• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice for women on BMQ and other courses [MERGED]

Good stuff TFLY

In your original post you had this level of fitness:
"I can't yet run 2.5 km without stopping, but I Can do 11 push ups, 27 sit ups.  My body fat is above normal for my sex and height.  My core strength is weak and so is my endurance.  Do you think it's even possible for me to get into enough shape to START basic?"

Any measurable progress with those things now? Running, push ups, sit ups, body fat %, etc?

For core strength/endurance, have you been doing planks? It's an easy way to measure your progress with your core. The longer you can hold a plank, the stronger your core.

Any measurable progress with those things now? Running, push ups, sit ups, body fat %, etc?

My husband is always after me to do my body fat test again, so I will tonight to see how I'm doing. 

14 Push ups
35 Sit ups
Running - Well, it is not much better because I have not been doing it regularly enough.  Weather is no excuse, but apparently it's the one I use for this.  :(  We have had very icy/cold conditions.  And when we have a warm spell, it's like I totally forget about running.  However, I am working on Cardio by doing the P90X Kenpo and Plyometrix.  Hopefully the swimming will help with my Cardio as well.  ArmChick2009 just set me up with some swim stuff to work on.  She said it would help with the running too. 

The plank is one that I used to use a lot, I think I will start to implement that again and let you know. 

Thanks for asking Ballz, when I get it down on here, it's like a motivator!!  Makes me want to go workout right now.  ;D

We've had numerous Pub Nights in Toronto and elsewhere and I've long been meaning to try the same thing in Borden. I'm pretty sure that Vern's still kicking around Borden in April, and I should be enjoying a rare period of relative peace and stability then, and there should be a few others around - of course, a few of those are going to be on course and probably not allowed out. If you're interested in a gathering, post a reminder when you have firm dates and I'll see what I can set up.

TFLY - You won't be allowed to mix with other people until about the time of your graduation, unfortunately! (it's for good reasons, I promise!) But I also promise you that on grad day? I'll come down and sit in the bench and cheer ya on!  Then afterwards, I think we're allowed to hang out. That's probably when you'll be able to get some of your family to come visit.

Pub Night??? Me????  You've been reading my mail!  My most favorite thing to do (being from Halifax).  I'm totally in if they actually give you a night away from training.  I was told, not so much???  But anyway, I will post to confirm.  Do I just post it on this thread?  Now I'm even more excited than ever.  >:D  (talk about go off topic.)  lol  ::)

Ooops, we overlapped posts.

you mean there is a graduation for this training ArmyChick?  No way!  Well that's exciting!  I'll CRAWL to the pub if I'm allowed after that.  :)

By the way, going tomorrow to swim, thanks for the STUFF  :)  I'll keep you posted!

My family won't be there for that, but I'll be glad to see you and finally meet you!  :) 

Loachman said:
We've had numerous Pub Nights in Toronto and elsewhere and I've long been meaning to try the same thing in Borden.

Make sure you let us know when / where and maybe some of us cab make the trip up from Toronto to join the fun!

Loachman said:
We've had numerous Pub Nights in Toronto and elsewhere and I've long been meaning to try the same thing in Borden. I'm pretty sure that Vern's still kicking around Borden in April, and I should be enjoying a rare period of relative peace and stability then, and there should be a few others around - of course, a few of those are going to be on course and probably not allowed out. If you're interested in a gathering, post a reminder when you have firm dates and I'll see what I can set up.

I just knew that I heard my name mentionned in a post containing a whiff of alcohol.  ;D

I will still be here in April ... will actually be here until May at the minimum. Can escape from this endroit at that time should I successfully obtain my Bs on my first round of ELS Testing then. Otherwise, I'm here until end-June.  :-X

But, as an update - today the 7 of us on the course underwent our PO 401 exams for "reading" and "grammar". Tomorrow is DDay for our Oral exams. I'm confident that I passed both those from today. And am also reasonably certain that I did very well on the "reading comprehension" ~ the grammar ... not so much, but I'm certain that I, at least, passed.

If not, tomorrow night's celebratory (and required-to-relax-after-stressing-out-for-two-weeks') beer ... may just turn into many shots of tequila.  :-\

Edited to add:

The lag on this site is absolutely killing me!! Arghhhh.

:mad:

TFLY,

Yeppers, a graduation and everything! You work hard for three weeks learning drill... you work hard at figuring out what you want to do... you work hard at maintaining your uniform! And you work hard at your discipline in all aspects! Why the heck wouldn't you be deserving of a parade :D It's part of the job, baby!

It's also a proud day for the staff too, who (trust me!) deals with a lot to get you guys into shape.

The policy is no contact with outside peoples (like, you can call family almost every night... unless you have inspections to get ready for and you can only call after all the work is done)...  but, there's no fraternizing (males or females!) of other people from other courses. Keep in mind that most of the participants are around the ages of 17-21... so, this is more to protect them than to protect you :) But, you still need to abide by the rules or... it's a one-way ticket home!

But, if you make arrangements ahead of time for the last night, you may be able to arrange to go out. But, they have a strict no drugs/no alcohol policy (and I believe that includes the last night... because of legal reasons, you are still their responsibility!)

:crybaby: BUMMER!

But I can understand, I guess.

Keep in mind that most of the participants are around the ages of 17-21... so, this is more to protect them than to protect you

I can understand that too... *evil cougar grin*  LOL  ;)

I'll start a "Borden Pub Night" thread in Radio Chatter when we get closer, and have a likely date.

Right now I'm too busy living The High Life, trying to make myself sick of smoked salmon every breakfast, to really think that far ahead.

And if you can't make it, TFLY, we'll just drink your share for you.

And if you can't make it, TFLY, we'll just drink your share for you

:nod: OK :(  But you'll have to drink a lot!  I won't be happy not being able to go...and I can drink a lot, specially if I'm not happy.  :p

LOL -

Vern might help with that a little, if we ask her nicely.

woot now i dont feel so bad about being 35 .... I was worried it would be all young folk .. not that there is anything wrong with that but its nice to have conversations with folks my own age group too :D I hope its like that as a NCM too
:salute:

Drifter said:
woot now i dont feel so bad about being 35 .... I was worried it would be all young folk .. not that there is anything wrong with that but its nice to have conversations with folks my own age group too :D I hope its like that as a NCM too
:salute:

35?

Young un....

Drifter, I would never have thought I would take the step and do this...but this board, people I have met and spoken to, and especially the recruiters have made me think otherwise.  If we have the drive to give our Country everything we have, and now we are old enough to really appreciate what that means, then our Country (AKA Canadian Forces) wants us.  I now know we have the potential to give more then we could have 15 years ago. (in my case anyway)

Welcome aboard!  :salute:

I hear you,
I would like to think that even though we are 15 yrs older, I am hoping we will bring some
life experience to the table that might be useful. Also I relate with the notion you put
forward of stepping up to serve  and what that means

:salute:  :cdn:

the pension is gravy ;)

Back