• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Victoria is facing a public-safety crisis

Drove west down Pandora after work yesterday. Traffic was slow so I had an opportunity to rubberneck more than usual. FFS, the place gets worse by the week. I thought the FTP sign taped to the front of 941 was a nice touch (a building whose maintenance falls under my umbrella.) I saw VPD dealing with a few of the denizens outside of Our Place during the summer when I thought at the time it had reached peak crazy (nope). The looks on their faces said it all.

Oh, and if you're missing a bike, it's likely down there getting parted out.

Drove west down Pandora after work yesterday. Traffic was slow so I had an opportunity to rubberneck more than usual. FFS, the place gets worse by the week. I thought the FTP sign taped to the front of 941 was a nice touch (a building whose maintenance falls under my umbrella.) I saw VPD dealing with a few of the denizens outside of Our Place during the summer when I thought at the time it had reached peak crazy (nope). The looks on their faces said it all.

Oh, and if you're missing a bike, it's likely down there getting parted out.

The last time I walked into the London Drugs down that way I had to wait while two thieves burst out of the place with their arms loaded. A guy from the store was in hot pursuit but stopped near the door. He said they couldn't pursue them down the street, which the bad guys have clearly figured out.

No wonder these folks are pissed...

London Drugs forms anti-crime coalition with other BC retailers​

“More and more British Columbians are afraid to walk in their own streets and shopping districts, employees fear being assaulted at work, and local businesses are losing millions from brazen in-store theft that leads to higher prices for BC families,” the coalition said in a statement.

This is all culminates in more videos of business owners and security guards beating the smoke out of people.

The my rightfully feel they have no recourse anymore.

Unfortunately, vigilanteism is the historically inevitable outcome when governments are unable or unwilling to preserve public order.

Is it unfortunate or is it the natural evolution a society, it must rise and fall ?

The last time I walked into the London Drugs down that way I had to wait while two thieves burst out of the place with their arms loaded. A guy from the store was in hot pursuit but stopped near the door. He said they couldn't pursue them down the street, which the bad guys have clearly figured out.

“More and more British Columbians are afraid to walk in their own streets and shopping districts, employees fear being assaulted at work, and local businesses are losing millions from brazen in-store theft that leads to higher prices for BC families,” the coalition said in a statement.

They can follow them out the door, they can follow them down the streets, they can do a citizens arrest the whole time.

That being said usually the company itself puts limitations on their employees arresting thieves.

Our citizens arrest laws are actually fairly reasonable, people just refuse to utilize them.

They can follow them out the door, they can follow them down the streets, they can do a citizens arrest the whole time.

That being said usually the company itself puts limitations on their employees arresting thieves.

Our citizens arrest laws are actually fairly reasonable, people just refuse to utilize them.
People who do usually get prosecuted by the nanny state under pretense that they used excessive force.

Chilling effect that discourages people from exercising those options.

Unfortunately, vigilanteism is the historically inevitable outcome when governments are unable or unwilling to preserve public order.
It's companies own polices that limit the security guards actions. They are in their rights to affect an arrest during the commission of a crime. So that would not be vigilantism. Seeing a known thief walking down the street and then taking them into the alley to beat the crap out of him would be.

Did you have an Emerald Toilet flashback of butt-stroking the two miscreants with your SLR?

People who do usually get prosecuted by the nanny state under pretense that they used excessive force.

Please direct me to one case of that. I know thats the rumour but I have never actually seen a charge for someone using excessive force in a citizens arrest. From what I can tell citizens arrests are quite rare in this country.

Not many people know about them/are willing to do them. Most companies don’t want their employees doing any of that and most citizens are afraid to get involved/of potential consequences

The same reason extremists parties grow on both sides of the spectrum.…an inability or unwillingness of mainstream parties to deal with the issues.
I think we need to look at the law as it is currently written. There are LEOs and lawyers on this forum and can better explain the bail laws far better than I can.

Utter nonsense. Lawful s.494 arrests happen regularly and without incident. So long as the arresting person (usually loss prevention/security guard/bouncer) is expeditious about calling for police to come take custody, and they don’t actually use excessive force, they’re fine. Have some gone overboard? Sure. Are those conducting lawful and reasonable ‘citizens arrests’ regularly persecuted by the justice system? No. Usually if things go sideways it’s because the arrested person gets violent and things escalate.

Not Victoria per se, but Salt Spring Island so close enough...

View attachment 81104

Dude, don't harsh the buzz....

Camping Free People GIF by MOST EXPENSIVEST

Back