• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Another example of the CF screwing you

Michael Dorosh said:
mackenzie, quit your whining.   Most reserve units stand down in early December and only start parading again in early January.   Guess what?   Pay doesn't get processed in that period.   I was expecting 400 bucks this pay but got 55.   I am still owed for parade dates in early January.   C'est la vie.

The Militia is a hobby for some, part time job for most.   If you're relying on it as a regular source of income, then you are screwing yourself, don't blame the Army.

Very well said Michael! And like I always say........and I do mean it.....if you don't like it here, take it somewhere else. That is the huggy feely version of it anyways!

i remember a mcpl and a captain whose names were exactly the same, only difference was one number off in the s/n.

I take it this has to do with Reserve Pay? I am a Reg F Chief Clerk and I have also served as Reg F with a Res Unit.  Not really impressed with how pay is "done" in a Reserve Unit - Have no problems with how its done in a Reg F Unit.  Bottom line is start with your Chief Clerk vice the counter clerk,  and if this person cannot give you a reason as to why your pay is screwed up, take it to the next level (Adjt, Adm O, Reg Force Officer in your unit).  If a clerk is "actually" screwing you over find a way to get this person CHARGED as this person is abusing the little power he or she has over other pers. Finally if nobody gives a crap - CFAOs give you the right to ask for a personal interview with your Commanding Officer whom I am sure would be REALLY impressed with the clerical staff!  Its too bad when you cannot get results from your OR staff - as from day one our only purpose is to Serve the Forces - you the customer!  If we cant do that to the best of our abilities than we should GET THE HELL OUT of the RMS Trade and find employment elsewhere.

Well said Chief Clerk.

There's also plan B. Threaten to hold a FIBUA/MOUT/FISH live fire ex in the Fin Office 8)

Good day all, RMS Clk here.  Several poiints, there's a production schedule from RPSR that tells us when Class A cutoffs are, that means the sign in sheets need to be in not the day off the cutoff, but a couple of days before hand, especially if we're talking about 50 sign in sheets to be entered,  usually there is some leeway, RPSR will continue to accept after the cutoff, but do not count on this.  This doesn't take into account the process of getting the supervisor signature on your sign in sheet before coming up to the OR.  There are also Class B cutoffs too, but this should never effect you, a pay contingency can be done, and if cutoff dates were missed for this, you can get a local payment.  If there is a personal problem where you need your class A money, you can explain via memo up your chain to your CO (at least that's what done at my unit) and a pay contingency can be done based on the days you had signed in and won't be getting until the next pay period, you have to at least worked the days to get an advance on your pay, remembering that RPSR is two weeks in arrears.  I would need to know more specifics for individual problems of why your not getting paid.  If anybody has any specific questions, just ask, maybe I can help.

Gentlemen:

After 3 years Infantry (Reg Force)  (I know - it's not in my profile), and 22 years Adm/RMS (Reg Force) experience, let me sort a couple of things out for you.

1.  I don't care what your trade is - we're all on the same team.  Treat each other that way, instead of as opposing players, and the result will be team work - and probably problem solved.

2.  Although many junior clerks THINK and ACT like they have magnificent and mysterious powers, they don't.  This is an attitude which clears up with maturity and experience, but I understand the perception left with young inexperienced Cbt Arms soldiers.

3.  Although I only spent one year in RSS, back in '89-'90 I do recall that the SYSTEM was absolutely appalling.  This resulted in the young reserve pay clerks working extremely hard and conscientiously, full of desire to make the system work properly, but when the SYSTEM (not the CLERK) inevitably screwed up, the Clks ended up feeling the pressure from their peers, feeling the pressure from their superiors (including me, until I became the "Pay Clerk" for a month), feeling the pressure from the Chain of Command, and eventually "giving up".  "Giving up" took many forms, but the two most common were to either quit the Reserves, or become the snarling, defensive, abrasive type of individual mentioned in previous posts in this thread.  This problem was less prevalent in the Reg force, because although the system was archaic, it actually WORKED, and when it on rare occasions DIDN'T, there were capable and experienced WOs and Offrs who could quickly fix it.  This dynamic does not apply in the reserves - although the trade knowledge and skills of the WOs and Offrs may be of the highest standard, they simply do not have the TIME to fix these things on a Wednesday night, or Saturday!!

4.  Never forget, as has been mentioned previously, that the welfare of the troops is a Chain of Command responsibility - NOT/NOT a clerical responsibility!  Clks can certainly HELP the chain of command with this, but they are not responsible for YOUR welfare.

5.  We in the Adm/Fin/RMS world made a terrible mistake a few years ago.  We assumed that because somebody could type, they could use a computer - actual computer use (IE - cohesive and coordinated use of the Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Access, Excel, etcetera) is NOT (at least up to the time I retired a year ago) taught to Clerks!!!  What they know, they learned on their own, or they were taught by their peers and superiors.  In my last unit prior to retirement, I held professional development sessions for two hours every week for my unit clerks.  They were taught how to PROPERLY use a database (which skill I picked up on my own time, paying for night courses throughout the years - BEFORE the Army began paying for this type of education).  I explained it to the Infantry CSMs in my unit this way - suppose a new weapons system is brought on-line.  You are shown a demonstration of what it can accomplish, then given the weapon without any training.  You are then expected to immediately successfully deploy this weapon to save your (and MY) life in battle.  That is exactly what we do to Clks with computers.  We dump these exotic tools in front of them, say "figure it out", then get mad when they can't.

6.  The shear breadth of expertise expected of RMS Clks is astonishing.  Just prior to the amalgamation of Adm, Fin and CEP into RMS, I took part in discussions aimed at breaking the Adm trade into three "feeder trades", feeding into a common trade at the WO level.  It was felt that there was just too much to know for a single trade.  I would have ended up as what we would call an "Operations Clk" - given that at the time I had NEVER worked in a Records or R&D section.  Instead of this, we added even MORE to the trade (Fin and CEP), and gave it a new name (RMS).  Given my operations background, you can imagine my surprise at being promoted to Warrant and discovering that I was IC of a Pay Office for over 500 men.  And THAT was only one of my roles as a major unit Chief Clerk.  Was I prepared??  You bet I wasn't - fortunately for me I had extremely knowledgeable MCpls who taught me.  So - keep that in mind the next time you have to lead a clerk through your mortgage - it's YOUR mortgage, you are MUCH more focussed on its' intricacies than the Sgt who may well have been working in C.E. all his career, managing projects.

7.  Long rant on one of my favourite subjects - bottom line for the fella who started this thread:  I feel for you, it is (in all probability) not the Clk's fault.  Take it up with your chain of command.  If the Clk's attitude is bothering you, take THAT up with your chain of command as well.  It's amazing what can be accomplished with a calm conversation between your CSM and the Unit Chief Clerk.  DON'T try to fix it yourself, and DON'T try to give the Clk an attitude adjustment all by yourself - you'll just make a bad situation worse.

'Nuff said - I'm retired and not supposed to even care anymore.

I have to say, that was better than any way I could have ever posted it.  I do everything I can to help the troops in my unit...but there is only so much I can do.  The chain of command is much more powerful than I.  :)

2332Piper said:
I'm still owed about 1000$, I'm not yet on the unit paysheet (still filling out my info by hand at the bottom) and according to Logistik Unicorp I'm in the air force, and can only order blue DEU kit. All these brought to the attention of my BOR, all continually ignored.

But hey, makes life interesting. Playing ring-around-the-rosie with the clerks.  :blotto:

Note: to all the other clerks who their job, I don't envy you at all, but keep up the good work eh? We need it.

Settle down, Son. 

It appears from your profile that you are a Musician, R871.  Please let us know which unit you belong to - and have you tried doing anything beyond blustering some young clerk who's just doing their best??  (IE - have you spoken (not shouted) to your chain of command?)

2332Piper said:
I'm still owed about 1000$, I'm not yet on the unit paysheet (still filling out my info by hand at the bottom) and according to Logistik Unicorp I'm in the air force, and can only order blue DEU kit. All these brought to the attention of my BOR, all continually ignored.

But hey, makes life interesting. Playing ring-around-the-rosie with the clerks.  :blotto:

Note: to all the other clerks who their job, I don't envy you at all, but keep up the good work eh? We need it.

Oh, and by the way, what exactly is "Logistik Unicorp"???  I've been out for just over a year, but I don't recall this one.  (We'll discuss spelling and why it is important later.)  AND.. we'll discuss the impossibility of you being in the "Air Force" after that.

Retired CC said:
Oh, and by the way, what exactly is "Logistik Unicorp"??? I've been out for just over a year, but I don't recall this one. (We'll discuss spelling and why it is important later.) AND.. we'll discuss the impossibility of you being in the "Air Force" after that.

Logistik Unicorp is the current supplier of all non-operational clothing items for the CF (i.e. DEU'S). Currently it is a pilot project is ongoing for reserve replacement clothing trial.

From Logistik Unicop site:

CLOTHING ONLINE
RESERVE REPLACEMENT CLOTHING TRIAL
Simple, Safe and Secure

As a reservist in the Canadian Forces (CF), you are going to take part in the Clothing Online Reserve Replacement Clothing Trial. With Clothing Online, you'll have 24-hr/day real time access to non-operational clothing (DEU) from anywhere in Canada using your desktop at home or in your office.  You will be able to replace non-operational clothing free of charge (in lieu of exchanges), and in addition you will have the option to purchase extra non-operational clothing. 

Here are answers to some of your most frequently asked questions:

What is â Å“The Clothing Online, Reserve Replacement Clothing Trial?â ?

The Clothing Online Reserve Replacement Clothing Trial is a DND initiative to trial the online ordering and direct delivery of CF Non-Operational Clothing (DEU) directly from the supplier to your home or place of work through the Internet. It is designed to bring you the convenience and personalization of Internet shopping, saving you the time and effort of travelling to Clothing Stores.

What services are offered on this trial?

a.  Replacement of non-operational clothing:
As a reservist you will be able to replace your used non-operational clothing free of charge without having to visit Clothing Stores. Free replacement also means there is no delivery charge. This system is intended to replace the current non-operational clothing (DEU) exchange system, which means that starting 1 February 2004 reservists will not be allowed to exchange non-operational clothing (DEU) in CF Clothing Stores.  All other services at Clothing Stores will remain unchanged and fully accessible to reservists. 

b. Sales of non-operational clothing
If you wish you may also exercise the option to purchase your non-operational clothing from Clothing Online. This service will be completely optional and you may still purchase items from CF Clothing Stores.

Is there a limit to what I can order?

Yes!  A points system has been introduced based on your annual entitlement; the cost of an item and the item's replacement interval.  There is also a limit to the quantity of items that you can order.  The number of points available to you is more than adequate to provide the replacement non-operational clothing you will require over the period of a year.

What do I do with my old clothing?

Your old (worn) clothing remains with you for disposal, after removal of all rank insignia, buttons and military badges, as per existing DND supply policies.

If I decide to purchase an item will it cost me more?

The price will be the same as the price you pay in the Clothing Stores.  There are no shipping and handling charges.

How do I pay for my purchases?

By major credit card, personal cheque / money order or C.O.D.

How do I know that my credit card number is safe?

Your Credit Card number is completely safe.  Clothing Online uses a 128-bit Encryption Technology. It encrypts your credit card number as soon as you type it in, making it impossible for anybody else to read. This secure payment system, used by online banking and Stock Exchanges for money transfers, is considered the latest and safest on the market.

How long will it take to get my order?

From the time you order you will receive your clothing within 5 working days to anywhere in Canada (if stock of ordered items is available).

What about tailoring?

If tailoring is required, take your order into the Base Tailor and present your receipt (included with order) within 4 weeks of the shipping date, or use whatever local procedures are applicable.

Besides tailoring what other functions are not covered under Clothing Online?

Due to the very nature of the Clothing Online system there are some functions of the non-operational clothing (DEU) delivery system that, for the time being, cannot be handled by Clothing Online.  These areas will remain a CF Clothing Stores responsibility for the trial period and are shown below:

Loss and Damage
Procedure to remain with Clothing Stores

Special Size Roll

Procedure to remain with Clothing Stores.  Those personnel currently utilizing this service should view the size range offered with Clothing Online before ordering from Clothing Stores

Maternity Clothing

Release from Forces

Upon release all items are to be returned to Clothing Stores

Nearly New Sales

There is no nearly new items with Clothing Online

Tailoring
Procedure to remain with Clothing Stores unless local procedures are applicable

Initial Issues

If an ordered item does not fit, can I exchange it?

Yes you can, free of charge.  Clothing Online has a free return policy for exchanges.  Simply call 1-888-326-8688, and tell the Customer Service Representative what ordered item you wish to exchange and you will be given directions on how to return the item, only unused items will be accepted for exchange. Ordered items cannot be returned for a points credit. In exceptional cases the matter will be referred to the Project Management Office for disposition. Please Note: This is not a Supply System initiative; therefore you cannot return the items to Clothing Stores.

Chimo!

Nfld_Sapper said:
Logistik Unicorp is the current supplier of all non-operational clothing items for the CF (i.e. DEU'S). Currently it is a pilot project is ongoing for reserve replacement clothing trial.

From Logistik Unicop site:

Chimo!

Isn't that special.

I don't have a comment on it (yet), as I haven't been exposed to it.  My wife, however, is a Supply Tech, and I kinda want to hear from her on this subject.

More to follow ....

Retired CC said:
Isn't that special.

I don't have a comment on it (yet), as I haven't been exposed to it.   My wife, however, is a Supply Tech, and I kinda want to hear from her on this subject.

More to follow ....

What's to comment on?   It's a great deal for reservists; we get x number of points to spend each year on DEU items - socks, t-shirts, trousers, jackets, scarves, overcoats, parade boots, oxford shoes - and if we want we can purchase with a credit card in case we really want stuff, and at good prices too.   I think it's a great system and I wish they would extend it to operational clothing.

They even ship by EXPRESSPOST so it gets to us in less than a week.  Plus you can do exchanges if the stuff doesn't fit.  Great for replacing worn out oxfords (we pipers tend to be hard on them, eh) or getting a new DEU tunic when you lose or gain weight rather than trying to wrestle with the handful of worn out stuff kept in the unit lines (or arranging to go down to the ASU on the one night a month they actually decide to support the reservists).

Michael Dorosh said:
What's to comment on?  It's a great deal for reservists; we get x number of points to spend each year on DEU items - socks, t-shirts, trousers, jackets, scarves, overcoats, parade boots, oxford shoes - and if we want we can purchase with a credit card in case we really want stuff, and at good prices too.  I think it's a great system and I wish they would extend it to operational clothing.

They even ship by EXPRESSPOST so it gets to us in less than a week. Plus you can do exchanges if the stuff doesn't fit. Great for replacing worn out oxfords (we pipers tend to be hard on them, eh) or getting a new DEU tunic when you lose or gain weight rather than trying to wrestle with the handful of worn out stuff kept in the unit lines (or arranging to go down to the ASU on the one night a month they actually decide to support the reservists).

It would be nice to have op clothing available like that too... but I think it would lead to more items being sold on E-Bay and at surplus stores.

Chimo!

Back