• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAC minister's announcement ....

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
.... coming tomorrow (8 Jun 12) afternoon according to the VAC Info-machine:
.... The Honourable Steven Blaney, Minister of Veterans Affairs, will make an important announcement while taking part in the annual Normandy Day commemorative ceremony organized by the Fondation du Régiment de la Chaudière. Students from the École secondaire de l’Aubier, Veterans and currently serving Canadian Forces members will participate in the event.

1860, 1st Street, Saint-Romuald

Date: Friday, June 8, 2012

Time: 12:00 p.m. ....

Does anyone know what the substance of his speach was? I have searched all the usual news outlets to no avail.

Words_Twice said:
Does anyone know what the substance of his speach was? I have searched all the usual news outlets to no avail.

The speech is 08 June, so unless someone here owns a functional time machine...

That explains the lack of coverage! I shall now slink away..............

dapaterson said:
The speech is 08 June, so unless someone here owns a functional time machine...

Its 08 June and 1134 over here, I'll type out his speech in a half hour.  ;D

The important announcement (highlights mine)!
The Honourable Steven Blaney, Minister of Veterans Affairs, today participated in a Normandy Day commemorative ceremony involving Veterans and students from École secondaire de l’Aubier. The event gave students an opportunity to learn more about the significant role Canadians played in the liberation of Normandy during the Second World War. Minister Blaney announced support of up to $5,000 toward costs of the event including musicians, singers, wreaths and the flight of doves, through Veterans Affairs Canada’s Community Engagement Partnership Fund.

(....)

The Fondation du Régiment de la Chaudière is the organization behind the Normandy Day event, one of many such events held around the world over the past 10 years to commemorate the liberation of Normandy. The Régiment de la Chaudière, based in Lévis, is one of the only French Canadian regiments that landed on the beaches of Normandy on D Day, June 6, 1944.

The Community Engagement Partnership Fund provides funding for non-profit organizations, schools and other groups interested in organizing remembrance initiatives. Funding applications are accepted throughout the year.

Minister Blaney announced support of up to $5,000 toward costs of the event including musicians, singers, wreaths and the flight of doves, through Veterans Affairs Canada’s Community Engagement Partnership Fund.

Roiters - Later on in the event, Minister Blaney was asked some further questions about his recent announcement.

"I also wanted to get juggling clowns, that rode unicycles.  However, one of my advisers said that it would not be appropriate.  Appropriate I said? When are clowns never appropriate?"

The Minister was then cut short, by two security personnel wearing black suits quickly ushered him into an awaiting vehicle, ending the interview.

:clown:

Ogami Itto said:
Roiters - Later on in the event, Minister Blaney was asked some further questions about his recent announcement.

"I also wanted to get juggling clowns, that rode unicycles.  However, one of my advisers said that it would not be appropriate.  Appropriate I said? When are clowns never appropriate?"

The Minister was then cut short, by two security personnel wearing black suits quickly ushered him into an awaiting vehicle, ending the interview.

:clown:
Lucky it was an "important" announcement, eh? **

** - Yes, I know that for a regimental association of volunteers, $5G from government IS a big deal, but in the big picture?  Considering what else needs to be done for vets?

milnews.ca said:
Lucky it was an "important" announcement, eh? **

** - Yes, I know that for a regimental association of volunteers, $5G from government IS a big deal, but in the big picture?  Considering what else needs to be done for vets?

I had the same thought.. Was thinking there was more to come, then realized that was it...

The hype around the announcement is rather underwhelming....

Still no announcement by those who can, and have power to do so, that they're going to scrap the cashout and return to a pension for our Vets under the NVA eh?

For shame.

ArmyVern said:
Still no announcement by those who can, and have power to do so, that they're going to scrap the cashout and return to a pension for our Vets under the NVA eh?

For shame.

But he did give five grand for musicians and stuff.

Ogami Itto said:
But he did give five grand for musicians and stuff.

Yeah, but no clowns - that news is not going over well on their forum. He better watch out, unicycle riding clowns are the wrong crowd to mess with.  :)

Are they actually intending to do that? Doesn't look like any change is on the horizon from what I have been reading so far.

cdnleaf said:
Yeah, but no clowns - that news is not going over well on their forum. He better watch out, unicycle riding clowns are the wrong crowd to mess with.  :)

But he has allowed a flight of doves.  How sweet, he went all out with his 5 grand to include doves with the singers and prancers.......

Pieman said:
Are they actually intending to do that? Doesn't look like any change is on the horizon from what I have been reading so far.

Exactly my point.

Contact the Law Firm of Miller Thompson, I did. I was sent the opt in documents for the proposed class action law suit. The entire New Veterans Charter will be challenged under section 15 of the Canadian Charter of Rights & Freedoms. It's a slam dunk, all it takes is time and our perservance. A donation to the Equitas Society would not hurt, the are the point section on this.

Back