• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Updated Army Service Dress project

When it comes to spending Public Money, the bean counters are terrified of any possible whiff of misappropriation. I have seen simple IT Procurements under 50K die on the vine because the vendor didn't want to wait for us to get throught the many layers of bureaucracy. They have products to sell and time is money.

I honestly think most of the tax paying Canadians would rather see their money spent in a timely manner; with maximum use for money, than have that money sitting committed but unspent on a ledger because "well we need to consider Green/Indigenous/GBA+/Buy Canadian/Struggling industry in Ste Poutain de Caliss, QC in this bid before proceeding..."

To roll back to @Halifax Tar 's original question, anyone who has access to RCAF Hangar (the site where RCafe is accessed) can see the original proposal:
RCAF dress regulations only allow unit ball caps to be worn on the flight line or designated buildings. RCAF members who choose to wear ball caps must also have their wedge cap or beret while travelling to/from work, going between buildings, or going off-base.

The RCN authorizes ship/unit ball caps for wear with NCDs in all locations. Recommend amending CADO 1-006 to allow approved unit ball caps as an optional headdress with CADPAT or flight suit in all locations as well.

Ya we started that way too. Could only wear them on ship, then only in the yard, then only on DND establishments. And on and on until we got to where we are.

It takes a while but eventually common sense prevailed.

I remember when we had to wear 3Bs to and from work. We even posted CPO2s at gates to check people's dress. Everyday was change parade.

The Log Br has a page on that Cafe site thing.

Aircrew enter the chat
I think there’s a difference between being rebellious thinking that one is somehow sticking it to ‘the Man’…and just not really caring what others think and doing what one just wants to do.

^^
I tried to sneak into Esquimalt dockyard wearing gym gear (et wife had dropped me off at the base of the hill) and pretended to run to work. Got busted cause I wasn’t sweating enough. 🫤

Lol you win the net today lol

Not sure how that rumour started, but I have on pretty good authority that the prototype was fine.

The Div CWO thru the WCWO - this ball hat has been a subj at the WCWO Council meetings as far back at Nov ‘21 for me with the message “it’s coming” a laughing point at the Sqn now.

The issue was, and remains, the company (CANEX doesn't make the stuff they sell) not being able to make the amounts required at the time.

And also, there was a difference in intent between Canex and the RCAF in that the Canex wanted to make them available to the public right off the bat and the RCAF wanted a period where they were for serving members only until everyone had one/had a chance to get one out of the first 10k or so on delivery.

My point at that time was the same at that meeting - eliminate the CANEX.

This is why we need 3 separate services again.

The RCN and RCAF poison the well too often around us Army folk. Makes us start looking for loopholes around proper drill, dress, deportment , and discipline* 😜

*Patricias aside....
That’s just the jealousy talking, RW! 😉. Although I did have to keep a close eye on my RCAF gore-tex rain jacket (the one with nice fleece-lined pockets and stealth-mode deployable reflective tape tabs) when I would road-trip up north in AFG…

^^
I tried to sneak into Esquimalt dockyard wearing gym gear (et wife had dropped me off at the base of the hill) and pretended to run to work. Got busted cause I wasn’t sweating enough. 🫤

This. Made. Me. Laugh. Thank you so so much for posting this.

Ya we started that way too. Could only wear them on ship, then only in the yard, then only on DND establishments. And on and on until we got to where we are.

It takes a while but eventually common sense prevailed.

I remember when we had to wear 3Bs to and from work. We even posted CPO2s at gates to check people's dress. Everyday was change parade.

The Log Br has a page on that Cafe site thing.

I remember C2s being at the entrance to Stad and thinking “wtf” and then “lol lol lol”.

Buddy of mine was on course as a Sgt at ADAC/Trinity and got stopped by a C2 for (gasp ) not having the lid on his Tim’s DD cup “properly secured” while walking back to ADAC.

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I remember C2s being at the entrance to Stad and thinking “wtf” and then “lol lol lol”.

Buddy of mine was on course as a Sgt at ADAC/Trinity and got stopped by a C2 for (gasp ) not having the lid on his Tim’s DD cup “properly secured” while walking back to ADAC.

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Lol ya some times we sniff glue lol but damnit when we do, we do it like no one else lol

Which is probably really appropriate when a ship is being decommisioned.
Yeah, logO or MSEO makes sense, as it's the same as commanding a shore unit at that point. I believe it was still a gas station so having a logO is good.

For ships in DWPs having an NWO XO is good as it makes sure someone else can run the random personnel issues.

Edit to add: @dimsum why is a prototype required for a ballcap? Literally the same as what the navy does, just in blue vice black or red. A sample from the supplier is reasonable, but honestly this should just be a standard callup against a supply arrangement for the embroidery with the unit details on it.

Yeah, logO or MSEO makes sense, as it's the same as commanding a shore unit at that point. I believe it was still a gas station so having a logO is good.

For ships in DWPs having an NWO XO is good as it makes sure someone else can run the random personnel issues.

Edit to add: @dimsum why is a prototype required for a ballcap? Literally the same as what the navy does, just in blue vice black or red. A sample from the supplier is reasonable, but honestly this should just be a standard callup against a supply arrangement for the embroidery with the unit details on it.
I think "prototype" is an oopsie on my part. Sample is the right term.

Back