your rifle or smi-auto hand. A clip, Bloc or stripper, holds rounds in a single line, inserted quickly while the mag is engaged and your breech is opened; some assault rifles you need to remove the mag then insert the rounds an adapter is needed.

Your absolutely right Trump is getting allot of Crap done in just two weeks, make no mistake about that, BFF of Putin which is playing Trump like a fiddle.

Get ready looks like America's Suns' and Daughters' will have tooo... AGAIN sacrifice their lives for the greater good of the Red White and Blue and since last year, especially within two weeks, is carrying one heck of a black eye: Looks like the US Gov's warring agendas, American lives are expendable...American Lives Don't Matter.

While on Trump TV Gone Wild: So the Muslim Ban that wasn't a ban on Muslims is now temporarily suspended by a Seattle court ruling yesterday evening (?), although no legal or binding written decision was issued by the court that I saw last night or Today?????. Now Trump and the Gang will file an appeal with the 9th Circuit Court, while many speculate; will reach the doors of the Supreme Court of the USA, with one big wig still missing, is somewhat problematic.

Okay, my understanding in the 9th CC  there's many vacant seats?

PBA I was unable to enter Milnet.ca this morning, although Army.ca doors are wide open and posting as U can see...just giving a heads-up.
SVP No big deal only online under two hours throughout the day, S happens.

C.U. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gneBUA39mnI

Would like to see bad lip reading from PM Trudeau. Oh wait, it's not bad lip reading. It's what he is actually spewing.

Chispa said:
While on Trump TV Gone Wild: So the Muslim Ban that wasn't a ban on Muslims is now temporarily suspended by a Seattle court ruling yesterday evening (?), although no legal or binding written decision was issued by the court that I saw last night or Today?????.

The judge's order is available as a pdf here: http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2017/images/02/03/19717309322.pdf

Of particular interest is the "conclusion" which starts at page 6. In it he describes briefly the very real separation and responsibilities of the three "equal" branches of federal government-executive, legislative and judicial. Long story short he acknowledges that his role isn't to make policy or to judge another branches policies but simply to ensure that the two other branches act in accordance with the country's laws. Legally speaking, I see nothing wrong with his legal reasoning of the order and the tests that he applies albeit that the order is brief which is not unusual in these circumstances.

The DoJ is going to appeal the order which is certainly expected and appropriate. If a party believes that a judge's order is wrong (an event that frequently happens) then moving the decision through the appeal process is the expected and normal course.

On the other hand, Trump's personal response by way of tweet:

The opinion of this so-called judge, which essentially takes law-enforcement away from our country, is ridiculous and will be overturned!

is IMHO the height of ignorance. Calling a seated judge a "so-called judge" and his decision "ridiculous" goes beyond contempt of court but is of course entirely in keeping with the way that Trump talks about anyone who disagrees with him or stands in his way. Interesting to note that this judge was a George W Bush appointment.

I presume that this is still his way of firing up his base and will probably be met by numerous supporters. Unfortunately he is trading off short term gratification for a reasoned approach to handling disagreements and conflicts. I would hope that even those who fundamentally support this policy can see behind the rhetoric to the point where they see that the executive branch of this government is deeply flawed in the way that it develops and executes its initiatives which more and more seem to be an attempt to be "government by royal decree."

For those with a few minutes to read something worth thinking about, there's this:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/feb/03/americanism-us-writers-imagine-fascist-future-fiction

:cheers:

Chispa said:
BFF of Putin which is playing Trump like a fiddle.

Your evidence for this silly statement can be found where, again?

Chispa said:
Get ready looks like America's Suns' and Daughters' will have tooo... AGAIN sacrifice their lives for the greater good of the Red White and Blue and since last year, especially within two weeks, is carrying one heck of a black eye: Looks like the US Gov's warring agendas, American lives are expendable...American Lives Don't Matter.

Mr Trump cares far more for the lives of US Servicemembers, veterans, inner-city blacks, women, gays, and people in general than either his predecessor or his failed competitor did.

Chispa said:
While on Trump TV Gone Wild: So the Muslim Ban that wasn't a ban on Muslims is now temporarily suspended by a Seattle court ruling yesterday evening (?), although no legal or binding written decision was issued by the court that I saw last night or Today?????. Now Trump and the Gang will file an appeal with the 9th Circuit Court, while many speculate; will reach the doors of the Supreme Court of the USA, with one big wig still missing, is somewhat problematic.

That ruling will not stand. The US, like any sovereign country, has a right to control whoever wishes to seek entry, and entry is a right for nobody other than citizens.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Well, I am sssoooo thankful than the Donald was elected President!

Until now, I hadn't realized that highly educated, sophisticated and hyper competent senior civil servants, politicians and diplomats of the USA had managed to screw up every single past treaty and "deal" they made on behalf of their nation. All of them terrible! Just terrible! not a single good one in the history of the country so far.

Thank the gods Donald is there to save us now.

He'll set it right ... and the world will stop abusing the poor USA as they have all done in the past.

/SARC OFF

Do you not find something untoward with this?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/nov/8/republicans-media-bias-claims-boosted-by-scarcity-/

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/district-of-columbia-president-clinton-trump

Over 90% of Washington DC voted Clinton

Over 90% of the Washington Press Corps voted Democrat

Major bureaucracies in meltdown because the wrong side won.

Loachman said:
Mr Trump cares far more for the lives of US Servicemembers, veterans, inner-city blacks, women, gays, and people in general than either his predecessor or his failed competitor did.

Why is he less popular?

Obama 2008    69,498,516

Obama 2012    65,915,795

Clinton            65,853,625

Trump            62,985,105

I agree with this guy. Hang onto your hats, folks....

If you think Trump's been bold so far, you ain't seen nothing yet! 

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-4126430/You-ain-t-seen-Trump.html#ixzz4Xlim4UlW

mariomike said:
Why is he less popular?

Obama 2008    69,498,516

Obama 2012    65,915,795

You make an irrelevant response.

Chispa said:

Another fine example of the hypocrisy of the left, the countries named in the ban were selected by the Obama administration, and surprise! the wall was authorized by congress when Obama was President as well. Funny how judges and pundits were so adamant in opposing these decisions when someone else is in the White House......

Read a very interesting theory by Scott Adams the other day. Trump's Twitter campaign is actually a devastating strategy against the legacy media. By pumping out messages on multiple topics faster than they can respond or settle on some master narrative to draw from, President Trump sets the agenda and delivers what he wants without the Media being able to target it (they are usually responding to relatively irrelevant tweets on other topics).

My interest now is seeing which politicians in Canada and Europe seize on the various tropes President Trump used to achieve victory and set the agenda, and how well they can use these techniques. We are going to see how well others understand information operations and 4GW applied to politics.

Loachman said:

QV said:
You make an irrelevant response.

Of course. The least popular care the most.  :)

I just saw the movie Omen III. In the oval office there are gold curtains just like Trump has. Does anybody want to jump on that as a sign from above, or maybe below. Seems every little thing these days is enough is go off on a rant and a rave about Trump.

[quote author=mariomike]
Why is he less popular?

[/quote]
Being a good leader and being popular isn't always synonyms.

FJAG said:
Calling a seated judge a "so-called judge" and his decision "ridiculous" goes beyond contempt of court but is of course entirely in keeping with the way that Trump talks about anyone who disagrees with him or stands in his way. Interesting to note that this judge was a George W Bush appointment.

Good....judges shouldn't be doing half the friggin' mouthing off they do.  Just another group of self-important folks who somehow managed to insert themselves into a situation where appointed people are more important then elected people.  There's a swamp that can be drained, no need for judges to come from lawyers.....

No need to swerve this topic, here is a thread for responses, if any.  http://army.ca/forums/threads/49073/post-430088.html#msg430088

mariomike said:
Why is he less popular?

Obama 2008    69,498,516

Obama 2012    65,915,795

Your data does not support your hypothesis. To wit:

G.H. Bush 48,886,597

Ronald Regan 54,455,472

Richard Nixon 47,168,710

Lyndon B. Johnson 43,127,041

All of whom captured more of the popular vote and Electoral College than the previous occupant of the Oval Office.

Quote from: Jarnhamar on February 03, 2017, 19:46:02 If you really want to see his panties catch fire call a magazine a clip  ;D

Yesterday while posting got an urge and rushed to the little boy’s room, while holding It remembered the term Banana Clip, your comment kind of holds water, tried to repost however the Army.ca robots kicked me out the door.

Although slightly hazy recollections, 36 or even some years ago US Army or USMC used the term clip meaning mag, first 30 round mag surfaced aka Banana Clip, in that same time 40 round banana clips were commercially produced not US army issue. While it takes 3 seconds when YR on R&R empting out a 30 round mag, the 40 were problematic, at max capacity constantly double round jams or spring issues, even snapping, unbalance when firing or carrying the AR.

With limited time, wish I could respond individually, therefore thank U kindly FJAG for the judges ruling and heads up. “is IMHO the height of ignorance. Calling a seated judge a "so-called judge" and his decision "ridiculous" goes beyond contempt of court but is of course entirely in keeping with the way that Trump talks about anyone who disagrees with him or stands in his way. Interesting to note that this judge was a George W Bush appointment.” Your above comments are being reverberated by many.

Loachman D. STAFF…your last two comments I guess time will tell, clearly we’re not on the same page…As for evidence for my Silly statement can be found???? What I’m not entitled to an opinion and last I checked requires no evidence??? However since U asked without being abrasive………………..

Putin has played Trump 'like a fiddle' says ex-CIA head backing Clinton as he rips the Republican for 'cheering' on hacks.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3838751/Putin-played-Trump-like-fiddle-says-ex-CIA-head-backing-Clinton-rips-Republican-cheering-hacks.html#ixzz4XprlFlDh

I added One, Google…Putin is playing Trump like a fiddle. As for Trump foolhardily believing he can make a deal if the price is right, with Putin…Hell will freeze over first.

“Silly old ram,” Frank “Old Blue Eyes” got it right, considering Trump is more stubborn then a ram. I’ll sing this tune for you…

But he's got high hopes, he's got high hopes
He's got high apple pie, in the sky hopes

So any time your gettin' low
'Stead of lettin' go

Just remember that ant
Oops there goes another rubber tree plant

When troubles call, and your back's to the wall
There a lot to be learned, that wall could fall

Once there was a silly old ram
Thought he'd punch a hole in a dam
No one could make that ram, scram
He kept buttin' that dam……………

http://www.metrolyrics.com/high-hopes-lyrics-frank-sinatra.html

C.U.

daftandbarmy said:
I agree with this guy. Hang onto your hats, folks....

If you think Trump's been bold so far, you ain't seen nothing yet! 

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-4126430/You-ain-t-seen-Trump.html#ixzz4Xlim4UlW

Two analogies come to mind.

Ripping the bandaid off - fast and violent and leave lots of recovery time.

Running right up the middle throwing punches while the other side is off balance.  They can't react to everything fast enough and eventually look ineffectual.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Good....judges shouldn't be doing half the friggin' mouthing off they do.  Just another group of self-important folks who somehow managed to insert themselves into a situation where appointed people are more important then elected people.  There's a swamp that can be drained, no need for judges to come from lawyers.....

No need to swerve this topic, here is a thread for responses, if any.  http://army.ca/forums/threads/49073/post-430088.html#msg430088

Justices of the Peace come from the same tradition, in my opinion, as Juries : respected members of the community, peers of the accused.  Not descendants of the canonical courts.

Anyone who is correctly political already knows the "Trump is a Fascist" meme is backwards (Real Fascists in America wear black hoodies, no doubt ignorant of the fact their forbearers in Italy wore stylish black shirts). I fin it interesting that many of the points being raised can apply to Canada as well as a lot of Europe, and we already know there are rising Nationalist/populist parties and movements in Europe already. I think that if a real "Trump" were to arise in Canada (no, not O'Leary) it would be for the same reasons, and evoke many of the same reactions:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/feb/05/trump-not-fascist-champion-for-forgotten-millions

Trump is no fascist. He is a champion for the forgotten millions
Obama promised solutions but let the people down. Is it any surprise that they voted for real change?
John Daniel Davidson

Sunday 5 February 2017 00.05 GMT  Last modified on Sunday 5 February 2017 14.24 GMT 

Amid the ongoing protests against President Trump, calls for “resistance” among Democratic politicians and activists, and the overheated rhetoric casting Trump and his supporters as fascists and xenophobes, an outsider might be forgiven for thinking that America has been taken over by a small faction of rightwing nationalists.

America is deeply divided, but it’s not divided between fascists and Democrats. It’s more accurate to say that America is divided between the elites and everybody else, and Trump’s election was a rejection of the elites.

That’s not to say plenty of Democrats and progressives don’t vehemently oppose Trump. But the crowds of demonstrators share something in common with our political and media elites: they still don’t understand how Trump got elected, or why millions of Americans continue to support him. Even now, recent polls show that more Americans support Trump’s executive order on immigration than oppose it, but you wouldn’t know it based on the media coverage.

Support for Trump’s travel ban, indeed his entire agenda for immigration reform, is precisely the sort of thing mainstream media, concentrated in urban enclaves along our coasts, has trouble comprehending. The fact is, many Americans who voted for Trump, especially those in suburban and rural areas across the heartland and the south, have long felt disconnected from the institutions that govern them. On immigration and trade, the issues that propelled Trump to the White House, they want the status quo to change.

During his first two weeks in office, whenever Trump has done something that leaves political and media elites aghast, his supporters cheer. They like that he told Mexican president Enrique Peña Nieto he might have to send troops across the border to stop “bad hombres down there”. They like that he threatened to pull out of an Obama-era deal to accept thousands of refugees Australia refuses to admit. They want him to dismantle Dodd-Frank financial regulations for Wall Street and rethink US trade deals. This is why they voted for him.

The failure to understand why these measures are popular with millions of Americans stems from a deep sense of disconnection in American society that didn’t begin with Trump or the 2016 election. For years, millions of voters have felt left behind by an economic recovery that largely excluded them, a culture that scoffed at their beliefs and a government that promised change but failed to deliver.

Nowhere is this disconnection more palpable than in the American midwest, in places such as Akron, a small city in northeast Ohio nestled along a bend in the Little Cuyahoga river. Its downtown boasts clean and pleasant streets, a minor league baseball park, bustling cafes and a lively university. The people are friendly and open, as midwesterners tend to be. In many ways, it’s an idyllic American town.

Except for the heroin. Like many suburban and rural communities across the country, Akron is in the grip of a deadly heroin epidemic. Last summer, a batch of heroin cut with a synthetic painkiller called carfentanil, an elephant tranquilliser, turned up in the city. Twenty-one people overdosed in a single day. Over the ensuing weeks, 300 more would overdose. Dozens would die.

The heroin epidemic is playing out against a backdrop of industrial decline. At one time, Akron was a manufacturing hub, home to four major tyre companies and a rising middle class. Today, most of that is gone. The tyre factories have long since moved overseas and the city’s population has been steadily shrinking since the 1960s. This is what Trump was talking about when he spoke of “American carnage” in his inaugural address.

Akron is not unique. Cities and towns across America’s rust belt, Appalachia and the deep south are in a state of gradual decline. Many of these places have long been Democratic strongholds, undergirded by once-robust unions.

On election day, millions of Democrats who voted for Barack Obama in 2008 and 2012 cast their votes for Trump. In those earlier elections, these blue-collar Democrats were voting for change, hoping Obama would prioritise the needs of working Americans over the elites and special interests concentrated in Washington DC and Wall Street.

For many Americans, Hillary Clinton personified the corruption and self-dealing of the elites. But Trump’s election wasn’t just a rejection of Clinton, it was a rejection of politics as usual. If the media and political establishment see Trump’s first couple of weeks in office as a whirlwind of chaos and incompetence, his supporters see an outsider taking on a sclerotic system that needs to be dismantled. That’s precisely what many Americans thought they were doing eight years ago, when they put a freshman senator from Illinois in the White House. Obama promised a new way of governing – he would be a “post-partisan” president, he would “fundamentally transform” the country, he would look out for the middle class. In the throes of the great recession, that resonated. Something was clearly wrong with our political system and the American people wanted someone to fix it.

After all, the Tea Party didn’t begin as a reaction against Obama’s presidency but that of George W Bush. As far as most Americans were concerned, the financial crisis was brought on by the excesses of Wall Street bankers and the incompetency of our political leaders. Before the Tea Party coalesced into a political movement, the protesters weren’t just traditional conservatives who cared about limited government and the constitution. They were, for the most part, ordinary Americans who felt the system was rigged against them and they wanted change.

Trump voters didn’t care if he said offensive things or spoke off-the-cuff. In fact, they liked that about him

But change didn’t come. What they got was more of the same. Obama offered a series of massive government programmes, from an $830bn financial stimulus, to the Affordable Care Act, to Dodd-Frank, none of which did much to assuage the economic anxieties of the middle class. Americans watched as the federal government bailed out the banks, then the auto industry and then passed healthcare reform that transferred billions of taxpayer dollars to major health insurance companies. Meanwhile, premiums went up, economic recovery remained sluggish and millions dropped out of the workforce and turned to food stamps and welfare programmes just to get by. Americans asked themselves: “Where’s my bailout?”

At the same time, they saw the world becoming more unstable. Part of Obama’s appeal was that he promised to end the unpopular wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, restore America’s standing in the international community and pursue multilateral agreements that would bring stability. Instead, Americans watched Isis step into the vacuum created by the US withdrawal from Iraq in 2011. They watched the Syrian civil war trigger a migrant crisis in Europe that many Americans now view as a cautionary tale. At home, Isis-inspired terrorist attacks took their toll, as they did in Europe. And all the while Obama’s White House insisted that everything was going well.

Amid all this, along came Trump. Here was a rough character, a boisterous celebrity billionaire with an axe to grind. He had palpable disdain for both political parties, which he said had failed the American people. He showed contempt for political correctness that was strangling public debate over contentious issues such as terrorism. He struck many of the same populist notes, both in his campaign and in his recent inaugural address, that Senator Bernie Sanders did among his young socialist acolytes, sometimes word for word.

In many ways, Trump’s agenda isn’t partisan in a recognisable way – especially on trade. Almost immediately after taking office, Trump made good on a promise that Sanders also made, pulling the US out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership and proclaiming an end to multilateral trade deals. He also threatened US companies with a “border tax” if they move jobs overseas. These are not traditional Republican positions but they do appeal to American workers who have watched employers pull out of their communities and ship jobs overseas.

Many traditional Republicans have always been uncomfortable with Trump. They fundamentally disagree with his positions on trade and immigration. Even now, congressional Republicans are revolting over Trump’s proposed border wall, promising to block any new expenditures for it. They’re also uncomfortable with Trump personally. For some Republicans, it was only Trump’s promise to nominate a conservative supreme court justice to replace Justice Antonin Scalia that won their votes in the end – a promise Trump honoured last week by nominating Judge Neil Gorsuch, a judge very much in Scalia’s mould.

Once Trump won the nomination at the Republican national convention, most Republican voters got on board, reasoning that whatever uncertainty they had about Trump, the alternative – Clinton – was worse.

In many ways, the 2016 election wasn’t just a referendum on Obama’s eight years in the White House, it was a rejection of the entire political system that gave us Iraq, the financial crisis, a botched healthcare law and shocking income inequality during a slow economic recovery. From Akron to Alaska, millions of Americans had simply lost confidence in their leaders and the institutions that were supposed to serve them. In their desperation, they turned to a man who had no regard for the elites – and no use for them.

In his inaugural address, Trump said: “Today, we are not merely transferring power from one administration to another or from one party to another, but we are transferring power from Washington, DC, and giving it back to you, the people.” To be sure, populism of this kind can be dangerous and unpredictable, But it doesn’t arise from nowhere. Only a corrupt political establishment could have provoked a political revolt of this scale. Instead of blaming Trump’s rise on racism or xenophobia, blame it on those who never saw this coming and still don’t understand why so many Americans would rather have Donald Trump in the White House than suffer the rule of their elites.

John Daniel Davidson is a senior correspondent for the Federalist. He lives in Austin, Texas

Bruce Monkhouse said:

Oh God - where do I start?

1. The thread you point us to is an old dead one where people who obviously had some court or lawyer or other p**s in their mess tins went to rant. Not going there.

2. "Professional" judges are needed to:

A. interpret badly worded and thought out laws made by amateur legislatures;

B. Protect the civil and human rights of individual citizens from an over-zealous executive; and

C. Provide a more peaceful and reasoned resolution of conflicts between citizens than meeting in the middle of the street at high noon with a .45 in hand.

Time for a whole lot of people (Trump included) to go back to a basic civics lesson on the respective rolls of the three branches of government and the fact that they are "equal" branches. See here: https://kids.usa.gov/three-branches-of-government/index.shtml  ;D and here for a bit more detail: https://www.usa.gov/branches-of-government

:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back