• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Alberta Reserve Units- Loyal Eddies Vs. Calgary Highlanders

kramerica_industries

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a reservist at RMC and am slated for the Phase III Infantry Officer course this summer.
Currently, I am not associated with a unit however upon graduation I plan on returning to Alberta.  I haven't decided which city I will live in, but the local reserve units will play a major role in my decision.  I am wondering whether anyone has experience with either the Loyal Edmonton Regiment or the Calgary Highlanders and could give me some insights.

Thanks for your time,

Andrew

So... basically you want to watch a flame war break out between the LER's and Cal Highs's.  Whoever flames the brightest, wins?  Why not jump in with hockey teams as well.  Go Flames Go!

Shadowolf said:
So... basically you want to watch a flame war break out between the LER's and Cal Highs's.

You say that like it's a bad thing  :D

Actually, as a reservist, I would think the most important thing would be work opportunities in your given field, followed by housing. So much of a persons opinion of a reserve unit is subjective and can be influenced by good/bad dealings with particular individuals.

I lived in Calgary for 14 years so I'll admit I'm biased there. The job situation is usually good in Calgary but I've heard housing has gone through the roof in my time away. I'll let others with more current knowledge pass it along.

kramerica_industries, your desire to find out about the local units is commendable, but don't base where you are going to live on it. As a reservist, your 'civie life' will end up being more important. The unit might be great, but if you can't find a good job and a place to live you won't be happy and might have to move anyway.

I served with the Calgary Highlanders in the late 80's and I am course with some Highlander instructors right now. They are first class and a great unit. I am sure the Loyal Eddies are the same. I think whatever untit you go for will be fine. I agree with sigpig, take care of your civilian issues, then if that leads you to Edmonton or Calgary, then you know where you will be serving.

The real question is, are you an Oilers fan, or a Flames fan? Now if neither team is your favoriite then you will not be allowed in the province anyway. We have our standards!

Rephrasing the original post in my language.   The 'Best' unit in alberta will recieve a fresh new young officer straight out of Phase III training and so gung-ho about his job in the reserves that it will dictate which city he lives in.   

This might be the first time I see the Cal Highs and Eddies heap compliments on each other!  >:D

Thanks for all the input guys, I wasnt intending on starting a grudgematch between the two units, I was just looking for a little more insight into their sizes, involvement in field exercises etc.  As for the real serious issue here, i'd better just swear alliegience to some neutral hockey team, from somewhere far away like Sweden to I don't ruffle any feathers...

I am in the calg highrs. The Calg Highr and the LER are basically the same size, we are both in the same brigade so our training is very similar. We go on roughly the same number of exercises focusing on roughly the same things. The LER's are a bit more lax on un issued kit. If you are coming in the next year, I cant speak for the LER's, but I know the majority (right now almost 70pers) are deploying on TF 1-08 and as such I dont know what trg is going to be run.

If I was you I would pick what city you want to go to based on where you would rather live. Consider the job market, the cost of living, recreation, and what industry you plan on getting into (Calgary is somewhat more white collar than Edmonton). A militia unit, in my opinion, is not a good reason to move to a certain city. Hope this helps

Cheers,

Phil

Now for the LER perspective...

I agree you should look into cost of living issues, travel into and out of your office/jobsite, and job opportunities.  The commute in and out of Calgary is insane and Edmonton is rapidly catching up.  For the most part, Calgary is the head office town and Edmonton has a bit more of a blue collar edge to it.  There are tons of opportunities in every major field but I think I can speak for everyone that you need to sort out your accommodation before you get here.  The housing market in Edmonton is insane.  The value of my house has almost doubled in five years, so let's just say the people in RV's at the Wal-Mart parking lots around here aren't always just passing through. 

The differences between the Eddies and Highlanders are mostly specific to the unit culture, I'm sure that though there are subtle differences in that regard both units use what little time and money we get to the best effect possible.  Most of our shortcomings stem directly from the mystifying edicts from 41 Bde but since they're the most vindictive collective of retards I've ever encountered I'll let you find out about them for yourself. 

+1 accommodation. In Calgary it is damn near impossible to find a place to rent. Buying right now is easy, if you have the coin. We are definitely in a boom time. My advice is graduate, decide on which field you want to work in, look online for jobs, then accommodation, then when you have it all sorted out transfer to a unit. Basically what we are telling you is the both units are good to go, and you will most likely be happy in either.

PhilB is right on, except he forgot to mention the Highlanders on average are better looking, smarter, stronger, and better soldiers than the Loyal Eddies. Other than those small items he is absolutely right! ;)

:warstory:  I can feel a flamewar starting to brew  ;D :flame:

The Calgary Highlanders have to be congratulated on there website, being www.calgaryhighlanders.com

I believe its one of the best out there, primarily for being updated often & lots of information on it....Seems like lots of website out there, but often are never updated....Strathconas have a great site as well at www.strathconas.ca

Cheers

Cardstonkid said:
PhilB is right on, except he forgot to mention the Highlanders on average are better looking, smarter, stronger, and better soldiers than the Loyal Eddies. Other than those small items he is absolutely right! ;)

Haha where do you think those mysterious kilt wearers get their power from?  ;)

As a Loyal Eddie, I'll throw in my 2 cents worth.

The civillian considerations must take priority over military ones. The army reserve will not cover your mortage - it's that simple. But if you find both cities more or less the same and army life will be the deciding factor, here goes.

Both units are still influenced by their previous taskings, the LER were jump tasked and the CalHighs had a mech tasking. Some (but by no means all) of the senior leadership had their formative years in the army in this period. It affects how they do things today. To dangerously oversimplify things, I'd say the LER's put a great deal of emphasis on commander's intent. The CalHighs tend to put more emphasis on  doctrine and tactical execution. Neither is necessarily better than the other. The problem is that they can be very different approches, and once you become used to one method, adapting to the other can be difficult. When we have to work together on deployment or exercise, the sparks can sometimes fly.

As for a flat out recommendation, right now I'd go with the CalHighs. I have five reasons:
1. They exercise more - Both units are caught in some ridiculous policy from 41 Bde that says we shouldn't collectively train anymore. The CalHigh leadership seems to have the testicular fortitude to ignore this and go to the field on at least an occaisional basis. The LER leadership does not. The Eddies go to the field one weekend per year. As suave and charming as mess functions may be, they are not why people join the infantry. It's about the field.
2. Regimental spirit - The CalHighs have outstanding regimental spirit and morale. Granted, sometimes they lay it on a little thick and they can get childish from time to time. Nonetheless, their sense of unit pride, history, and identity makes them a stronger unit. The LER's have no comparable sense of identity.
3. The CalHighs can usually parade three platoons. The LER's parade about 10 guys. In the militia, troops assess their leadership with their feet. Draw your own conclusions.

I'll give you another reason - Eddies can't count!

I originally had five reasons, but boiled it down to two. I just forgot to edit the paragrpah afterwards.

:blotto:

MoRat said:
I'll give you another reason - Eddies can't count!

I originally had five reasons, but boiled it down to two. I just forgot to edit the paragrpah afterwards.

:blotto:

Still can't count!!!  You must be the "Chamionsip Eddie"!! You boiled it down to THREE reasons!

Well thought out post - as I don't have an affiliation with either Regiment, I'll refrain from expressing an opinion - but the discussion has been remarkable to follow.

Roy

Roy Harding said:
Still can't count!!!  You must be the "Chamionsip Eddie"!! You boiled it down to THREE reasons!

Yeah, I know... >:(

But hey, if I was good at typing, I'd be a clerk.

Mod edit : i fixed your quote box

A couple things that a supposed regimental brother said can't go unanswered.   

Having run three courses in the last 12 months as well as having in excess of platoon strength in Afghanistan, it has depleted our numbers.  The "10 people parading" and not going to the field aren't entirely accurate but can be perceived as a result for people who fall through the cracks with regards to courses and operational requirements. 

Any Alberta unit, especially ones in Northern Alberta are also competing with the labour market here.  Half of my troops at any given time have work schedules that conflict with training. They try to tell me when their rigs are shut down or when their crews are back in town and we do the best we can.  Try to schedule training that often requires a month in advance and you see what you get.  That work situation pretty much affects every rank level in the LER, but it doesn't make us ineffective.  One thing I can say is lately we've been shooting A LOT.   

As for the brigade thing, I will agree that the Cal Highs have been better at disregarding some of the dumber directives, and good for them.  If they can get away with it and not face any retribution.  Recently the the direction has been running basic-level courses which are NCM-intensive.  Bad orders are still orders, especially with budgets these days, you do what you can.   

For better of for worse, that is the situation here. 

Whatever someone from out of the province decides, apart from the normal inter-unit rivalries, they're both good units. 

Back