• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Want to join the U.S. Military? That may become reality again .....

Sounds like a good idea to me - and just the kinds of citizens both the US and Canada require.

Funny that these "officials" deride the use of foreigners, but only one in six hundred of them are willing to do the job themselves.

start handing out pay raises and then we'll talk!  ;D

If this were 4 years ago, id really be considering it... but the green maple leaf machine already owns me lol  :salute: :cdn:

This is an extreme measure that basically says, "We cannot sustain our armed forces with our own citizenry." My my opinion, there are many interim steps that need to be hit before we open our ranks to recruitment of foreigners. Here are a few of them as examples:

1) full mobilization of the Guard and reserves.
2) reinstatement of a partial/full draft
3) use of the IRR and retired reserve to a larger extent for targeted shortages in critical MOS's.
4) Streamline the process for reserve Soldiers who want to augment into active duty.

I'm sick and tired of a war where the government keeps saying, We're at war," but a fraction of a minority are doing the fighting and dying. This is the fourth Christmas since 9-11 and it sickens me to see the malls filled to the bursting point with people who could care less that Americans are in a war.
If this is the "struggle of our time" we need to stop using it as an advertisement and make it reality. Our government is framing this as a fight against good and evil, not some small war on the periphery.

I realize that foreigners have performed valuable service to the US. But these service members served in wars where the draft was in effect, as during the Vietnam War, and in the Civil War and the World Wars, where the entire nation was mobilized.

The bigger question is, "Who is supposed to pay the price for our wars?" My answer is "Americans."

Historically, large empires have used sizeable quantities of foreign troops to achieve their military goals (Napoleonian France and Roman Empire for example) with very mixed results. It is a valid recruiting tactic, in my opinion, but one to be used with caution and in last resort. There is currently, as been pointed out, a large number of troops idle in Canada, who could be deployed with a refresher and pre-deployment training. If we really decide we need a larger military (wich I doubt, I would rather buy better equipment for what we already have, and keep betting on quality rather then quantity), there are numbers of possible avenues we can explore before getting to "importing soldiers".

Douke

Sorry to sound like a troll, but doesn't this thread belong here:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/28732.0.html

The issue of allowing individual non-resident foreigners into the US military is related to the issue of creating a US Foreign Legion.

sounds like starship troopers

Service equals citizenship

And there is nothing wrong with that IMO

I recomended this almost 2 years ago.Proof that decision making moves at a glacial pace. ;)

I don't think it's a bad thing....I immigrated, served my time in the USMC, and came home. Other than some teasing,  no problem. I had my choice to apply for American citizenship, but at that time they would not allow dual citizenship, so I declined.

GAP said:
I don't think it's a bad thing....I immigrated, served my time in the USMC, and came home. Other than some teasing,  no problem. I had my choice to apply for American citizenship, but at that time they would not allow dual citizenship, so I declined.

GAP,

I am a little confused about something. You said " I don't think it's a bad thing". What are you referring to when you say "it"? The very act of serving the US military even if it's not your home country? Or the long, unreasonable immigration process one goes through just to get a greencard through work sponsorship? (well those who marry get their greencards from USCIS/formerly INS faster). I just wanted to clarify what you meant by the statement. Happy Holidays to you!

CougarKing

CougarKing said:
GAP,

I am a little confused about something. You said " I don't think it's a bad thing". What are you referring to when you say "it"? The very act of serving the US military even if it's not your home country? Or the long, unreasonable immigration process one goes through just to get a greencard through work sponsorship? (well those who marry get their greencards from USCIS/formerly INS faster). I just wanted to clarify what you meant by the statement. Happy Holidays to you!

CougarKing

I did not require a green card to serve in the military, only if  I got out and wanted to live and work in the US. I could have applied for one, but had no desire to.

GAP said:
I did not require a green card to serve in the military, only if  I got out and wanted to live and work in the US. I could have applied for one, but had no desire to.

GAP,

I'm sorry but I don't understand. It's in the regulations a foreign citizen must be a greencardholder or also possess US citizenship in order to serve in the US military nowadays. How did a Canadian like you join the US military WITHOUT a GREENCARD? I don't think you mentioned here you were a dual US/Canadian citizen.

I just want some clarification- better yet we can clarify this in the chatroom right now if you want instead of muddling a nice thread. Happy Holidays!

CougarKing

It was not a requirement when I joined. I simply immigrated to the US, the USMC guaranteed my care and custody for one year, and I was good to go.

You served in Vietnam? In those days it was different.

GAP said:
It was not a requirement when I joined. I simply immigrated to the US, the USMC guaranteed my care and custody for one year, and I was good to go.

GAP said:

GAP,

Oh yeah, you joined during the Vietnam War-sorry if I didn't read your profile- when the regulations were less stringent for foreigners joining. I see. But you must be well aware then that only greencardholder foreigners and those foreigners who also hold US citizenship are the only ones who can join nowadays? Thanks for your replies and for your Vietnam service. Happy Holidays!

If a foreigner becomes a citizen, he is no longer a foreigner. ;D
Existing law allows for corporations to sponsor employees for a green card. This is the law that DoD could also use to recruit foreign born persons for employment in the military.

Hrm... I looked into getting into the US Army for some time, but with no DIRECT relatives, and no corporation about to sponsor me, no luck.  Since then, I've been patiently awaiting my job offer.  Wished the rules were a little different, as in to include Canada in the I-551 Diversity Lottery or something like that.

This whole issue is to laugh! The Western world is in a competition to attract the best people to immigrate to their country.  Demographics show that most countries, Canada included, are in a neutral or negative population growth. The most valuable commodity today that a country can posess is  the brain power, intelligence and talent of it's people. The US and Canada only stand to gain from attracting the best and brightest of immigrants. Of course there should be entry requirements but for the US or Canada to recruit foreigners only makes good demographic sense.

Baden  Guy said:
This whole issue is to laugh! The Western world is in a competition to attract the best people to immigrate to their country.  Demographics show that most countries, Canada included, are in a neutral or negative population growth. The most valuable commodity today that a country can posess is  the brain power, intelligence and talent of it's people. The US and Canada only stand to gain from attracting the best and brightest of immigrants. Of course there should be entry requirements but for the US or Canada to recruit foreigners only makes good demographic sense.

Baden,

Having unsuccessfuly tried to immigrate to the United States myself when I was studying there on a student visa, I don't think this issue is amusing at all. I'd like you to point to a link to any of the figures that show that America has a "neutral or negative population growth". Otherwise I don't  necessarily agree that your statement applies to America.

CougarKing

Back