• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boot cleaning / polishing / care of

Spin Doc‘s method is probably the best, but to get boots or shoes to that glass shine requires a lot of coats of polish to get the surface really smooth and it usually takes a long time. to make things go a bit faster use two fingers instead of one.

I ment that the tricks didnt work and the boots looked even worse. Thanks alot for all your geat tips and tricks.

Hi, I was a WO1 in the Air Cadets and thanks for the commment, we did have really shiny boots. I am kind of reluctant to give away the secret, but we‘re all on the same team :)
This way works for cadet issue parade boots. I‘m not sure about combat boots. if they are already $hit, strip them using boiling hot water and a slightly coarse cloth. This will melt out and rub off all the contaminants.

Next, get a gob of polish and rub it all over the boot wherever you want it to shine later, in other words the whole boot! This gives you a nice "base coat" make sure your base coat is even and uniform throughout. try not to leave bumps but use a good amount of polish.

After this, wait a day or more, up to a week and then it‘s time to start polishing. Get some cold water, some say use warm water but I‘ve found that the added heat+friction of your polishing starts to melt into the base coat creating a cloudy look, this cloud will not go away, if you get the cloud I would start at step one again. I get really cold water to apply the polish, wet the cloth and wrap it around a couple fingers, If you really want excellent detail use one finger, but that takes forever so I use two. now you dont want the cloth dripping wet so wring it out and then get only a small amount of polish on the cloth. (I find that mashing Kiwi polish into a paste makes it easier to use) Then apply the polish using a circular motion like what has already been mentioned and you‘d be amazed at how fast your boots shine up.

I always got compliments on my boots from my flight staff and it‘s really not that difficult to get them good. I don‘t buy into using rub-on polish or anything, maybe for other types of boots, but for parade boots, good old fashion kiwi cloth and black kiwi polish is the only way to go.

Cheers,

Rob.

Thanks alot i was wondering at any time do you buff the boots or just keep polishing.

if you keep polishing after the polish has been worked out of the cloth it‘s sort of the same as buffing. the only difference is that with buffing, you tend to get streaks. they‘re not too bad but they take away from the shine. keep polishing in circles, if it feels like there‘s a lot of friction breathe on the boots (the same way little kids breathe to fog up windows), i find that gives just the right amount of moisture.

For touch ups, try using an old nylon or panty hose (boy, I can see the comments now) instead of a kiwi cloth. Just make sure it‘s clean! :D

This way works for cadet issue parade boots. I‘m not sure about combat boots. if they are already $hit, strip them using boiling hot water and a slightly coarse cloth. This will melt out and rub off all the contaminants.
Combat boots are not meant to be polished to the same degree as the ankle/parade boots. It is sufficent that they appear to have a slight shine to them (but if you are on QL2/BMQ, listen to what the course warrant/section commander wants).

As for the new "gortex" boots, they CAN NOT be shined as you have to use that useless boot paste that is issued with them (only good for blackening)

Actually, it‘s officially against QR&O‘s to polish combat boots at all. But try getting away with that...!

You know the actual section/number/whatever for that? Might be funny to try sometime.

C‘mon, what can they do, demote me? BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

eh, I was reading the QR&Os and I couldn‘t find
anything which said that combat boots shouldn‘t
be polished...

I know that it‘s in there somewhere (I had it pointed out to me by a WO, in my previous post I meant to say that the combat boots should be blackend with polish as to remove any trace of dirt or scuffs.
But from the courses I have been on, eventhough the QR&O‘S states that they are not meant to be shined, try telling that to any of the course staff and you would be in a whole new world of hurt.

You are supposed to maintain your equipment, boots included. Combats are to be kept clean and polished to help maintain water proofing ( also have a **** silicone stuff for the boots.) But on any courses you take up until you are above a MCPL you better have them done nice for any of the time you are in depot in classes. BTW that future floor wax trick does work if you do it right, toe cap is done in 2 moves only across top and then aropund the front taking care NOT to overlap your stokes, and apply only once.. :)

The new gortex boots are not to be polished because boot polish seals the leather and your feet will sweat, defeating the whole purpose of the boot. The "uselesss" paste allows you to blacken them without damaging the breatheablity.
The combat boots are issued with a care tag that tells you not to use boot polish, only the silicon & liquid blackener, both avail at the QM.
Kind of like the care tag found in your combats, that tells you not to iron them. Totally disregarded by some people.

Hmm ive been out a while, was refering to the older boots... Sorry.. :D

When I look at boots of service man there boots are sooo shiny ! How do you guys do it?

*regarding parade boots*

Thanks in advance. :)

Lots and lots of elbow grease. :D

Actually I learned when I was in cadets. Most the problems with doing boots for cadets, such as yourself, is the amount of time availiable to do them. You have school, homework, some people have jobs, cadets, and trying to have a social life. Not much time for them boots is there?

My opinion here is, when you are watching TV at night, do a little polishing. Even half an hour a night for a week will show big results.

Here‘s a secret:

When they are gleaming you don‘t have to work hard on keeping them that way.

Use ONLY shoe polish, nothing else looks as good or stays better. Don‘t burn shine, they‘ll crack or dull in bright sunlight/ heat.

Hope this helps

Regards

The only real secret, like Franko said, Is time!
When you think they‘re polished well, put another layer on. Just keep building layers on layers of polish, that‘s the only real secret to shiny boots. Brush in the polish for the first few layers, then break out the kiwi cloth.

OF course, there are alot of tricks, but none of them are good for your boots and in the long run they‘ll only hurt.
I‘ve seen alot of different things; for example, lighting the polish on fire before dipping into it with the cloth (I was always too afraid to try that), kiwi parade gloss (it comes in a can just like normal polish), breathing on the boots after applying the polish then rubbing it in with the cloth.

Actually the last one I‘ll admit I use, I don‘t even know if it helps but I‘ve been doing it ever since I used to polish my dads parade boots when i was a kid and it has stuck. Just keep putting on layers, that‘s the easiest (albeit time consuming) way of doing it.

I would also suggest the Kiwi parade gloss that Che suggested, on that I would only use Kiwi polish, one reason it is very popular so if you are ever away and need polish you can get it anywhere and have consistency. But that is why I also suggest Kiwi polish; it is of very good quality and very consistent tin to tin.

Next is supplies, this is very important, you will need three brushes make sure that they are made of horse hair not nylon, some people use a cloth but I prefer a brush applicator, it is easier to get into the grooves between the sole and leather, so you will need a small brush applicator. I would also get a course brush, and then a soft fine brush; Kiwi does have the brushes as well. After you purchase them never use them for anything other than black, if you have other colors, get brushes for them.

Apply the polish all over the boots with the applicator, then let the boots sit for at least ten minutes, this gives the wax time to dry. Then with the course brush, give your boots a brisk brushing, this will remove the residue and your boots will begin to shine. Then with the fine brush, lightly brush the boots, this will polish the wax and you will start to see the difference. Then you can use a boot polish cloth to give it one more shine, but I prefer to use panty hose nylon, this will really bring out the wax, your wife or mother may not like this very much so ask if they have an old pair to give you.

Repeat the process till they come out the way you want, I agree with Franko and Che, do not try anything else like burning, or some of the liquid waxes, they bring out a quick shine but in the end get dull and you cannot get them to shine as good, never mind the cracking. And the more you polish them the shinier they will get.

All valid points for you Cadet 810. I don‘t think you‘re going to hear anything different from anyone else. Just take your time and use the hints stated above.

Cheers

I‘m not sure, but I‘ll guess at lots and lots and lots of elbow greese. Or just don‘t get em dirty..
:p

Back