• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why doesn't Canada design its own AFV and its own aircraft?

HeatRoca

Inactive
Reaction score
Why doesn't Canada design its own tank and its own air craft instead of purchasing it from other countrys i know its expensive but in the long run Canada would be getting its money back from selling the finished product. or Canada could negotiate a deal with the United States and build a tank and a couple of other things like air craft tanks etc . why doesn't bombardier design military equipment for Canada ? is it not a Canadian company

Edited by Vern to capitalize the word "Canada" in the topic title and throughout the post as well as "United States."

Those questions open up a giant can-o-worms Pro Patria and really would be better in a different thread.  Or do a search on procurment and i'm sure you'll dig stuff up.
Here are some short, out of my lane responses to get you thinking and then getting back on topic would be good.

Procurement issues are very complex, on the surface it might seem like an sensible thing to do to create all our own vehicles but; many nations already do lots of development and there is many different 'flavours' of all types of equipment already produced globally; why reinvent the wheel?  Also, there are often within contracts, agreements on reciprocal purchases or investments from countries/companies that equipment is purchased from, so we are already benefiting in that way.  Also, time to do original development, costing, facilities construction and production is complex.  Recall we do in fact make some of our own stuff (the LAV/strykers were produced in London recall) and often when we do buy something; it is with Canadian made upgrades or changes.

Again, out of my lane and just off the top of my head, but do some searches here and on google and you will discover there is no shortage of info on procurement in the CF. 

…and now back on topic.

Pro Patria said:
Why doesn't canada design its own tank and its own air craft instead of purchasing it from other countrys i know its expensive but in the long run canada would be getting its money back from selling the finished product. or canada could negotiate a deal with the united states and build a tank and a couple of other things like air craft tanks etc . why doesn't bombardier design military equipment for canada ? is it not a canadian company

Try Googling the Indian “Arjun” tank for a reason not to trying designing our own tank.

Pro Pat, it takes too long to design something decent and in most cases, other coutries are better at tanks, attack helicopters, IFV.

Canada is kind of a leader in the LAV field IMO (LAV25, coyote, bison, LAVIII, etc)...

Pro Pat, we once did.

It was called the AVRO ARROW, and it scared the bejesus out of the Americans to the point where they talked Defenbaker {sp.} out of producing it and go with a US system.  The major aircraft manufacturers hired OUR engineers and technicians who went to work at NASA and such like. 
We don't make our own because it's easier to buy "off the shelf", NATO compatible equipment.  We do improve on the design and make it OURS.  :cdn:

Yea the avero arrow was a very good air craft. thats why i ask the question why canada doesn't create design its own weapons and vehicles the avero was one of the best jets design and built at the time but the united states had to sway are government into droping the program just imagine the capablities and jets canada would have designed and built had the avero not been scrapped we might have a avero class of air craft. also why doesn't canada buy air craft carriers

Actually, the Arrow was severely limited. It was an interceptor, pure and simple, and had absolutely no value otherwise. While the F-14 managed to stick around because it could do a variety of missions despite being designed as a "pure" interceptor to defend carrier battlegroups, the Arrow had none of these "semi-built in" capabilities. Besides, it needed nuclear-tipped missiles to do it's job, at least at the time, and Diefenbaker wouldn't buy nukes. I'm not saying it wasn't a great plane for what it was designed for; just that people tend to say "it would've been such a great plane we could still use it today and kick everyone's ass" and, sadly, they are wrong.

I suggest the book Avro Arrow : the story of the Avro Arrow from its evolution to its extinction by the Arrowheads. It's rather complete and even has some speculation on the possible "updates" to the aircraft.

As for carriers... run a search, it's been done and overdone.

Pro Patria said:
Yea the avero arrow was a very good air craft. thats why i ask the question why canada doesn't create design its own weapons and vehicles the avero was one of the best jets design and built at the time but the united states had to sway are government into droping the program just imagine the capablities and jets canada would have designed and built had the avero not been scrapped we might have a avero class of air craft. also why doesn't canada buy air craft carriers

Haha, Canada doesn't have enough people or resources to do all those things you want us to do.  The new American Gerald. R Ford class carriers are expect to cost in excess of $20 billion each.  The fact of the matter is, we don't need them.  We have hardly enough aircraft to put on them and the personnel required to operate one is also very high.  I don't see the necessity of creating our own weapons, aircraft and vehicles.  Why would I go into the forest and waste my time and money to cut down a tree to make paper when I could just buy some at the store that works just as good if not better than anything I could make?  Re the arrow, it wouldn't fullfill our needs right now.  The arrow was an interceptor and the last time I checked, nobody was trying to attack our airspace and drop a bomb on us.  We should have signed on to the JSF project in my opinion.

At least with the Arrow, the Canadian technology was there to do with as we pleased.  Interceptors, Fighters, Bombers.  Most of the technology in the F-14 and -18 came from the breakthroughs in Canadian ingenuity.  McDonnell-Douglas, NASA, Gruman and Boeing picked up Canadian Engineers after Black Friday.  :'(
The Bonnie and Maggie were scraped back in the 60s/70s {?} due to downsizing.  If we had the Navy and Maritime Air capabilities of yesteryear, we'd still need carriers, and carrier based A/C. 
:salute:

BYT Driver said:
The Bonnie and Maggie were scraped back in the 60s/70s {?} due to downsizing.  If we had the Navy and Maritime Air capabilities of yesteryear, we'd still need carriers, and carrier based A/C. 
:salute:
But we don't have them so we don't need carriers.

BYT Driver said:
At least with the Arrow, the Canadian technology was there to do with as we pleased.  Interceptors, Fighters, Bombers.  Most of the technology in the F-14 and -18 came from the breakthroughs in Canadian ingenuity.  McDonnell-Douglas, NASA, Gruman and Boeing picked up Canadian Engineers after Black Friday.   :'(

I think we need to be a bit more pragmatic and see what's best. Sure, having an "in-house" development company "to do with as we pleased" sounds nice, and it's great for misplaced pride, but is it really the best solution? If we can get planes that are equally useful for a fraction of the price, and that are compatible with our allies', why bother designing our own? We don't have the needs or the moneytary capabilities to support such a massive infrastructure. Besides, with the way all things must be equal, we'd need to have our own ship designs, our own tank designs, and the opposition would start asking why we don't have our own rifle design.

If we had the Navy and Maritime Air capabilities of yesteryear, we'd still need carriers, and carrier based A/C.

I'd say it's more a question of needs rather than capabilities. We interoperate with the Americans and other allies most of the time, and it's generally understood that they will send a carrier battle group if the situation is bad enough that we need to intervene. In those situations, having two (or more!) carriers would just make things difficult and cause interference between the two.

If we were still preparing to take on hordes of Russian ships on the high seas, then, sure, I could see us having a carrier or two, but we aren't, and so we don't. Same goes for nuclear submarines. As much as I'd love to get a Seawolf-class SSN, it's not what we need. The Victorias do the job we need them to do, and so that's what we'll keep.

ArmyRick said:
Canada is kind of a leader in the LAV field IMO (LAV25, coyote, bison, LAVIII, etc)...

Those vehicles aren't Canadian design.

Actually, Canada does have quite a vibrant and dynamic defence industry. It's just that, other than the current production of LAVs, we don't manufacture any major weapons platforms in any great and consistent way. We produce lots of electronics components for other major systems though. And, Canada is still one of the aerospace powerhouses in the world - just behind the scenes. Major projects take a lot of investment to get off the ground - and in Canada, our Govt doesn't have that sort of money, doesn't see the need, and is quite happy with allowing private industry to do its thing as it is right now.

Currently, I see absolutely no need for us to get into the design and production of tanks and aircraft. How much do you think it would cost in R&D alone to allow us to produce a product that is so superior to the M1A2 or Leo 2 that many NATO nations would buy it in quantity? General Dynamics and KMW have over 20 years of ongoing research and lessons learned put into those vehicles - probably representing billions of dollars. You see, to be profitable, or just to break even, our industry needs a viable export market - our domestic Defence needs for major platforms is just too small. So, whatever we make better be the best damn widget in the world - because the other big boys on the block will be leveraging their governments with offers of subsidies, trade deals, tax breaks, etc, to other countries to buy their product. Look at the fierce competition that has been going on in Turkey for the replacement of their Main Battle Tanks.

The Avro Arrow - yeah, it had the potential to be a great interceptor of Soviet Strategic Bombers coming over the high arctic - at over $40 million per unit (estimate only - it's been a while since I read Fall of an Arrow, and Shutting Down A National Dream), while the US was offering aircraft that were more general-purpose versatile for the export market at about $5 million per unit. I don't see the huge conspiracy others do, the project was fraught with delays and cost over-runs, and in the end, would have produced a beautiful but overly specific aircraft that nobody else really needed, at a price they couldn't afford. Yes, there were many behind the scenes issues, but the key determinant was cost, and lack of market.

Canadian defence industry has niches that it currently exploits quite nicely - our industry produces some of the best simulators for training. Our role in the Allied Vaccine development project sees us punching above our weight class. Our WeatherHaven shelters are viewed quite nicely by many. These are but a few examples.

Frankly, the main reason Canada does not have companies that design and build major military equipment like entire AFV's, aircraft etc. is it isn't worth their time and effort. Canadian procurement is so small and erratic (20 years or more between buys) that any company would be bankrupt without massive government subsidies. Even getting a licence to build equipment in Canada isn't much of a sure thing, a factory was opened in Kingston to build the HLVW (10 ton truck) and closed almost immediately after the run was complete. Compare the price of a recumbent bicycle (hand built in small quantities) to a Norico or CCM bicycle you can get at Canadian Tire or Wal Mart to see what I'm getting at.

Sweden had a fairly complete arms industry, but their government was willing to purchase items in large quantities and make regular upgrades and new purchases. Even with these advantages, they now import or build tanks under licence (the Striv 122 is a Leopard 2A6 with modifications) and can produce aircraft under partnership agreements (the Gripen is a joint production of SAAB and BaE) since it is too expensive to carry on alone.

a_majoor said:
Frankly, the main reason Canada does not have companies that design and build major military equipment like entire AFV's, aircraft etc. is it isn't worth their time and effort. Canadian procurement is so small and erratic (20 years or more between buys) that any company would be bankrupt without massive government subsidies. Even getting a licence to build equipment in Canada isn't much of a sure thing, a factory was opened in Kingston to build the HLVW (10 ton truck) and closed almost immediately after the run was complete. Compare the price of a recumbent bicycle (hand built in small quantities) to a Norico or CCM bicycle you can get at Canadian Tire or Wal Mart to see what I'm getting at.

Sweden had a fairly complete arms industry, but their government was willing to purchase items in large quantities and make regular upgrades and new purchases. Even with these advantages, they now import or build tanks under licence (the Striv 122 is a Leopard 2A6 with modifications) and can produce aircraft under partnership agreements (the Gripen is a joint production of SAAB and BaE) since it is too expensive to carry on alone.

Sweden has always adhered to a policy of more or less absolute neutrality, which at one time meant it needed to support an indigenous defence industry. For a small country like Sweden, it
was very capable but quite expensive, probably partly accounting for the high taxation rates, cradle-to-grave welfare state aside. It produced the very successful Strv 103 medium
tank and the Ikv 91 tank destroyer.

However, even these could not be afforded in sufficient numbers to replace the British-built Centurions which were the backbone of Sweden's armoured corps.  An attempt was made to produce one more main battle tank, and this effort (the Strv 2000 project) was ultimately deep-sixed when budget cuts and the dictates of world financial markets forced the Swedes to make major cuts to virtually every government programme, defence included.

The Strv 2000 sported a 140mm main gun and a coaxial 40mm autocannon and would have outdone the Leopard 2 in every respect. Like the Avro Arrow and the Bobcat APC, it was intrinsically a great idea which ultimately collapsed under its own weight.

Unlike Sweden, Canada has the luxury of being able to tap into the US defence production sector to meet its needs. That, and limited production runs dictated by a small military are the chief reasons why Canada doesn't produce much of its own military hardware, much less design it. Even though Canada is wealthy enough that it could afford to do otherwise, given adequate domestic and foreign markets.

My thinking is that Canada could probably afford to design and develop equipment types which don't require large R & D budgets or large capital plant and tooling-up expenses. Things like light armoured vehicles and turret systems, trucks, small arms and small crew-served weapons. I base this argument on the country's recent experience building LAV's and C7 rifles, and the fact that small(er) countries design and build similar articles on fairly small budgets. The Norwegian-designed TUA (Tow-Under-Armour) turret is a classic example of (relatively) inexpensive hardware that is well within Canada's reach.

I recently came across some info (possibly outdated with the recent change in government) indicating that Diemaco is designing (with assistance of its US parent, Colt Arms) a rifle which will be offered as a candidate in the new SARP (Small Arms Replacement Program) which is intended to replace the C7 family of rifles in the next few years or so. If my info is correct and current, Diemaco's venture marks the first time a largely indigenous small arms design has been attempted in Canada. I'm not counting the vaunted Ross rifle as an indigenous design, since it uses what is essentially a slightly modified Mannlicher action and stock. Someone correct me here if I'm wrong. If I'm right, I'll be looking forward to seeing what this indigenous design will look like. With any luck it won't look like the uber-futuristic XM8 the US Army has been evaluating.

I would have thought that a Canadian company like Bombardier and a U.S company such as Lockheed and martin would have gotten together and designed some sort of military vehicle for both country's.

What does Bombardier have to offer Lockheed?

Here I'll answer my question for you... nothing!
Anything that Bombardier can/could do Lockheed can/could do better.

I think the government could provide funding to revive this remarkeable aircraft: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadair_CL-84 I guess Bombardies has the blueprints in a basement somewhere.  These might prove helpful in Afghanistan and in Canada in places where Canada does not have runways like up north.  Oh yeah and you could probably use them on our frigates and destroyers too.  A great multi-use aircraft no?

Albertaone said:
I think the government could provide funding to revive this remarkeable aircraft: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadair_CL-84 I guess Bombardies has the blueprints in a basement somewhere.  These might prove helpful in Afghanistan and in Canada in places where Canada does not have runways like up north.   Oh yeah and you could probably use them on our frigates and destroyers too.  A great multi-use aircraft no?

Two of the CL-84s crashed due to mechanical failures, but no loss of life occurred as a result of these accidents.

Two out of four crashed; a great safety record!

Besides which, it's an aircraft that has no role, or at least no useful role. We already have helicopters, and we're getting new ones for the Navy. Even if we did buy them for the Army, they wouldn't start actually getting into active service until way after the Afghan mission will be over. Also, if we really wanted a VSTOL tilt-something aircraft, why not go with one that's field-tested and in production already, and wouldn't require massive upgrades to it's design like, say, the Osprey?

Utterly useless.

Back