• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Applying After Foreign Military Service

I was on a tasking last summer and met a guy he's a warrant but he used to be in the Britsh SAS he's now Reg force but not sure with who though i was actually to terrified to ask him....he was probably one of the scariest, meanest mother F****** i have ever met....but he did have some interesting stories.

"Although I'm not an expert on FFL and JTF2s' "WAY OF DOING BUSINESS" ....I do know at least a dozen ex-FFL and your comment would be considered an insult to any JTF (support/assaulter types) alike."
Right after posting my comment, I realized that it could easily be taken in either a positive or negative way. I meant it in a positive way and was hoping that anybody responding to it would have taken it in a positive way as well. That obviously didn't happen. I should've modified it right after posting it but chose not to hoping anybody responding to it would have taken it in a positive way.

I should've orginally structured or subsequently modified my comment as follows:
'He should've seriously considered joining JTF-2 as an assaulter as I'm sure his experience and skills acquired in the elite FFL as a front-line soldier (this is assumed on my part) would've been highly welcomed and useful in the also elite JTF-2.'
Sounds better in this form doesn't it? It can't possibly be taken in a negative way now.

If you're going to criticize a comment I've made that can obviously be taken in either a postive or negative way, at least give me a chance first of explaining its intended meaning as to clear up any controversy surrounding it, which I woul've been happy to do. Instead, you assumed right off the bat that I meant it in a negative way. If you didn't notice the possible double meaning of my original comment, then I apologize to you for the last 2 sentences.

"WAY OF DOING BUSINESS"
You quote this expression as if you took it from my original comment, which I find odd since it isn't contained anyhwere in it. So why did you make it appear like a quote from my original comment then? I've never put words in your mouth so why do it to me?

I hope this clears up my admittedly controversial and unpolished comment.

Regards

Enough of the "i knew a guy who's friends with the brother of a guy who served in..." stories.

Its first hand knowledge, everybody has met someone who has served with a  foreign military at least once in their lives. Lets keep it to "I did" rather than "i knew a guy..."

Dillinger did you ever consider the reason why the former member of the FFL chose to go the navy route is because they wanted to do something different? In the CF we generally try to accomodate a members wishes when we can.

"Dillinger did you ever consider the reason why the former member of the FFL chose to go the navy route is because they wanted to do something different?"
Yes I did. This is why in my modified comment I specifically wrote 'SERIOUSLY CONSIDERED JOINING'. But you have to agree that my modified comment still can't possibly be taken in a negative way no matter what perspective you look at it from, which is the way I originally intended it to be. I took extreme care when modifying it to make this as evident as possible.

To answer your original question ("Are you an expert of the FFL and JTF2?"), no.

Regards

"I was on a tasking last summer and met a guy he's a warrant but he used to be in the Britsh SAS he's now Reg force but not sure with who though i was actually to terrified to ask him....he was probably one of the scariest, meanest mother F****** i have ever met....but he did have some interesting stories."

Holy Crap! He probably saw a lot of action if he's an older generation ex-member of the British SAS. Probably saw some action against the IRA!

Thanks for your reply.

Regards

My father was in the British Army and did a tour in NI before he came to Canada and ended up joining the Reserves.

When I was in the Reserve, there were a few people who were ex British Army an NZ Army in my unit. One of the ex-British Army guy's started out as a Seaforth, than joined the Brits did a few years there came back to Canada an joined the Reserves again a few years ago. On a course I was on awhile ago there was a Pte who was ex Russian Army. On my BMQ one of the instructers used to be Rhodesian Light Infantry.

"On a course I was on awhile ago there was a Pte who was ex Russian Army."

I did not expect to read this! Thanks for your reply.

Regards

"I served with an armored unit in 'Nam."

So you're either ex-US Army or USMC, right? What year/years did you serve in 'Nam?
Are you Regular or Reserve?

Thanks in advance.

I'm somewhat interested in knowing why you have this particular question? Are you looking for case studies? have you served with other militaries? Are you just curious, and what brought this on?

You might get more responses if you're wondering and it's for a valid reason.

Especially in Canada, we get a lot of guys who've served with other Commonwealth armed forces. I myself now a couple of Brits who did some time in NI, Cyprus, etc, and have since then served with the CF.

also, pet peeve of mine, if you look at the buttons above, there's an insert quote option. Helps to identify quotes a lot easier than just the quotation marks. Observe

Dillinger said:
So you're either ex-US Army or USMC, right? What year/years did you serve in 'Nam?
Are you Regular or Reserve?

Thanks in advance.

Sig_Des said:
I'm somewhat interested in knowing why you have this particular question? Are you looking for case studies? have you served with other militaries? Are you just curious, and what brought this on?
I'm interested in this subject because I find soldiers (past and present) with experience in multiple (2 or more) militaries to be fascinating because of their diverse and (usually) colourful military experience.  As such, I am highly interested in learning about the general foreign military experiences of these kinds of soldiers that have served or are serving in the CF (since I live in Canada), hence the reason for me starting this thread.

Sig_Des said:
You might get more responses if you're wondering and it's for a valid reason.
I don't know about you, but I think that I've gotten a fairly sizeable amount of valid replies in direct response to my original questions. I didn't expect to receive a truck load of replies to my questions as they were only aimed at a very small number of people.

Regards

Dillinger said:
I don't know about you, but I think that I've gotten a fairly sizeable amount of valid replies in direct response to my original questions. I didn't expect to receive a truck load of replies to my questions as they were only aimed at a very small number of people.

You'd be surprised at how many serving and ex-serving members had backgrounds in other nation's militaries.

I met a guy once that served in the US Army ... leg type ... he said they sucked.
;D

There is a guy in my regiment right now, who was a rebel fighter in Burma some years ago. 

Well, I will avoid the "he said, she said" and simply state that I personally know (as in first-hand, quantifiable resumes) multiple serving or ex-Canadian soldiers with former service in foreign military forces.  Off the top of my head, I can think of a former Res F CWO who had service in both the Rhodesian Light Infantry and the South African Pathfinder (SF) Company in the early 1980s.  I can also state that I personally know still-serving CF Reg F infantry officers with former service in the Rhodesian Light Infantry, the French Foreign Legion, the British Army, and the U.S. Army.

There are more out there than you might imagine.  It all tends to come out when we strap on the Mess Dress.  And that is just counting the guys who actually joined and served with foreign militaries.  There are far, far more serving CF officers and NCMs who have served with allied forces on attachment in operational theatres.  I can think of fellow CF officers who served with the British Armoured Corps and Artillery during GW 1.  More recently, I know of at least one Canadian infantry officer from my Regiment who served with U.S. forces during the past year in Iraq.  And no, he wasn't flying a desk....

FWIW..... 

I had a guy on my SQ course who was a Conscript in the Russian army.  His family moved to Canada, and he joined the Reserves.  He was a really nice guy too. 

As for the guy what was in the FFL, then joined the navy..............was in the Militia got bored joined the FFL, 2REP, lasted almost half his engangement, deserted, found a Canadian Embassy overseas and finally made it home, tried to rejoin the Militia, didn't pan out, join the Regs, PPCLI, got bored figured hey the Navy why not??        He already knew he could surf in Texas, and we call him Captain America, good brwal in the mess that night!

Why we would give any time to a deserter I dont know....and one that could not make his first FFL engagement doesnt deserve having the FFL associated with his name. He is just a deserter he does not get to call himself FFL. I would suggest that if the administration knew he would be released, that my be a good thing.

Back