• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Annual issue of T4s

AirDet said:
Maybe I just don't understand the challenge involved but one would think it would be fairly easy to hi the enter key and send out the e-version of T4s before the last day of Feb. I just don't understand why the wait.

They want the interest to accrue on all the overpaid tax bills?

AirDet said:
Maybe I just don't understand the challenge involved but one would think it would be fairly easy to hi the enter key and send out the e-version of T4s before the last day of Feb. I just don't understand why the wait.

I like getting my taxes in ASAP. Waiting till the last day to do your taxes leaves no room for error.

I would think it to be a bit more complex than that.  I am pretty sure CCPS doesn't have the capability to generate T-4's, so there is most likely some sort of data file being transferred from one application to another to do this.  Then come the "errors", etc, etc, etc......

I've always just gone ahead and used the data off of my final pay statement.  Most of the figures I need are there and what isn't there I get from any other tax related forms I receive.

If it's any consolation, the public service compensation website had a "hiccup" this week, so the release of all the PS T-4s is now being staggered out over a week or more.  At last count, DND's were to be posted on Thursday... unless things go wrong again...

Schindler's lift said:
I've always just gone ahead and used the data off of my final pay statement.  Most of the figures I need are there and what isn't there I get from any other tax related forms I receive.

I use an accountant friend. You know accountants... Without the proper documents there's no processing.

Any other 68 000 people company would not have those kind of issues. 

I am always amazed at the inneficiency and disjointness of our systems....

Waiting to the very last day while allowed, should not be the standard, especially in an organization that promotes being early.

SupersonicMax said:
Any other 68 000 people company would not have those kind of issues. 

I am always amazed at the inneficiency and disjointness of our systems....

Waiting to the very last day while allowed, should not be the standard, especially in an organization that promotes being early.

To quote friendly Sea Trainer I once knew "If you're not 15 minutes early for a timing, you're 20 mins late."

DAA said:
Right out of the Employers Guide provided by CRA under "Responsibilities". 

"•File the T4 Summary, together with the related T4 slips, on or before the last day of February following the calendar year to which the slips apply."

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/rc4120/rc4120-e.html#P117_6680

So, I think it is safe to say, that T4's will be available NLT 28 Feb 14.    :)  If you want to get a jump on prepping your Tax Return, you can always use the figures from your "end-December" Pay Statement.

Well, as the late great Paul Harvey would say...."and now know...the REST of the story!"

and with guardian rolling out in the next few years...man I don't want to know...maybe its high time I do some admin courses on taxation...

Guardian: replacement for HRMS, CCPS and RPSR.

It should be an improvement - it will be a commercial off the shelf payroll software, meaning it will use a system that's used in business, and not two old payroll applications, custom developed and maintained by duct tape and bailing wire.  So generating T4s should be a fully automated process.

dapaterson said:

It should be an improvement - it will be a commercial off the shelf payroll software, meaning it will use a system that's used in business, and not two old payroll applications, custom developed and maintained by duct tape and bailing wire.  So generating T4s should be a fully automated process.

And probably guaranteed to not play nice with BASELINE..... ;D

dapaterson said:

Will this integrate the Res\ Reg pay systems so as to move seamlessly between one component and the other (at least paywise)?

recceguy said:
Will this integrate the Res\ Reg pay systems so as to move seamlessly between one component and the other (at least paywise)?

It will be a single system for the CAF as a whole.  So Monday could be class A, and Tuesday in the Reg F (from a pay perspective).

No awkward computer interface between the two systems that generates problems when moving between components or classes of service; just tick a box and everything carries forward.

NFLD Sapper said:
And probably guaranteed to not play nice with BASELINE..... ;D

Baseline is pretty much dead with the Win 7 migration. I haven't seen a pop up in over a week since I've updated all my computers.

dapaterson said:

I hope it is rolled out better than the new system the Supply folks got in the fall.  I haven't heard one of them say anything good about it at all. 

But it likely won't be.  8)  SSDD until proven otherwise.

Eye In The Sky said:
I hope it is rolled out better than the new system the Supply folks got in the fall.  I haven't heard one of them say anything good about it at all. 

But it likely won't be.  8)  SSDD until proven otherwise.

DRMIS has a learning curve but nothing worse than MIMS before it or Planexpert etc, Guardian is just a fancy name for PeopleSoft 9.2, and I'm sure it will be loads better than the current HR/Pay systems, but I'm still surprised we just did not buy the Pay/HR module for DRMIS(ie SAP) so we can have just one large database for all of CAF, now we will still have to program a new interface module between DRMIS(SAP) and PeopleSoft(oracle) so we can have data move back and forth.  And interface modules never have issues.....

Old EO Tech said:
DRMIS has a learning curve but nothing worse than MIMS before it or Planexpert etc, Guardian is just a fancy name for PeopleSoft 9.2, and I'm sure it will be loads better than the current HR/Pay systems, but I'm still surprised we just did not buy the Pay/HR module for DRMIS(ie SAP) so we can have just one large database for all of CAF, now we will still have to program a new interface module between DRMIS(SAP) and PeopleSoft(oracle) so we can have data move back and forth.  And interface modules never have issues.....

Stop being logical. You know our handlers hate that.

Back