• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Under Armour

UA ran a deal for us in Afghan through the guys attached to the ETT.

Pte.Pinky said:
Couldn't it be argued that everything the army issues us "serves its purpose?" Sure, it serves as a layer between us and our combat shirts, but it could do mroe than that, like wick sweat away from our bodies, for example. What do you mean when you say it "serves its purpose?"

Cheers,
Pinky

What wicking properties do a great portion of the army need while sitting in thier offices or garrison buildings? Which BTW is how said shirt is used by the majority of people, the majority of the time.

It serves the purpose of being a durable, CHEAP and comfortable undershirt. Are there better ones out there for use under body armour or in hot enviroments? Definately, but do we actually "NEED" it. Probably not.

But, darn, they would be nice to have.

Like I said, there is nothing wrong with the cheap cotton OD shirt.

Armymedic said:
What wicking properties do a great portion of the army need while sitting in thier offices or garrison buildings? Which BTW is how said shirt is used by the majority of people, the majority of the time.

It serves the purpose of being a durable, CHEAP and comfortable undershirt. Are there better ones out there for use under body armour or in hot enviroments? Definately, but do we actually "NEED" it. Probably not.

But, darn, they would be nice to have.

Like I said, there is nothing wrong with the cheap cotton OD shirt.

There might be nothing wrong with the cotton shirt, just like there is nothing wrong with my 2 qt canteen.   But the CF has realized that there is better gear out there and we now get camelbaks issued for use overseas.   So why not better shirts for wicking away moisture.   I'm sure you'll attest to the fact that you get pretty damm sweaty wearing a flak vest with plates and your tac-vest.

I do believe they should initially issue them like they do other kit and give it troops deploying overseas, and then to troops in field units and then finally all the many administrative cogs that make the wheels turn behind the scenes.

There is also nothing wrong with sealskin mukluks, birch branch snowshoes, and a garbage bag for a raincoat.  The technology now exists to make life a lot fluffier, let's use it.

Kat

My only concern with UA gear is its lack of flame resistance - while cotton soaks of sweat and generally is a PITA - it does not burn and "shrink wrap" the user...

Having spent my life in armoured vehicles, and listened long and hard to my step-father, who was a medic attatched to the First Canadian Army Tank Bde in WW2, I too, question the love our Army has developed for 'plastic' - because that's what most of these man-made fibers are, plastic - clothing.  Are we being outfitted for battle, or for camping trips?

Tom

This has been a source of discussion on T-shirts.  There is a company that made a big presentation at the Canadian Textile Industry show about FR material made of cellulose.  The material would only char, but had some of the wicking properties of high tech fiber.  Does anyone have links or information on American problems with burns in Iraq.  We were told the reason the Airforce went with their blue t-shirt was it wicked better and still had cotton to char instead of melt, it is a 75 poly and 25 cotton blend while our current T-shirt is a 50 50 blend.

Bomber - with the American DCU it is of a Cotton Twill - as such it chars - however our Combats with the nylon content go up rather alarmingly - I suspect that the outer DCU will skew the US results lower in comparison with how we would be affected

True however cotton doesn't exactly have the best burning properties either.   I wonder if all the other wicking shirts(coolmax, dri-fit etc etc) have less than desirable flame resistance as well?   Anyone a material wiz?.....before I burn my dri-fit shirts.

FWIW - I was camping with my son last weekend - and a ember popped out of our campfire - landing on my sons coolmax shirt - burnt a 1"x1" whole and scortched him a bit (he's 7 and was a might bit pissed for a while)
Anything with a high poly count will be more apt to flaming and turning into a  burning puddle of goo.  The only way I see to combat it is spec a flame retardant in the material like a nomex/aramide fabric - or find a flame retardant subtsnce that can be applied to the fabric byt the troops (after X # of washings) - and is NOT allergenic or otherwise skin agravating.

At least a t-shirt is somewhat protected by outer clothing/armour/equipment, what about the new fleece balaclava/neck gaitor? Wouldn't a nomex or kevlar fabric be a better choice considering the blast/heat effects of RPGs/IEDs/mines? Or have they been treated to minimize this risk?

They're priority was to come up with something for cold protection first.  One a positive they are working on nomex crew suits and nomex gloves for the LAV.

CFL said:
  One a positive they are working on nomex crew suits and nomex gloves for the LAV.

Since the flightsuit and flight gloves don't work  ::)  A positive would be to issue the old TAN flightsuits for Afghan bound vehicle crews - and issue Nomex flight gloves to all soldiers.

I think he means they work fine, so why re-invent the wheel...

YUP - anything to prolong Tease the Soldier...

I swear some of them are making niches for their grandkids...

For anyone that is interested...

I just ordered a bunch of stuff from rangerjoes.com for Under Armour.

For 9 items, I saved about $150 from the American company, over what I would pay at say...a Sportchek here.

Oh, and UA gives military discount to us, too. At least, that was my experience.

10% off. Call the company, and inquire, they give you a number, and I called Joe's (its in Georgia), and gave them the info. Worked well.

oh, geez...I hope you got a good deal on those shirts, cause custom duties is going to kick in when they appear at the border. That is if R J  can ship them here at all. A couple of the guys I work had problems with them shipping to Canada.

like buying on Ebay, cost price isn't always worth it.

Always send packages as gifts.  There is no brokerage charges on them.  Duties however I'm not so sure on.

KevinB said:
Since the flightsuit and flight gloves don't work   ::)   A positive would be to issue the old TAN flightsuits for Afghan bound vehicle crews - and issue Nomex flight gloves to all soldiers.

Kevin, that's what will definitely be in my gear...the tan nomex long flyers gauntlet-style gloves that I would always buy on my own coin...screw those crappy little brown short glovey thingies the CF always tried to pawn off on me... >:(

I'm heading to K-town (AFG) this Sept and will bring with me in addition to the CADPAT(AR), an old tan 1-pc flight suit I still have (  >:D ) and a couple of 2-pc l/w tan nomex flight suits I purloined from 160th buds south from a previous life (before staff officer hell  ;D ).  I will be checking out the PolarTec u/w gear for when I'm traipsing around town in the AR stuff but will still wear cotton as a non-burning 2nd layer under the FR nomex suits.  Years of habit wearing natural fibre under flying gear and seeing pics of guys wearing either synthetic fibres or short shirts/pants under FR suits and getting flamed and having more than just BSTL (bag-stuck-to-leg) ...uugh...

Armymedic, when you said you got UA stuff for cheap in AFG, do you mean you got it in theatre after getting there?  Did you get in contact with the boys at CFC-A?

I've seen the stuff at UA but can only imagine how badly I'd get arse-raped by the Duties/brokerage fees B*stards!  :rage:

p.s.  Was this the coolmax T's that you guys were talking about?  $16 for coyote brown doesn't seem that bad?  http://www.insport.com/products.cfm?sub_id=88&main_id=16&product_id=601&is_discount=0&product_item_id=1348

Cheers,
Duey

Back