• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Verification of Former Service (VFS) [Merged]

• Thread starter maple_leaf_forever
  • Start date
my opinion, as never had a decision like that to take since i was to chicken not to transfer to Reg force due to family issue, I decided to stay with the Pres.

Take a sheet of paper, and make 2 columns, on one side puts goods of joining back and on the other column, put the cons of going back. and after doing the pros and cons, you will have your answer.

but if you want my humble opinion, for what it counts...Go for it. Yes it will be a different platoon, different people...but everyone who goes there are there to succeed, and you find a new team spirit. If I was not chicken...I would transfer!!

Just looked through a lot of prior posts and did not really find one to add this to so started new thread. Search did not find this at the time.

CANFORGEN 072/09 CDS 012/09 221848Z APR 09
- CF RETENTION STRATEGY - IMPROVED PROCEDURES TO RETURN TO REGULAR FORCE SERVICE
UNCLASSIFIED

REFS: A. ROD FROM AFC 21 JAN 09
B. QR AND O CHAP 6, ENROLMENT AND RE-ENGAGEMENT
C. DAOD 5002-1, ENROLMENT - REGULAR FORCE
D. CBI 204.015, PAY INCREMENTS
BILINGUAL MESSAGE/MESSAGE BILINGUE

AS MANY OF YOU ARE AWARE, THE RE-ENROLMENT PROCESS FOR FORMER REGULAR MEMBERS WAS INEFFICIENT. IN AN ATTEMPT TO REBUILD AND STRENGTHEN OUR FORCES, I AM PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE THAT THE PROCESS TO RE-ENROL HAS NOW BEEN SIGNIFICANTLY STREAMLINED

EFFECTIVE 01 APR 09, AND IAW REF A, THE MEMBER PERSONNEL RECORD RESUME (MPRR) WILL BE THE SOURCE DOCUMENT FOR PREVIOUS REGULAR FORCE MEMBERS WHO MEET ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS:

PREVIOUS CF REGULAR FORCE EXPERIENCE AND CURRENTLY A CIVILIAN OR A MEMBER OF A RESERVE FORCE SUB-COMPONENT OTHER THAN THE PRIMARY RESERVE. NOTE THAT CURRENT PRIMARY RESERVE MEMBERS WILL CONTINUE TO USE THE EXISTING COMPONENT TRANSFER PROCESS

RELEASED FROM THE REGULAR FORCE WITHIN THE PAST 5 YEARS

OCCUPATION QUALIFIED

RELEASED FROM THE REGULAR FORCE UNDER ITEMS 4, 5B OR 5C

MEETS ALL OTHER QUALIFICATIONS, CONDITIONS AND STANDARDS FOR ENROLMENT OR COMPONENT TRANSFER

DESIRES RE-ENROLMENT TO PREVIOUS OCCUPATION

THE REGULAR FORCE MPRR WILL BE THE MAIN SOURCE USED TO DETERMINE RANK AND QUALIFICATIONS FOR INDIVIDUALS RETURNING TO REGULAR FORCE SERVICE. RANK, TIME IN RANK AND YEARS OF SERVICE ON RELEASE WILL BE CREDITED TO THE INDIVIDUAL APPLYING TO RE-ENROL INTO THE REGULAR FORCE. THIS INFORMATION WILL BE THE BASIS FOR THE D MIL C DETERMINATION OF RE-ENROLMENT OFFER. ERRORS FOUND IN THE MPRR CAN BE CORRECTED THROUGH THE USE OF ORIGINAL DOCUMENTATION

FORMER REGULAR FORCE MEMBERS WILL BE RE-ENROLLED INTO THE REGULAR FORCE AT THE SUBSTANTIVE RANK INDICATED ON THEIR REGULAR FORCE MPRR WITH THEIR QUALIFYING SERVICE USED TO DETERMINE PAY AND SENIORITY LEVELS. TOS WILL BE OFFERED ON THE BASIS OF SERVICE REQUIREMENT AND EXISTING QR AND O PROVISIONS

THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT CHANGE TO CURRENT ENROLMENT PRACTICES WHICH I BELIEVE WILL GO A LONG WAY TOWARDS REINFORCING MY COMMITMENT TO FORMER REGULAR FORCE MEMBERS WHO POSSESS SKILL SETS THAT WE REQUIRE.

SIGNED BY GEN W.J. NATYNCZYK, CDS

Hi there,

I've been re-applying on may 15 and the girl in charge of my file told me she would have to send an archive request for my past services within the force. (10 years ago) She also stated that she needed confirmation from Kingston, Ottawa and Longue-Pointe.

How many time does it usualy takes for thoose archives to come back? I mean, she told me she had to wait for thoose before scheduling an interview and medical.

I took a Release in 1978 and returned to the Reserves.  The Release Section was not very helpful and never told me about going onto the SUP List.  I was back into the Regs in 1979 before my records caught up to me from the Archives.

Remember, this is before they did everything digitally, and it took over a year.  Do not be surprised if it takes almost as long today, depending on circumstances of your previous Service and how your files were handled, and the administrative procedures/delays involved in retrieving your files.

Your former (Regular Force) Unit is required to keep your Medical File for a year before sending it to Health Services and then to the Archives.  Your Pers File also has regulated "holding times" that various organizations must follow prior to it going into the Archives.

These are factors you will face in retrieving your files.

In your case, 10 years would mean that all your files should be in the Archives.  They may not be digital copies and may be in a stack of files to be entered digitally into a database.  This may create a delay as someone will now have to look through those stacks to find your file(s).

Other than saying that it could take a couple of weeks to a year as a guesstimation, I don't think anyone could accurately predict when your files will be retrieved.

Sounds like what is been done is a VFS "Verification of Former Service"  In the last year I have done three of these for people wanting to join my unit. One was a guy who was reg then went res and then on the sup res list.  The VFS took about two months for him.  The other two are long retired guys who are becoming our honorary COL and LCOL.  It's been about 10 months now and I haven't heard anything back on them.  So I guess it depends on how old your records are and how long you have been out.

According to what is said here, it's more a pain in the *** than just be new to army.

I havn't been a long time in the army 10 years before... Did 2 months of the BMQ and then VR for medical and personal reasons (released 4c) Had an injury and had death in near familly. So my release reason depends on my past medical I guess. But they should'nt search too far once they have it, was a minor feet injury

Anyways, thanx for the advise. I will enjoy my freedom now and wait until they found the file(s). I will certainly call them once each two weeks (CFRC) to ensure the file isn't felt between two chairs.

Hello,
I'd like to get some info on these 2 trades that the CF website doesn't offer.  I'm currently in the process of releasing from the reg force after 8 years in the artillery.  I'm thinking about joining the reserves, but I have little interest in continuing on as a gunner.  Would any of the members here know if either of these 2 trades (EGS / ED Tech) are offered in the reserve world? If so are the employing units few and far between or are these trades just part of the big family that a reservist support unit would employ - ie: Sup Techs, MSE OP's, V-Techs, Cooks etc. all parading together in a service battalion unit.

Also getting back into the reg force is a real possibility for me, as I'm not bitter or jaded with the CF. So what would the wait time be like to get back into the reg force - how bad off are these trades for personal and how often does the engineer school in Gagetown run a QL3?

Jake J

You asked similar questions last year.  Please read some of the links provided, and the try a Search of some of the topics you are asking about.  We weren't born yesterday, and we have covered most of what you are asking in detail.

Sorry to post another downer, but I too found it much harder to re-enlist than to join fresh off the street. Counter-intuitive, you bet! I had this request for former service as well, and it took 3 years as part of my records were in archives and the other part  elsewhere (that is all I ever learned of that). I requested an access to information as any civilian has the right and I got it back in a month, while the recruiting center still took the extra 2 years and some to get the same, and of course they needed it directly from the source and my copy wasn't acceptable. Keep your chin up!

I called on tuesday this week and my file was felt between two chairs (to make a difference) and the cpl to who I spoked to just gave me a medical appointment for june 30 !

The things are going on now, after then, the "normal" procedures will go on (I guess!) and a few weeks later will follow the interview (if medicaly qualified) and then the merit list, the contract and finaly the BMQ!

I think the only tip is to call them often to ensure the file is keeping going, it seems that they have trouble making the files to follow their route.

hellow everyone I was just thinking about rejoining the cf's. Here are my circumstances.. I just when i was 17 and now 19. I was really young (and still am haha) and was my first time away from home and was very scared. But I really want to rejoin but i left for the wrong reason and i put on my vr form was "that it wasnt for me." But I REALLY want to rejoin for all the right reasons which are job security, traveling, and a few others. BUT when they are going to ask me "why should we reenroll you" I can't say it was my first time away from home. I was thinking about lieing (trust me its good) but I don't think its right or legal. PLEASE HELP what should I say considering my application is already in and im very worried.

I'm gonna let you in on a secret... it'll be helpful for this situation an the rest of your life.

Be honest an truthfull with people. Don't give people BS stories, etc.

I wasn't really looking for an ethical reviue im oviously not going to lie. My question is whats something that would impress the recruiter so i can be back  on my way to bmq.

Honesty, will always impress. The recruiter's are looking for people with integrity, show them some and I'm sure they will show you some understanding.

Ok, we'll the only reason I am posting is because I nevous about how the recruiter said "we will see the reasons for why you left".

newrecuitez said:
I wasn't really looking for an ethical reviue im oviously not going to lie. My question is whats something that would impress the recruiter so i can be back  on my way to bmq.

The 2 sentences in your post conflict each other. Unless of course you want to hear that "the truth" is the something that would impress the recruiter.

No it doesn't I just want to know if its even possible to get in? maybe i said it in to many words.

Yes it's possible. I was once in, got out and then rejoined a few years later.

Just make sure you know why you left, and why you want back in. You can be sure they will ask you on your interview.

Most of all; be honest.

Thats great to hear I have had this burning feeling in my gut ever since I left. Its almost like a calling. =). Besides always having a place to sleep and a decent salary job security(and many more but to many to name).

Jesus wept!  What kind of organization do you think the CF is?  We don't care you got out before as long as you weren't kicked out for some disgusting reason.  You have changed your mind and now want to rejoin, big freaking deal.  The CF doesn't hold grudges.  You aren't the first and you certainly won't be the last.  Now worry about something else.

Back