• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boot cleaning / polishing / care of

Im leaving the Following Sunday (Feb.16) on train from Windsor. Maybe ill see you around up in St.Jean!

Anyway, Im going to the recruiting office tomorrow morning to fill out the paper-work and what not. I am also wondering on what to bring in regards of clothing, I guess ill just ask tomorrow.

Hailz,

yeup, they do! good luck at St.Jean, guys!! (my boy is half done basic.. now only another 63 weeks to go!!) - ish

Not a problem if you are missing a few pieces of kit from that list. In the first few days in St-Jean, you will be taken to the base CANEX to buy whatever you are missing. :cdn:

are any of the things on the list truly necessary or just preferable? I would think the army will supply all the things that will be needed.

The sheet said to bring the items to Basic Training, so I‘m going to. A little too early in the career to do anything too stupid :)

Hello,

With respect to civilian clothing, I‘d bring more than just a few shirts and a pair of jeans. Definately enough for a whole weekend (3 days), if you should be so lucky. I‘d also bring something comfortable if you get a night off during the week, as it will feel good.

Bring lots of plain white socks too, for PT.

As for the kiwi stuff, you will have an opportunity like ppl have said to buy it at the CANEX.

Good luck :)

Well, found the Kiwi supplies at Canadian Tire. Found two brushes to apply and work with the Kiwi Shoe Polish, but didn‘t find a hard brush. Do I need one to take off the dirt and grime with? I asked around in shoe stores about a hard brush that will work to clean leather, but no one could help.

Also, its says to bring "shower tongs". Call me slow, but I have no clue what these are, or if I do, I know them as something else. Can anyone enlighten me as to what shower tongs are?

For cleaning dirt and grime caked on your boots, using a toothbrush is probably the best. A harder bristle type might be to your liking. Or you could just get a normal scrub brush (hand sized) made by Rubbermaid with nylon bristles.

You could use a lot of "stuff" for purposes that aren‘t their primary function... (i.e. dental pick, baby wipes)

Shower tongs (aka foot condoms) are just flip flop slippers. It‘s so you don‘t get warts on your feet.

you can always rely on good ole‘ DND to make dumbass spelling mistakes, no doubt about it... lol, but yah.. a hard bristled toothbrush is good for getting dirt out of the little crevices in you‘re boots.. also, you might want another for blackening your welts. (the part where the stitching is {around the sole} on parade boots or combats)..thats what i use anyways. (on my cadet parade boots.. same as regforce boots)

Kiwi Polish and Kiwi Cloth are the best stuff on earth for getting a nice shine, I use water when I polish, but it has ot be cold water. I found that the cold water reacts with the polish just right to get a nice shine. I also Apply a thick base coat and leave it on for at least 24 hours before I start polishing. The kiwi cloth works wonders, no other cloth that I‘ve used compares.

Dacier,

Bring that old toothbrush to apply polish to the spot between the sole and leather and to clean out dust from that area. Also, bring a soft shaving brush; great for removing dust from your weapon for inspections and removing dust from your locker/bed in tight spots.

We had coveralls to wear during the evening for cleaning/doing kit, etc. but we could also wear civvy tshirts, etc. during that time. Bring something comfy for evenings. I kept mine in the barrack box - personal area; they fold up really small. We were required to hang one civvy outfit in the locker and ironed, etc. same as the military kits. Don‘t know if that‘s still required.

Good luck.

Hi I was wondering if anyone out there has any good techniques when it comes to polishing boots. Mine right now are in a very poor state and i‘m interested in getting a nice glass like shine to them.

Regular Kiwi boot polish, a Kiwi cloth and a lot of hard work. All of those "tricks" you may hear of usually don‘t work, and turn your boots to $hit. The only way that works is just elbow grease.

GGHG_cadet, I would say go ask the Aircadets. I know when I was in, teh Air Cadets always had the best boots around. Apart from that just stay in on the weekend and work on them while your watching TV.

For regular combat boots try liquid polish. I usually rub on a coat of Kiwi "honor guard". Takes about a minute per boot, not even.
It comes in a black bottle, pretty cheap. The shine doesn‘t last too too long, depends on how much you use your boots i guess but for one day a week inspections kinda stuff it‘s great.
Also if you want them to glow for an inspection rub on a few coats of "future floor polish". That does an amazing job but i heard if you are on inspection in the rain or whatever it will "run". Never been in that situation though. (The floor polish stuff is also pretty sticky and makes a mess if your not careful)

Another trick I make the guys in my section do is to use this kind of oil sponge from kiwi. Just rub your boots down with the sponge and it looks like you spent hours shinning them. Works really well too when your boots are dull and you don‘t want to be singled out for looking like you didnt polish yours. Costs like 2 or 3 bucks.

thanks for the tips ive tried the Kiwi "Honor Guard" and those internet trick and after using those tricks they were $hit

This may be a repeat of the last question, but we were never taught how to polish our DEU shoes to shine like mirrors. Can someone please help? I can‘t get them past a certain stage of shineyness! Thanks

Here‘s what I do, although there are probably better ways.

You‘ll need: Kiwi cloth, tin of Kiwi Parade Gloss (normal Kiwi would work too) but not dried -- should be creamy, hot-warm water.

1. Wet a chunk of your Kiwi cloth with hot water, wring it mostly dry.
2. Wrape the wet cloth over your finger and get a little bit of polish onto the cloth.
3. Rub the surface of shoe/boot in small circular motion until polish is gone.
4. Repeat over entire shoe with multiple coats, repeat step 1. when cloth is dry.

Back