• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Warm clothing for the field

Docherty

Inactive
Reaction score
I am looking for some new kit to keep me warm, right now I am wearing an Under Armour Shirt, fleece, tunic, my gortex jacket, and I still get really cold  :eek:  Has any one tried the Under Armour Cold Gear? Does is work? Do Stealth Jackets work? Basically I am just looking for  some advice, anything will help!

Short answer: put on your parka.

Long answer:
I noticed by your profile you are not yet trained in your trade, my advice to you is simple.  Until you get a couple of winters under your belt and identify specific deficiencies in your kit, don't waste any of your hard earned dollars.  While better exists out there countless forays up north and cold wainwright/petawawa/valcartier winters have proven that what you are issued is more than sufficient to keep you warm and dry when used properly.  The key to it all of course is tailoring your equipment to your mission, the environment you will be working in and your activity level.  This is generally accomplished by understanding the principle of layering and how your body looses and produces heat and ventilating.   If you aren't sure what should be worn when and how much seek out a mentor or use your chain of command as ultimately they are responsible for your health and combat effectiveness.  I am willing to bet among all the wealth of experience on this board that I am not unique here in that I have ordered younger troops in my section to change socks, or to remove heavy clothing before marches or intense activities and all sorts of other bonehead moves made due to a lack of experience.
While you say you are getting really cold it is not very helpful, the problem is more complex than that.  Where are you cold?  What are you doing?  What is your mission?  If for instance you put on all this kit because you are freezing your sack off and then go for a nice long walk the problem is probably you are sweating like a fiend and the moisture is to blame.  Maybe your kit selection would be fine on the march but inadequate for standing around doing VCP's all day.  Some people have cold heat and hands, others, myself included have very hot sweaty feet and have to take pains to keep the feet dry, the socks rotating and my feet powdered.  You have to experiment and find out how you as an individual experiences cold and what combinations of things keep you warm.  What I am getting at in my round about way is before you start spending $70 for underarmour cold gear shirts, find out what the reason you are cold is and then address it, through what you are issued hopefully and if nothing fits then go looking, but i mean hey ... its your cash.  Just keep in mind all the $100 shirts in the world wont keep you warm if you are making $0.10 decisions and knowledge and experience will keep you much warmer than anything you can buy.  Ive run on at the mouth long enough, if you cant find a mentor, read through the winter warfare pam (http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/ael/pubs/300-002/B-GL-323/003/FP-001/B-GL-323-003-FP-001.pdf) if none of that helps don't hesitate to send me a PM and we can hopefully get to the root of your problem. 
As for your specific questions, yes I personally use UA cold gear shirts because the issue ones tend to bunch up on me when moist and give me chaffing like a son of a *****.  They are decent but pricey and better is out there.
Yes stealth suit jackets work but they keep you warm by keeping the water out and your sweat moving up through your other layers.  They are a one ply garment with almost no insulative value.

To recap, my advice find out why you are cold and tailor your (ISSUED!) kit to solve the problem.

Up the Guards!
daniel

(all that said I am foaming at the mouth for the first run of ICE Tactical's CADPAT TW hardshells to be complete, Matt Fisher and crew are determined to make a pauper out of me ...)

deh said:
(all that said I am foaming at the mouth for the first run of ICE Tactical's CADPAT TW hardshells to be complete, Matt Fisher and crew are determined to make a pauper out of me ...)

You and me both...

Docherty, I also use UA Cold Gear. I don't find it to be much warmer than issue, just more comfortable under layers, body armour etc. Also, the issue fleece jacket is very thin, and the goretex jacket has no insulation. I would suggest a thick fleece jacket, I know mec sells them cheap, or if you don't mind the $$ something like a Snugpac jacket, but I'd try the cheaper option first.

Try a USGI Poncho+ranger blanket, for keeping you warm when your not moving or on sentry etc, the ranger blanket is issued and a USGI poncho is only about 30 dollars.  Stealth jackets are also a good wind blocker, if its cold out but I am moving, I find a stealth jacket, underarmour loosegear shirt and issued thermal top works very well and is pretty breathable.

Docherty said:
I am looking for some new kit to keep me warm, right now I am wearing an Under Armour Shirt, fleece, tunic, my gortex jacket, and I still get really cold  :eek:  Has any one tried the Under Armour Cold Gear? Does is work? Do Stealth Jackets work? Basically I am just looking for  some advice, anything will help!

I notice you don't mention head gear.  A significant (75%? 80% - somewhere around there, depending upon which experts you listen to) amount of body heat loss is through the top of your head.  The brain requires vast amounts of blood, and there's no insulation up there.  When I used to teach winter warfare, I always referred to the toque as the "thermostat" - if you're hot, back the toque off a bit, if you're cold, pull it down and insulate more of the head with it.

That being said - the best way to keep warm is to exercise.  When I was with the Airborne we used to go North (waaaay North) in the winter.  I recall times when it was minus 30, and we were stripped down to our t-shirts because we were working so hard pulling our tobognas over the ice-pack.  The moment we stopped, however, it was imperative that we slowly add layers as the sweat evaporating would rapidly cool your body.  Once we started again, the layers came off as we heated up.

If, on the other hand, you're sitting/standing around in a snow-crete defensive position, you need all the layers you can get.

The worst thing you can do (as noted by other posters) is get wet - either through sweat, melting snow, rain, etcetera.  Is it possible that you are OVER dressing and sweating too much??

As I see it, there's several stages to heating up/cooling down. Bottom line is: Only wear the bare minimum of heating stuff required. This is to ensure that if you get used to a level of insulation and it gets colder you can add insulation instead of just getting colder. You can be wearing all the layers in the world but if your body has stopped it's own furnacing abilities because it's used to being inside or moving then as soon as you go outside or stop moving you're going to feel cold.

As was stated earlier, try not to sweat in your layers, this will get them wet and reduce their effectiveness later on. As your sweating your body will be getting used to the raised temperature.. not something you want. Take layers off for sweaty work.

If you're not moving, in order to keep warm you'll want to add layers around the neck/head/face/hands/feet as well as the chest. Those i find are the most sensitive. Try to move a little bit if you can.. even if it's wiggling your toes. If you're laying down or sitting in the snow, you can toss something down on the snow to lay on maybe? The only problem with this is that as soon as you're back to moving/other things you're going to be used to the extra insulation and might get pretty cold...

Don't take my word for anything either...

Docherty said:

My look at this.....You are cold because you are wearing too much for the weather that you are experiencing.  You have gotten too warm and have sweat.  The sweat/moisture is your worse enemy in the cold.  It will cause you to loose heat, and not allow you to overcome that problem, because you can not dry out. 

Take some of the advice above, from the guys who have been to the North and Arctic.  I remember being in the Northern part of Baffin Island and the kids of Pond Inlet were playing street hockey in their pajamas at 0230 on a December morning.  (They have no sense of time up there)  You have to learn how to use layers of clothing in the cold.  But most important, you have to stay clean and dry.  If that means taking a layer or two off, so be it.  And as pointed out, most of your heat lose is through your head, so a proper hat/toque is advised also.

I just got a Cabela's catalog in the mail today (don't know why...) and I noticed that they sell the ECWCS Polartec Power Dry stuff that the US Military uses.  Looks like good kit, but again, expensive.

I bought long john's and a long john's shirt and i wear it under my close when its cold i find i really helps, I find that you keep warmer if you don't think about it the more you think the colder it gets just my two sense good luck and finding any warm clothes but ya like i said it is not very expensive and pretty warm that would be your best bet. :salute:

Lookin around. Where is a good place to pick up a USGI Poncho. The lightweight woodland one everyone talks about. I know of two trust worthy places online, RangerJoes.com, and USCav.com, that sell them for 40 USD. Actual US issue. Anyone know a place in Canada, preferably online, to get one?  A site that you would trust giving your credit card to. Or a place around Toronto?

Robert

You got some really good advice on here from some guys with way more experience than me, but being in the infantry i have gained a fair bit of experience regarding clothing. I have found that unless your compltely stationary for an extending time its best to wear only enough clothes to keep u uncomfortably cold, but not to the point where it affects your performance. that way when u start moving ull be alot less likely to overheat. and the toque is gold, best piece of kit to warm up, i have it with me year round. And i didnt look into all the other posts but dressing in layers is very important as well. the issue polypro is some good kit, make sure it is right nexty to your skin so as to make full use of its quick drying and moisture wicking capabilities, dont make the same mistake i used to and what alot of rookies do... no cotton t shirt under the thermal underwear, ull freeze. the best layering is the moisture wicking next to skin, then a warm layer(fleece) then a wind breaking layer(stealth suit if u have bought one) with that type of layering including the stealth suit i know at about -10C i have been moving and sweated a gallon of sweat, only to stop in position and was completely dry in about 20 minutes. moisture is the key, u need to make use of the moisture wicking and breathability of your kit.

To make all of your stuff last, don't wash it with Fabric softner or bouncy/fleecy sheets.  The chemicals added clog the pours, and soon your 80 dollar UA may as well bue your old rain jacket, breathability ends.

Here's my .02

Like others have mentioned, a toque is the smallest and most efficient piece of snivel kit out there. When I joined a few years ago, I read a post on these very forums suggesting that one should always bring a toque, no matter where and no matter what time of year. Its solid advice, and even right now in the middle of June I have my fleece toque tucked away in my smallpack and ready to go into the field. A good polar fleece toque has saved my ass on more then one occasion.

My other favourite piece of winter kit is my parka shell. Most guys don't wear the parka because its usually too hot. But the Parka without the liner (just the shell) is the best outer layer I've ever worn. In the winter I'll wear a polypro shirt and the parka shell for any sort of physical activity, and then add in a stealth suit jacket or fleece or both. You can fit both a fleece and a stealth jacket inside a zippered small pack pouch, which can conveniently attach to the back of your Tac Vest.

A couple weeks ago I picked up a Mountain Equipment CO-Op Nother Lite Jacket. It's filled with Primaloft, which is supposedly similar to Snugpak's Softie insulation. It is light, compresses small, retains heat when wet, and is an excellent insulator. I'm waiting for it to get cold out to see how well it fits into Wonderbread's Patented Layering System.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442617475&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302756225&bmUID=1150291150128

I also keep a few hot pads on me that i can stick in my gloves or put inside my shirt.If you put it along your spine on your back, (and you manage to get it to work), it really does warm you up, and it can be quickly discarded when the need arises.

Back