• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Powerball lottery

observor 69

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Toronto bakery serves Powerball tickets to customers who spend more than $20

'We’ve decided the baker’s gonna give away the dough,' owner of World Class Bakers say

World Class Bakers are known for their butter tarts and banana bread but that's not the only reason for the lineups inside and outside their Toronto store on Tuesday.
The St. Clair Avenue West bakery has decided to spread some cheer by giving away hundreds of tickets for the $1.5 billion US Powerball lottery in the United States to customers who spend at least $20. The draw for the largest jackpot in history takes place Wednesday.
We've decided the baker's gonna give away the dough," owner Lisa Guluzian told CBC News. "I hope that someone from this group wins. We're gonna take it all away from the Americans."

One customer who didn't give his name was one of 500 lucky people who got a ticket. The bakery said all the tickets had been claimed by mid-afternoon Tuesday.

'Chance of a lifetime'

"It's a chance of a lifetime," the man told CBC News. "I waited in line for about an hour."

"It's January, everyone's depressed after the holidays but look at all the cheerful people here," she said. "Whether or not they win, they're having a good time for a few minutes. It's a little tiresome but it's fun."

Guluzian said she bought a ticket for herself and said that if she won, she would "give some to her staff, pay off the bills, pay off the rent and do whatever is necessary to keep them in business."

If you didn't get a Powerball ticket on Tuesday, don't worry.

Manager Suzanne King said the promotion was so successful that she was planning on driving to Buffalo Tuesday evening to buy 500 more tickets.

The Multi-State Lottery Association, which runs the game, says the odds of having the winning Powerball ticket are one in more than 292 million.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/powerball-bakery-1.3400675

We've got 90 tickets between 11 of us at work. By my calculations that's $51 million each after US taxes, in USD. Assuming that only one number wins of course, and assuming that number is one of ours. I'm not a religious man but...

When I was driving back to BC from buying some Powerball tickets at Point Roberts, WA, the CBSA officer at the border line up said "So besssssides the powerball tickets....what else did you buy? Got tobacco or alcohol on you?"  :orly:

I must have seen a whole lineup of Canadian drivers at the local grocery store there last weekend.

By the way, there may be a US law that could prevent Canadians from claiming the prize if they win: Not sure about other US states, but in WA, there is a law that prevents the "import of lottery tickets from outside the country" which means that even if you bought the powerball tickets in the US, the US customs may to seize them if they find you on the border with them.

Here's one of the many news reports discussing the implications of that lottery law on Canadian powerball hopefuls.

Video Report: Canadians need to be wary of US lottery laws

S.M.A. said:
... Not sure about other US states, but in WA, there is a law that prevents the "import of lottery tickets from outside the country" which means that even if you bought the powerball tickets in the US, the US customs may to seize them if they find you on the border with them ...
That appears to be a federal "immoral articles" law, which also makes it illegal to bring in documentation "advocating or urging treason or insurrection against the United States".  That's why you arrange to leave tickets in safe hands in the U.S. after you buy - or buy them online and don't print them out unless 1)  you win and 2)  already in the U.S.

Or so I've been told ...

S.M.A. said:
When I was driving back to BC from buying some Powerball tickets at Point Roberts, WA, the CBSA officer at the border line up said "So besssssides the powerball tickets....what else did you buy? Got tobacco or alcohol on you?"  :orly:

I must have seen a whole lineup of Canadian drivers at the local grocery store there last weekend.

By the way, there may be a US law that could prevent Canadians from claiming the prize if they win: Not sure about other US states, but in WA, there is a law that prevents the "import of lottery tickets from outside the country" which means that even if you bought the powerball tickets in the US, the US customs may to seize them if they find you on the border with them.

Here's one of the many news reports discussing the implications of that lottery law on Canadian powerball hopefuls.

Video Report: Canadians need to be wary of US lottery laws

That's the great thing about living on the border. I can leave them over there in my drop box ;D

I wonder if an entity like a small town can be a ticket holder an winner. If bought as a line item and it wins they can use the money to improve infrastructure.

Colin P said:
I wonder if an entity like a small town can be a ticket holder an winner. If bought as a line item and it wins they can use the money to improve infrastructure.

I wonder if the Canadian Government has bought tickets in the hope of paying off the National Debt.  [:D

Duffelblog chimes in:

http://www.duffelblog.com/2016/01/pentagon-spends-10-million-on-powerball-tickets-with-hopes-of-bolstering-f-35-program/

S.M.A. said:

I checked the Powerball site before I bought my ticket.....if you live in the States, then all is good.

At least three tickets out there are worth a pretty penny ...
At least three winning tickets were sold in Wednesday night’s record $1.5 billion Powerball jackpot.

California Lottery officials announced on Twitter that someone in Chino Hills, a suburb of Los Angeles, had purchased a ticket with the winning combination drawn minutes earlier: 4-8-19-27-34 and the Powerball number, 10. Winning tickets were also sold in Florida and Tennessee, the Multi-State Lottery Association said. Results from other states were still pending.

The winners will divide a jackpot that, based on final ticket sales, is worth $1.568 billion*, with a cash option of $983.5 million**, according to the North Carolina Education Lottery ...
* - CDN $2.25 billion as of this post
** - CDN $1.41 billion as of this post

Since I showed up at work today, I obviously didn't win.

milnews.ca said:
That appears to be a federal "immoral articles" law, which also makes it illegal to bring in documentation "advocating or urging treason or insurrection against the United States".  That's why you arrange to leave tickets in safe hands in the U.S. after you buy - or buy them online and don't print them out unless 1)  you win and 2)  already in the U.S.

Or so I've been told ...
  If a person bought it on line and they won, the place you bought it from would have to sign the ticket on your behalf and if they where sleazy about it, what's stopping them from running away with your winnings. 

Back