• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Under Armour

BKells

Inactive
Reaction score
I just spent a lot of money on 5 under armour t-shirts (olive green) and 5 pairs of under armour black boxers. I think it's worth it.. a sweat drenched cotton shirt is a big piss off of mine and it was a pain in the ass last summer; ass sweat.. don't even get me started.

I wear it in the gym and under my hocey equipment, it's flat out the best stuff out there. Very pricy though, jeez you can't get anything for under $50. I just gave my father in law an Under Amour Loose Gear shirt for fathers day and he loves it.  8) Try the turf shirt under you combats!

Anyone looking for something better and cheaper should look to Polartec T-shirts.  Under Armour is great for sports, but for its cost, it is a lot of name.

http://polartec.com/products/military.php

This is the new in service under garment line for the US Army, and the three shirts I have are amazing. 

Speaking of Under Armour...  Has anyone tried out the Cold Gear line from them?  Not that it has much relevance this time of year.....

I have, and it works as good as our zip up polypro.

In Afghanistan, I can get the UA gear shirt for $22 US. I got a couple, an they work well in the heat under the armour we wear. It allows for  quick drying and easy movement without the chafing normally assoc with wet undergarments, compression, and movement.

Under Armour Cold Gear is fantastic.  I was running in early March when it was just slightly above 0 degrees wearing just the mock turtle neck and the leggings.  It kept me perfectly comfortable.  My body was not cold at the beginning of the run and I did not overheat at the end.  Not only does the under armour keep your body tempertature regulated but it also feels extremely comfortable.  The mock turtle neck and the leggings are fitted but they did not restrict any of my movement.  The only thing is if you intend on wearing it when the mercury drops the mock turtle neck will not cover your neck and that might be a problem for some.

ive heard that the americans are running into problems wearing underarmour for long periods of time in iraq. Because it pulls all of the sweat away from your body i guess it starts to really stink

Well this person is in A Stan

Armymedic
"I have, and it works as good as our zip up polypro.

In Afghanistan, I can get the UA gear shirt for $22 US. I got a couple, an they work well in the heat under the armour we wear. It allows for  quick drying and easy movement without the chafing normally assoc with wet undergarments, compression, and movement."

PhilB said:
ive heard that the americans are running into problems wearing underarmour for long periods of time in iraq. Because it pulls all of the sweat away from your body i guess it starts to really stink

Well, I guess your choice is either be comfortable and stinky,  or be downright miserable and STILL stinky.....

Kat

PhilB said:

Smell can be a problem if you sweat alot in it.  I wore the heat gear shirts for football practices and games and it wouldn't smell very good afterword (only a few hours in Canadian summer/early fall weather weather).  I imagine it would be quite foul after wearing it all day in 120 degree desert heat.  :o

Synthetic clothing is better than any cotton product.  Cotton just absorbs sweat, meanwhile synthetics breathe, that is why we wear wool socks, so we don't get blisters. Unfortunately our gortex doesn't work as well because of our cotton undershirts.

Docherty said:
Synthetic clothing is better than any cotton product.  Cotton just absorbs sweat, meanwhile synthetics breathe, that is why we wear wool socks, so we don't get blisters. Unfortunately our gortex doesn't work as well because of our cotton undershirts.

Good point. Anyone know if CTS has any plans for a short-sleeve version of the poly pro shirt? That would be awesome. Then again, so would better tac vests, lighter 4-seasons jackets, breathable rain jackets... Who wants to initiate a coup to overthrow the CTS regime and design our OWN equipment?  ;D

Cheers,
Pinky

Submit a UCR to complain about the in service T-shirts.  If no one complains, there will never be a redesign.  Also provide examples on why the in service one is deficient, what you would like to see, what you think is better, and provide contact info for follow up.

That Polartec stuff looks awesome... and I'll bet it's cheaper (but not by much).  I'm going to look into getting some of that.  Hopefully they open the doors to Canadian LE as well as military...

Most of the polartec line is available at MEC, in a variety of colours.  The only difference between the MEC stuff and the straight from Polartec Military stuff is the lack of the odour/bacteria killing silver thread that they weave in to kill the nastiness crawling on our bodies.

I have both UA and 5:11 synthetic tshirts. I prefer the 5:11 shirts, they have anti-bactirial properties and mesh in the armpit area for increased breathability. Only problem is the olive green is more greyish green so it stands out more. Have to pick up some tan/brown ones for August, but after reading Armymedic's post I'll wait till I'm over there...

However, the UA boxer briefs (not compression shorts) are the absolute cats-ass, once you try a pair you will be hooked.

Cheers

Not every experienced in these things but from what I read...

cotton underwear and socks w/ synthetic shirts work best in the field?

Bomber said:
Submit a UCR to complain about the in service T-shirts.   If no one complains, there will never be a redesign.   Also provide examples on why the in service one is deficient, what you would like to see, what you think is better, and provide contact info for follow up.

But there is really nothing wrong with the simple cotton OD green issued t shirt...while it is obviously not the best piece of kit on the market, it does serve its purpose as a comfortable undergarment.

Armymedic said:
But there is really nothing wrong with the simple cotton OD green issued t shirt...while it is obviously not the best piece of kit on the market, it does serve its purpose as a comfortable undergarment.

Couldn't it be argued that everything the army issues us "serves its purpose?" Sure, it serves as a layer between us and our combat shirts, but it could do mroe than that, like wick sweat away from our bodies, for example. What do you mean when you say it "serves its purpose?"

Cheers,
Pinky

I saw some guys on the other thread mention Adidas Clima Cool, if you guys want to save money, go to costco and get SOMO's Cool Max, they are the company that actually makes the adidas stuff. It used to be called Adidas Cool Max, but once they learned the technology, well you know. The stuff at Costco is exactly the same but costs about 25% of what the brand name stuff does!

Back