• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearable camera technology

mattberk

Inactive
Reaction score
I'd like to start using a "helmet cam" and was wondering if anyone had any experience with any of the models out there? Most of them are a bit too cumbersome, but I've found a few that should do the job nicely.

One is called the ContourHD - it's more designed for sports use but it's fairly small, looks tough and has really good video quality.

The other one is the VIO POVT which seems to be more specifically designed for tactical use. I've found a few videos on youtube of other soldiers using this, including this one from a Danish Soldier in Afghanistan:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Aplaehn#p/u/12/H49YDqKm77s

Has anyone used either of these and got any feedback?

A friend of mine in SQ had his helmet cam from e-bay for 80 bucks and it insert for flash discs and it worked fine, and it was waterproof, shock proof etc. The cameras u mentioned there look fine but the price scares me

This may be a silly question, but are you allowed to wear a camera while training? I would have thought that they would not allow something like that.

Good question - Before wearing a camera, or even buying the equipment, find out if its okay with your unit.  You're not being hired to do a documentary or play field journalist.

You should also consider the privacy rights of those around you.  Not everyone wants their name and face on youtube. 

Nor do we want to see hazing or other such videos suddenly show up on YouTube.  A lot of harm has been done by people taking pictures and video in the past.

George Wallace said:
Nor do we want to see hazing or other such videos suddenly show up on YouTube.  A lot of harm has been done by people taking pictures and video in the past.

Poor judgement always gets in there somewhere...

Greymatters said:
Poor judgement always gets in there somewhere...

Exactly.  Someone always has a lapse.  It may not be the person taking the photos/video, but a friend of a friend who uses it, or cirulates it, towards some agenda.  Look what Scott Taylor did with the photos he was presented with.

I like the VholdeR ContourHD 1080p. I don't actually have one, but it's on my to-get list for the future (for snowmobiling). From the videos I've seen it takes great footage. Here is a video from a member of a snowmobiling forum I am on. It's shot with the VholdeR ContourHD 1080p in 1080p I believe, however I've read that Vimeo plays it in 720p, but the quality is still quite good.

http://vimeo.com/10653470

(Pardon the Necropost)

I have been looking at cameras (not for training, just for general activities (hockey, etc) and since it is now 4 years later I thought it might be smart to add this to the thread : http://www.replayxd.co.nz/primex.html

Small & rugged form factor, feature rich (I like you can use your cellphone via wifi to preview your shots, change settings, or edit/play clips), reasonable price point (cheaper than GoPro cameras), and great picture quality.  Not perfect (nothing is) but fits the bill pretty nicely for someone interested in a helmet camera. 

Different then a GoPro, sleeker than a contour.   

Back