• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAC minister's announcement ....

ArmyVern said:
Hmmm, we have a few site members attending the Biennial Convention in Nova Scotia ... maybe they can (scoop) tweet us if this announcement is actual required movement forward by VAC ...

Sorry Vern missed this thread earlier (hey I'm schmoozing and it was Newf nite in Dartmouth yesterday) or would have tweeted. As noted some minor cuts to red tape and some promises. It's start but he has a long way to go.

VAC internal today:

Please note that effective immediately and subject to client eligibility, requests for Blood Pressure Monitors shall be approved when they have been prescribed by the client’s physician.  Preauthorization by the Treatment Authorization Centre will be required for A-line clients.

All pending requests for Blood Pressure Monitors shall be processed as described above.

So we just need a national news article to get things covered by VAC? Everyone line up and start calling CTV...

PuckChaser said:
So we just need a national news article to get things covered by VAC? Everyone line up and start calling CTV...

The funny thing is, nothing actually has changed.

The veteran did not play the game, already in place, and got a prescription for a Blood pressure monitor, hence the denial.

So, VAC comes out clean allowing an internal message (Intentionally wanting to be "leaked") that they will approve all Blood preasure monitors prescribed by a Physician.

For fuck sakes, if your GP prescribes an iPhone, as it will monitor your blood pressure, and ensure you make appointments, you will get one as long as your are Pensioned for it..... We got to stop vilifying every freaking aspect of VAC, and realize the systems are in place, just learn how to work it.  Would this same vet treat his home insurance broker the same way?  Oh I didn't know the system,and since I am a Veteran, you owe me leeway when I miss a payment, or demand something in the wrong manner or process!  pffft.

Just another another story about a vet, that was vocal at his local watering hole, and a hungry reporter coming in to "crusade" on his behalf.  Stories like this just make us veterans look bad, in my opinion.

Hello - I work for Veterans Affairs and I can confirm that the new process for requesting health related travel applies to both A and B clients.  I see that there was some question about that in this thread.  If you would like more information, please call our toll-free number at 1-866-522-2122 (English) and 1-866-522-2022 (French)

kmorrow said:
Hello - I work for Veterans Affairs and I can confirm that the new process for requesting health related travel applies to both A and B clients.  I see that there was some question about that in this thread.  If you would like more information, please call our toll-free number at 1-866-522-2122 (English) and 1-866-522-2022 (French)

Fantastic news; thanks for the clarification.

Hopefully this see's some cut to your workload.

I now go back to supporting this initiative ;D.

kmorrow said:

Hey kmorrow,

I have been a long time Veteran, with a pension.  Any way you can grease the wheels and hook me up with some more cash, or neat renos for my Home??

I am a Mod here.  You know, Scratch my back, and I will  Scratch yours?  Hook me up!

BTW, welcome aboard  ;D

John Tescione said:
The funny thing is, nothing actually has changed.

The veteran did not play the game, already in place, and got a prescription for a Blood pressure monitor, hence the denial.

So, VAC comes out clean allowing an internal message (Intentionally wanting to be "leaked") that they will approve all Blood preasure monitors prescribed by a Physician.

For frig sakes, if your GP prescribes an iPhone, as it will monitor your blood pressure, and ensure you make appointments, you will get one as long as your are Pensioned for it..... We got to stop vilifying every freaking aspect of VAC, and realize the systems are in place, just learn how to work it.  Would this same vet treat his home insurance broker the same way?  Oh I didn't know the system,and since I am a Veteran, you owe me leeway when I miss a payment, or demand something in the wrong manner or process!  pffft.

Just another another story about a vet, that was vocal at his local watering hole, and a hungry reporter coming in to "crusade" on his behalf.  Stories like this just make us veterans look bad, in my opinion.

I have no problem whatsoever villifying EVERY aspect of VAC. Every single claim I have made to VAC was initially denied, and every single claim that wound up in the departmental review stage was eventually approved. They have an insurance company mentality, and in my opinion, that is not what VAC should be. The "benefit of doubt" provisions in both the Pension Act and the NVC are clearly being cast aside. I almost have the feeling that VAC are denying claims in an effort to preserve their jobs. Let me explain. Their legacy clients, WW2 and Korea vets are passing away at the rate of over 100 a day. I base these numbers on a recent American Dept. of Veterans Affairs report dated May of 2012 that state over 1000 WW2 and Korean War vets are dying very single day, and I am using the rough 10 to 1 American/Canadian veteran ratio. To deny an initial claim, regardless of the merits of the claim, forces the applicant to endure up to 6 months of appeals and reviews, and the unfortunate few who end up at the VRAB appeal level. VAC are screwing with current vets to preserve their jobs by dragging out the process, knowing full well there are no repercussions for their actions. Again, my opinion only.

I totally agrees with you on that. I broke my knee on a para drop and had my claim denied and had to appeal. I couldn't beleive it.

Well, it's obvious, isn't it? You clearly joined with a broken knee, and your service in no way contributed to your pre existing broken knee.

I called the VAC Ombudsman last week to complain that VAC is acting like an insurance company the person I got on the phone totally agreed with me after I explained my situation to them. However only 10 other people have called in this year to complain about the insurance company mentality. So if more people call in about the same issue that is the only way we will get change.

A lot of what the VAC does is similar to an insurance company.  There's a lot of crossover, including types of services, legal processes, admin process, types of epxerience, staff training, organizations they are members of, and conferences they attend.  I wouldnt be surprised if prior experience at an insuarnce company is a plus for being hiring at a VAC position.

Back