• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's Your Favourite Mess?

jerrythunder

Inactive
Reaction score
hi there, ive only been to 2 messes of the canadian forces(Petawawa, and Meaford). i was wondering if anyone would like to put some input on the two mentioned or other messes around canada, good things, and bad. right now im in Meaford and i sorely miss Petawawa's mess.

I've been to 2 messes as well, Gagetown and Greenwood, the Greenwood Mess was pretty nice, We got to eat in the Officer's mess because the cook got killed by the juicer falling on him. I wish we could have been in the officer's mess under better circumstances, but it was a nice place all the same.

The Fleet club in Staticona or the Maritime club in G-Town were the places to go back in my early years. $4.50 a pitcher.

I liked the Meaford Mess hall.  Trenton I'd say would come in second of the one's I've been to.

I've edited the title for the typo. With 118 posts, you should already know the rules about MSN speak.

Jacob said:
I liked the Meaford Mess hall.  Trenton I'd say would come in second of the one's I've been to.

Youre on some good narcotics if you think the Eating mess in meaford beats Trenton..... (get me Some)  :blotto:    Trenton is like a cross between a family restaurant and a food court.... with amazing food.....  meaford is like a cross between a high school cafeteria and a Mcdonalds.....

I have yet to be in a drinking mess I really like. though the Jr's Mess at the Armouries in hamilton are definatly nice. as is the Jr's at Moss Park.

The Mess at my unit might be nice one of these days, if we ever get a bartender and a floor.......

The RCMP Trg Facility Mess Hall at ASU Chilliwack is the best I have ever eaten at! The food is good, you can eat whatever you want (i.e. two entrees at once or an entire pie for dessert), and they even have people wearing bowties who take your tray from you when you are done!

The drinking side is not to bad either... gotta love the leather couches, free peanuts, and ginormous plates of nachos! I just wish it wasn't so damn expensive! :mad:

Oh yeah it also has a nice patio to eat on and a sweet deck to drink on! ;D

HMCS Montreal has a nice Jr's mess. 

The real attraction is 1$ beer and cheap booze ;D 

It has the down side of being on a ship though.

:cdn:

Cpl Thompson said:
Youre on some good narcotics if you think the Eating mess in meaford beats Trenton..... (get me Some)  :blotto:    Trenton is like a cross between a family restaurant and a food court.... with amazing food.....  meaford is like a cross between a high school cafeteria and a Mcdonalds.....

I'm in agreement with Thompson. If you like Meaford's mess over Trenton's, well, you're just on crack. Best mess I've ever been to.

I actually do like Normandy court in Pet, as well.

As far as drinking messes for me, all the ones I've been too are a bit trashy, but the prices are right  ;)

Mess Hall?

8 Wing Trenton's Yukon Galley...by far

drinking Mess?

Kyrenia Club circa 90-95

Of the ones I've been to;

Normandy Court - pretty good stuff, usually good variety

Gagetown - The staff never gave us time to eat really so ... :-\

CFB North Bay Club 100 - Absolutely Amazing, they did the food for my wedding and were even good enough to put on hot dogs and fries for the younger kids that attended, may not sound like much but the parents thought it was an amazing gesture. Not many 5 yr olds like Chicken Kiev.

M.L. Troy Armoury - Junior Ranks best bar in town hands down especially when S&T Coy and the Algonquins got together -- good times for sure

Officers Mess Downtown Ottawa (Not sure of the proper name but I think it's off of Bank Street) - Probably the ritziest joint I have ever been in, lots of old memoribilia and some very nice bars.

Jacob said:
Must have been a good day.

All I remember is on my QL-2 Getting a haybox in the Field with a stew containing bits of meat so small I couldn't figure out exactly what animal it came from...... my guess was, it wasn't a coincidence that the raccoon population was unusually low that year.....

My Tops are definitely Yukon Galley and Normandy Court.... both of them are excellent...

the Sgt and Wo's mess in Kingston had some really good food too,

Borden has definitely gotten better since i had last been there on course in '03

and well... Meaford...... well.... I'm sure they try........

gravyboat said:
Yukon Galley in Trenton by far.  A-Galley in Halifax is good, but no better than Pet though.  The worst has to be the BATUS mess hall in Suffield.  I couldn't tell if it was food or compost.

That's Brit cooks and ration scales for ya! Worst food in the world in the Brit Army bar none!!

The Wardroom and C & POs in Halifax is very good now after the new construction of Juno tower and combining the two galleys. some really good social functions on the go too...at Halifax you are a member of RA Park, Wardroom and Shearwater all for one Mess due of $24. I think A Galley food is excellent too,,,,Actually Food Services at Halifax overall are outstanding...all thanks to the outstanding leadership of CPO Bill Pratt, who is a Cordon Bleu Chef BTW. :king:

You didn't taste RMC cadets mess....  Worst food ever... And NOT healthy

Max

SupersonicMax said:
You didn't taste RMC cadets mess....  Worst food ever... And NOT healthy

Max

The eating mess was pretty gross. The drinking messes upstairs are well done, IMO.

Echoing IN HOC - the new Juno Towers here in Halifax are great, if you're a member of the C&PO's mess or the Wardroom.

I've not been to the Fleet Club, but I understand it's pretty popular, and the A-Galley does put on some decent fare, though not at the same level of the Yukon Galley/Annapolis (G'Wood)/Petawawa - I was pleasantly surprised having to stay in Pet for two months on PDT, after experiencing Gagetown in 2000, I didn't know what to expect.

I have only been to two messes, Shilo and CFB Kingston.
All I have to say is that Shilo beats Kingston hands down!

ME

+1 on the Yukon Galley

Always rather enjoyed the Waterloo Mess in Borden too.

Mitchell Hall at the US Airforce Academy was quite good back in the 80's while I was there, but its been a while.

Back