• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Another question...this time about deployments

MrCoffee

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm wondering for regular forces, if you're an officer (say signals) does everyone get an opportunity to go overseas and how long into your career would this typically happen?

Just from reading the forum I'm getting the impression that being an officer is more of an admin/office job and NCMs get more opportunity to travel? But one of the reasons I wanted to join the CF is I want to be able to travel overseas.

I was wondering if someone could explain how all this works for a signals officer. Thanks.

Not everyone in the military deploys; this goes for both officers and NCMs - Reg Force and Reserve. If there is a mission going on, some will get the chance to deploy shortly after being trades qualified, others may have to wait a couple years or longer. As well, if you join and there are no large overseas missions currently going on, you may be waiting awhile for a opportunity to deploy.

Sig Os can and do deploy, as well they can be posted to various units(including Combat Arms as a Signals Platoon/Troop Commander). Also, they will go out on exercise with their unit.

MrCoffee said:
Just from reading the forum I'm getting the impression that being an officer is more of an admin/office job and NCMs get more opportunity to travel?

It is called "mathematics".   

An overseas deployment may call for thirty (30) Signallers (one (1) officer, one (1) Warrant Officer, three (3) Sergeants, six (6) MCpls, nineteen (19) Cpl/Ptes). 

How many officers will deploy?

..........No smart answers from the peanut gallery about Staff Officers of 'Any' Trade in need of a gong.

so other officer trades like Engineer Officer woud have more chances to travel overseas?

If that's the case  I should phone and ask to make Eng my first choice (its currently my 2nd) but I don't want to be annoying because I've already switched like twice.

MrCoffee said:
so other officer trades like Engineer Officer woud have more chances to travel overseas?

George Wallace said:
It is called "mathematics".   

An overseas deployment may call for thirty (30) Engineers (one (1) officer, one (1) Warrant Officer, three (3) Sergeants, six (6) MCpls, nineteen (19) Cpl/Ptes). 

How many officers will deploy?

Are you sure you should be applying to become an officer?

yeah I mean I have 2 degrees and I'm more of an intellectual than a hands on person, I think I'd make a great officer

I'll just keep my application as is then and look for opportunities to travel if I end up being selected

The CF doesn't go anywhere without Sigs support. Ergo, there's gonna be a Sigs O somewhere in the TO&E. You'll get your chance to wait around for another deployment like the rest of us Army folks.

MrCoffee said:
yeah I mean I have 2 degrees and I'm more of an intellectual than a hands on person, I think I'd make a great officer

I'll just keep my application as is then and look for opportunities to travel if I end up being selected

Care to expand on why you think that you would be a good officer?

I have two degrees as well. Your point?

MrCoffee said:
I think I'd make a great officer.

Because of your phenomenal decision-making skills?

MrCoffee said:

There is a lot more to being a good officer then being intellectual and, from my experience as a NCM (granted that is only 3 years) the best officers often are hands on.
Just food for thought you might be applying for something a little more then you think.

why I'd make a good officer:

- I never give up, I'm the most determined person I know
- I lead by example
- I take initiative and never come unprepared for anything even if that means asking a lot of stupid questions at first
- I'm highy educated which does count for a lot

that's what I have to bring to the table

and when I say I'm not hands on I don't mean I'm afraid to work hard or get involved it means there's people that probably have more aptitude for working with their hands than I do and my talents lie in using my brain to solve problems

MrCoffee said:

- I lead by example
- I take initiative and never come unprepared for anything even if that means asking a lot of stupid questions at first

and when I say I'm not hands on I don't mean I'm afraid to work hard or get involved it means there's people that probably have more aptitude for working with their hands than I do and my talents lie in using my brain to solve problems

To be honest with you, what you quote as qualifications are things we can find in any good Sergeant. They are determined, they lead by example, they come prepared and they are highly educated, some with degrees/diplomas but all with an extensive amount of trade training and practical hands on experience.  If these are the only things you can think of to show why you will make a good officer, take a hint from an old MWO...rethink why you feel you woukd make a good officer or expect to have a career where your troops follow your Sergeants more then you.

MrCoffee said:

- I lead by example

My father once told me:

The number one rule for any officer is "take heed the experience of your NCOs" - a fresh meat junior officer knows nothing beyond the realm of academia; you must learn from your Sergeants, Warrant Officers but easily the greatest source of wisdom is your RSM - they don't wear a great Coat of Arms on their sleeve for looks...

(Granted, this was when I was considering attending RMC, which I never followed through, opting for a different career path)

MrCoffee said:

Thank you for taking my question seriously.

As has been said, NCMs aren't ignorant, and you seem to be putting a great deal of stock into these multiple degrees of yours.

You consider yourself more of an intellectual than a hands-on person, but I don't think you're really grasping the roles and responsibilities that we're talking about.

You seem hung up on your education more than it merits. My cousin was an EME officer. She studied computer engineering and became responsible for a shop full of vehicle and weapons technicians. She wasn't grappling with great technological paradigms, and she relied on senior NCMs for far more than grunt work. I've known an off-the-street Sig O who was hired with an art history degree. He was taught what he needed to know about the trade on his courses.

You will be a cog in the machine, fulfilling a function. A book I was reading as a tangent from a university course (that the army offered me as a corporal) described the German professional military system as "organized mediocrity", whereby the system could rely on tasks being completed to standard. The individual genius might not be able to flourish as he might where he can just improvise, but staff could effectively plan. Cogs of known minimum capabilities able to accomplish tasks to standard, as components completing higher level tasks are stronger at accomplishing larger goals. That's the sort of place where modern military professionals fit in. You are trained, indoctrinated in how things are done within your role, and you try to excel within the model. You don't forsake innovation within your lanes, but you don't for example redevelop communications security amongst the troops you're leading.

I remember a SigO trying to explain a fault using digital logic in post ex once. He failed to understand how his explanations were ineffective in their intent. I could see where he was going with it, but there was a more effective (and not dumbed down) means of going about it, which was carried out by a sergeant.

Your education isn't worthless, but it isn't important in the way that you think that it is. Likewise, the image that you seem to give of the officer's role is a bit off.

My suggestion would be to identify a means of meeting with officers (preferably trades that you want) and discussing the nature and specifics of their experiences. Ask a handful of questions, but mostly listen and learn.

Back