• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

watch out for #1

P

piercyjr

as reg force members...realize one thing....you are just a number.
don't feel the forces will look out for you...or that your superiors give a rats arse about your career...because they don't...they are watching out for #1 also.

Mission
Men
Self

Obviously, your bitter or your leadership genuinely failed you somewhere along the way - but I wouldn't be espousing something that flys in the face of good leadership.

You are just a number with any employer,  you don't see bronze statues of ex-workers in front of factorys do you?
So, what is your point?

my point being..don't be blinded by the light.
i'm proud of the time i spent in the army, i was proud to wear the uniform and i was going places in my career..obtained my second hook after 3 yrs service and on clc before 4 yrs service. just dont get the idea that you are invincable...or that the upper echelon (OTTAWA) will back you up...to THEM you are just a number.

I think he's asking why you needed to tell us that, without context. :-\

You may love the army, but don't expect that the army will ever love you. 

The Forces are designed so that any number of personnel can be removed and at a moment's notice are replaced by those immediately under them.  If you believe that the CF cannot function without you, step back and remember it did for many years before you came along and will continue to do so long after you have left.  Same applies to me and every other member of the CF (anybody recall us collapsing after Jean/John Boyle left?).

But the other posters are correct, without context your post just comes across as bitter.

ex tanker I can totally agree with you on only being a number, as we are all one. Infanteer, there are places in the CF where leadership has failed the troops, and they are only looking out for thier own skin. if anyone has any questions PM me and I will give examples. I dont want to put it out here due to the fact it is a open forum

Well, speaking as one of those guys who never got anywhere in the army.....Quelle surprise (sp?)  A soldier is a tool used to accomplish the mission..." There's my shovel, there's my truck, there's my Corporal." My carreeer was not stellar, but my role was clearly defined. I served my time, I get my pension.  Time for the young guys to step up... and so it goes...

Kat

watch out for #1

The army is all about working as a team but at the end of the day, you had better be taking care of yourself because you are one of 4000 other privates, 5000 other corporals, 2000 MCpls, etc.  Yes, your leadership is there to make sure you have the tools and are able to accomplish the mission but if you don't point out that you don't have a rifle, don't have ammo, don't have whatever, they may miss it. Is your Sgt dopey for not noticing or are you dopey for not pointing it out?  A bit of a catch 22 don't you think? 

Make sure you get a PDR, make sure your accomplishments are noted, make sure your leaders know what you want to do with your career, keep any and all paperwork that relates to you and your career, make sure you understand you pay and benefits, etc, etc. These are your responsibility as a soldier and the system is there to help you along.

Cheers

Back