• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's the dumbest thing you heard said today?

Well at least he specified female sheep.

................not that there's anythign wrong with that.;D

Danjanou said:
Well at least he specified female sheep.

................not that there's anythign wrong with that. ;D
Actually, yeah, there's a lot wrong with that ;D

recceguy said:
Psstt. He's from Moronto. It's normal there ;D

You referring to the sheep thing or the other thing?

Just checking so I can set up the appropriate bar for drinks next time you're in town.  >:D

Danjanou said:
You referring to the sheep thing or the other thing?

Just checking so I can set up the appropriate bar for drinks next time you're in town.  >:D

There's sheep in Moronto ?

Speaking of sheep, and the Scottish.....

What would happen if the Rolling Stones were Scottish and not English?

The song "Hey, you, get off of my cloud" would be called "Hey, MacLeod, get off of my ewe"!

(sorry, had to go there!)

George Wallace said:
There's sheep in Moronto ?

There is a working farm in Cabbagetown ( an area in Toronto ) with lots of sheep.:
http://www.friendsofriverdalefarm.com/
http://www.toronto.ca/parks/360/riverdale360.htm

It's funny when you consider it is a very short walk from the largest high-rise community in Canada. The most densely populated area in the country. 20,000 people packed into a four block radius.

Chapeski said:
Speaking of sheep, and the Scottish.....

What would happen if the Rolling Stones were Scottish and not English?

The song "Hey, you, get off of my cloud" would be called "Hey, MacLeod, get off of my ewe"!

(sorry, had to go there!)

Whoa!  Careful there!  Bob has his Harleys, and I have my beloved Stones!  :threat:

Uggggh.  ::)

Employees Fired for Pursuing Alleged Shoplifter

Should your company policy prohibit an employee from preventing crime?
By Courtney Rubin | Apr 27, 2010

Two retail employees say they were fired last week after they chased down a suspected shoplifter.

Wait: The tale gets even loopier. The men – Paul Shoemaker and Mike McGee – apparently were on their break and chasing an alleged store shoplifter not in their store, but in an adjacent Apple Store.
The pair were heading out of the Sprint store where they used to work in Denver's Cherry Creek Mall when they came upon a frantic security guard in the hall. "[He] came right basically in front of us, and was like, 'Help me, Help me.' Out of breath. You could totally hear he was distraught," Shoemaker told Denver's 7News.

The pair pitched in to help capture the alleged shoplifter.

"It's the way I was raised as a kid," McGee said. "You see something that's going on wrong you step in and try to help whatever way you can."

The trouble started after the suspect was carted off. Sprint's corporate policy states that employees should not chase shoplifters, though the men argue they were on break and it wasn't even Sprint's merchandise they were seeking to retrieve. Sprint declined to comment, citing privacy concerns.

The firing isn't without precedent. In October Walmart fired an Ocala branch's loss prevention officer for chasing a man allegedly trying to steal golf balls. And in August 2009, two college-age Best Buy employees were fired from a Broomfield, Colorado Best Buy after tackling an alleged shoplifter. A Best Buy spokeswoman said all employees "are aware, and trained, on the standard operating procedures for dealing with shoplifting or theft – which includes ceasing pursuit of a suspected shoplifter once they exit the store." This, she said, was for the safety of employees.

So should you fire an employee for pursuing a thief? Only you can decide the "should," but legally you are able to do so.

Employment lawyer Frank Steinberg blogged about the Walmart case that the chain "was clearly within its rights to set a policy on how shoplifting incidents were to be handled and to decide that the guard's violation of that policy warranted termination."

In fact, having a policy about how employees should handle shoplifting or any crime they witness on the job is seen as a smart move legally, because it can protect you from liability in the event someone is hurt. Judgments in these cases are rare, but can reach into the hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars.

In Texas, for example, a shoplifter – his lawyer says he admits to the crime – is suing Walmart for $100,000 over the dislocated shoulder he claims employees inflicted on him.
Separately, the Houston Chronicle reported the company paid nearly $750,000 as part of a settlement to the family of a 30-year-old alleged shoplifter who died of a heart attack as employees tried to stop him. (The items he was accused of stealing: a package of diapers, a pair of sunglasses, a BB gun, and a package of BBs.)

Whether the good Samaritans in Denver deserved to be terminated is another question; how you train your staff to handle loss prevention is one of those tricky matters you probably never considered when you first started your business.

link

Don't forget, society is so hungry for blodd when something goes wrong in their lives that companies HAVE to put clauses like this in place.

Imagine if little Johnny boy chased after a shoplifter and got shot?  You think his family would have the same "do the right thing" stance?  I doubt it.. the blame would fall on the business for pressuring sales to be so high that they can't let a shoplifter get away with anything.. blah blah blah...

But on the other side of the coin, people become to afraid to do the right thing or help another for fear of retribution.

xo31@711ret said:
But on the other side of the coin, people become to afraid to do the right thing or help another for fear of retribution.

Such as this story:

Ignored Good Samaritan mourned

NEW YORK - About a dozen relatives and friends gathered Wednesday at a funeral home in Brooklyn to honour a Good Samaritan who was shown on video footage as passers-by ignored him while he lay, mortally wounded, on a city sidewalk outside an apartment building.

Police say the 31-year-old was stabbed to death after intervening in an argument between a man and a woman. In a video released late last week, Hugo Alfredo Tale-Yax is seen falling to the ground in Queens after intervening in a fight and running after the suspect.

For nearly an hour, he lay on the ground as passers-by turn their heads to look at him, gawk or pause and walk off. One lifted his body to reveal blood on the sidewalk. By the time emergency workers arrived, he was dead.

More at link

It's a pretty sad world sometimes, isn't it?  :(

...and we wonder why prices at big box stores are so high? 
It's a miracle society has survived this long where the criminal can sue the law enforcement folks when they get injured,....and for big bucks too!!  IIRC, if the police ever brought me home on a shoplifting call, I got to see what colour belt dad wore that day!  Not sure if I ever did it once.///

Right and wrong sure are messed up these days....

my :2c:

Back