• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2024 BC Election

How much of that is what the Aussies call the “donkey vote”? Where they vote for the most ridiculously sounding party as a protest?
The Rhino party here in North Van, got more votes than the Liberal party candidate, scared the crap out of them that people were beginning to take them seriously.

Meanwhile from another planet:

Yup be prepared to accept the consequences of your political views.

This statement is so vague as to be essentially meaningless.

• Are you saying that communists within the world (of which there are realistically relatively few) should be prepared to accept anything that happens to them?
  • Are you saying that communists within Canada should be prepared to accept anything that happens to them? If so, how does this interface with the Charter, or are we just talking about vigilantism?

Re: The Bozo eruptions. Commentators have been noting lately that bringing up old tweets and FB posts to embarrass political opponents doesn't seem to have the career ending cachet it once had. Screaming "Heretic!" at every single deviation from the approved narrative has caused the voting public to tune out. They (the voting public) just don't give a shit anymore.

Is that the Trump effect? Since the Trumper is a complete crazy uncle with the nuance of a wrecking ball and is on track to become POTUS, then a provincial party leader can say he regrets getting the Covid vaccine with little blowback from the electorate.

Strange days indeed.
Max Fawcett of the National Observer agrees with me.

It has nothing to do with lionizing communists, it's about protecting expression in a free society, so long as it doesn't fall under the limited restrictions against hate speech, etc.

Considering that the various Communist Parties within Canada are federally/provincially registered, it would follow that they've met the requirements of political speech without devolving into advocacy of hate speech.

As a comparison, a number of Army.ca regulars are hard over on defending the Freedom Convoy dipshits, despite the majority of Canadians opposing them. Either we support Freedom of Expression in all directions, or none of them. You pick.
My point is much less a shot at you as noting that (until recently, anyway) we rightly as a Western Society held Nazis in contempt, but somehow Communists were largely exempt from the same contempt and legal sanction.

My point is much less a shot at you as noting that (until recently, anyway) we rightly as a Western Society held Nazis in contempt, but somehow Communists were largely exempt from the same contempt and legal sanction.

Because Communism was an intellectually acceptable political position for many decades in the West, and (astonishingly) it still is for many ....

This statement is so vague as to be essentially meaningless.

• Are you saying that communists within the world (of which there are realistically relatively few) should be prepared to accept anything that happens to them?
  • Are you saying that communists within Canada should be prepared to accept anything that happens to them? If so, how does this interface with the Charter, or are we just talking about vigilantism?
You know what I meant. Good day.

Vilification of Nazis and Communists and those adhering to the various affiliated flavours of doctrines which inevitably must become tyrannical is OK. Denial of human and civil rights without due process is not. Shame and disapproval are useful tools for preventing tragedy.

Communism and Nazism are both vile totalitarian ideologies that murdered millions of people, committed untold numbers of human rights abuses, and wielded the power of the state to shape it to fit their fantasies. It’s sad that both aren’t completely discredited and shunned by everyone who isn’t suffering from a mental disorder.

Max Fawcett of the National Observer agrees with me.

Is it the Trump effect? Or the cumulative result of 50 years of running against the other guy and proving that Pete Townshend was and is right?

1729627028611.png

Communism and Nazism are both vile totalitarian ideologies that murdered millions of people, committed untold numbers of human rights abuses, and wielded the power of the state to shape it to fit their fantasies. It’s sad that both aren’t completely discredited and shunned by everyone who isn’t suffering from a mental disorder.

Let us not forget history's great assortment of Autocrats and Monarchs who set the bar high.

A personal favourite in the pre-modern era

Let us not forget history's great assortment of Autocrats and Monarchs who set the bar high.

A personal favourite in the pre-modern era

apocalypse now horror GIF by Maudit

I was referring more to ideologies as opposed to garden-variety illiberal mafia-state despotism which is what we are seeing a return of today.

My cynicism grows ...

I no longer see much difference in ideologies. More often than not I see ideologies put to the service of individuals who would drum up a parade for them to lead.

We could be facing another election with a year or so... oh yay...

Les Leyne: Mark B.C. down as 'undecided'​

Barring a long-shot change in the count, the NDP will work out an arrangement with the Greens to get some shaky control of the legislature and try to carry on.

Conservative Leader John Rustad will hold to his promise on election night: “We are going to make it as difficult as possible for NDP to do any more destruction. … We will look … from day one to bring them down at the very first opportunity and get back to the polls.”

With his career hanging on every vote, Premier David Eby will likely keep legislation to a minimum. The legislature itself will likely convene as little as possible.

Investors will look at the new picture and wonder about committing money in such a fluid situation. Business interests continually plead for certainty when it comes to government policies. Election 2024 provided exactly the opposite. It was the definition of awkward uncertainty.

The “boldness” Eby promised during the campaign will likely evaporate and be replaced by tentative, tepid decisions made with day-to-day survival in mind, not long-range thinking.

When the waterline is a centimetre away from the boat’s gunnels, nobody wants to rock it.

Election 2024 cost $69 million. It produced a lot of dithering that will likely need another vote to resolve.

Back