• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

UK Homeland Security Critic Canned for Comments about Minority Troops

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Mod Squad:  Feel free to drop if language is too harsh...

Remember, let's stick to commenting about the content, not getting ugly - I'm sharing because I thought you'd be interested, NOT because I endorse (or not) what was reportedly said.  Shared with the usual disclaimer...

Tories sack MP who attacked 'idle' black troops
Sally Peck, Telegraph Online (UK), 9 Mar 07
Article Link

A Conservative front-bencher who accused "idle and useless" ethnic minorities in the Army of using allegations of racism as a cover for their poor performance has been forced to stand down.

Patrick Mercer, the shadow homeland security minister and a former colonel, claimed that being subjected to slurs like "black bastard" and other racial abuse is common, and to be expected, in the Armed Forces.

"I came across a lot of ethnic minority soldiers who were idle and useless, but who used racism as cover for their misdemeanours," the MP for Newark said of his time in the Army in an interview today with the Times.

A Conservative spokesman initially said the remarks were a "private matter", but later in the afternoon David Cameron asked Mr Mercer to step down, describing his comments as "completely unacceptable".

Mr Cameron has drawn fierce criticism for his party's sluggish response to the controversy.

Sadiq Khan, a Labour MP, said: "Patrick Mercer's comments are deeply shocking and so is the initial response of Cameron's HQ.

"Rather than dismissing it as a 'personal matter' David Cameron's Tory Party should have sacked him immediately. This shows that the Conservative Party has not changed."

Mr Cameron, however, said there were no excuses for racism, and told Sky News that he reacted as soon as he heard the comments.

Before announcing that Mr Mercer would be stepping down, a Conservative Party spokesman told the Daily Telegraph: "These are the personal views of a highly-decorated former officer talking about his real-life experience in the British Army."

Following his resignation, the MP for Newark said: "The offence I have obviously caused is deeply regretted ... and I can only apologise if I have embarrassed in any way those fine men whom I commanded. I have no hesitation in resigning my frontbench appointment."

Mr Mercer drew fire for his comments over an anti-racism union being set up by servicemen from Commonwealth countries, which he labelled "complete and utter rot".

He also suggested that suffering racial abuse was on par with suffering abuse over facial features, hair colour or weight.

"I had five company sergeant majors who were all black. They were without exception UK-born, Nottingham-born men who were English - as English as you and me," he told the Times.

"They prospered inside my regiment, but if you'd said to them: 'Have you ever been called a nigger?' they would have said: 'Yes'. But equally, a chap with red hair, for example, would also get a hard time - a far harder time than a black man, in fact.

"But that's the way it is in the Army. If someone is slow on the assault course, you'd get people shouting: 'Come on you fat bastard, come on you ginger bastard, come on you black bastard'."

Mr Mercer's comments followed a report yesterday that soldiers from the Commonwealth were forming their own trade union because of the abuse and racism to which they were subjected.

Yesterday Pte Marlon Clancy, a Belize-born chef in the Royal Logistics Corps, told the Today programme on Radio 4 that "Commonwealth soldiers are third-class soldiers".

Pte Clancy has set up the British Commonwealth Soldiers Union, which is a union in name only because, under Queen's Regulations, troops cannot belong to a workers' organisation.

Although powerless to strike or negotiate, the union will give advice to members and act as a pressure group.

Mercer statement: 'My deep regret'

"The offence I have obviously caused is deeply regretted.

I had the privilege to command soldiers from across the East Midlands, of whom many came from racial minorities.

It was a matter of great pride to me that racial minorities prospered inside the unit, and, indeed at one stage all of my company sergeant majors were black.

What I have said is clearly misjudged and I can only apologise if I have embarrassed in any way those fine men whom I commanded.

I have no hesitation in resigning my front-bench appointment."

I don't agree with his comments, but what I see here is nothing but extreme Political Correctness gone amok...

GAP said:
I don't agree with his comments, but what I see here is nothing but extreme Political Correctness gone amok...

Actually - after reading it twice, I DO agree with some of his comments (at least those regarding various epithets to be expected when serving).  What he said was, a fat guy may be called a "fat bastard", a redhead may be called a "ginger bastard" and a black guy may be called a "black bastard".  In the context of what he was talking about (training) he's probably correct.

We had a Brit Para Officer on an exchange posting with the Airborne - Capt Holt was his name.  He was the Ops O for AB Sigs, of which I was the Chief Clerk.  I still remember his favourite remark regarding me - thrown in my direction fairly often (Put on fake Brit accent) - "Haaaarding - yew stoooopid baaastard".  Truth be told I still mutter this phrase to myself (in a fake Brit accent) (and aloud) - whenever I make some stupid mistake.

Having last served with Brits in 2000/2001 - I find the remarks regarding the likelihood of being called a "fat bastard" or a "black bastard" quite believable - and not in the least disturbing - given the context in which it was usually said.

Where the good Colonel (Retired) and I part ways is in the PUBLIC smearing of "idle and useless" soldiers using "racism as a cover".  He may WELL have run across SOME such types - but using his privileged seat in the House of Commons to make such a comment is tantamount to smearing ALL minority soldiers with such an accusation - surely not a justified remark.  In my experience all "idle and useless" soldiers, regardless of race, will use whatever excuse seems the easiest and handiest "as a cover" (thus the idle part - they're too lazy to work at even their own DEFENSE!!)

I'm also confused about the RLC Private who accuses himself and his mates of being "third class soldiers" - did he perhaps mean he feels that he's being TREATED as a "third class citizen"??  His meaning escapes me.

Having (probably) (and unintentionally) ignited a flame-war, I'll go back to my hole.  Feel free to call me a "stooopid baaastard" should you feel I merit it.

Roy

I'm with Roy here, for the most part, being abused is par for the course and its one of those things that happens without any racist connetations for the most part. On my recruit course we had blokes from all over and they copped abuse from all over. While the way we talk to each other is not acceptable in public often, it is acceptable in this job. In a army situation you hang shit on every blokes who comes near to you. For Red hair, weight, ethnicity, finger size, colour of undies. And while that is usually fine at work, when a bloke comes out and says it while in a position of power its probably wrong.

I dont know if i'm being very clear,but while he shouldnt have said what he said i dont feel he said anything that bad or insulting. He didnt single out blacks as lazy, just that people hid behind ethnicity. In my short time i've seen everything he's said happen. What he said, i feel, was right but the position he said it in (as an MP) and the context he said it in (while people are foaming at the mouth because of "Racism in the forces, that'd never happen in the civvy world") proved to be his downfall.
Its interesting though, it is a case of political correctness and trying to avoid upsetting people. 

As an ex British squaddie (reg & reserve) I can in all honesty say that idleness has no colour - a squaddie will quite happily do as little as possible and for as long as possible. This politicians comments are just fuelling a myth - in fact due to the fact that there are more whites than blacks in the British military there are a greater number of whites that are idle.

wow statistics at its best eh Rifleman? Hahaha. Well, I dont know I have mixed feelings about that article. I mean sure, beasting is part of any soldier's life, but for a politician to say that out loud, in public, mmmm not so cool. What happens in the Army, (the fun stuff) stays in the Army right?  :D

I totally agree with MedTech.  This fellow is a politician in a country that is going through a period of racial disharmony.  I don't think he was out of line, hey if you don't want to know the truth, don't ask, but, given that his new job had him in 'Homeland Security' I don't think they needed to have a senior official making any comments that involve minority groups, be they black, asian, or red-headed scotsmen.  Hey the Scots are still talking seperation aren't they?

Back