• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boot cleaning / polishing / care of

Elbow grease is the way to go. My boots never looked as good as they did on BOQ, because we spent a couple of hours on them every night as we studied.

Yep Elbow grease, And Time.

Ive wore the same parade boots since cadets, And Man they Put ppl to shame, except someone dropped my kiwi cloth in clp, and it dired, now my boots are foggy, oh well start over again. New base coat.

They have a shine oh, but not mirror shin..:-(

Maybe I should have posted in the Army Cadets section, but this seemed better -_-

Ok, one of my boots just got totally screwed and this is really, really not good. Allow me to explain.

Alright, so I‘m in Army Cadets. I had super-shiny boots, and I even got best dressed last week (Hooo yeah!). So I was shining them just now, and I don‘t know why, but one just got all grainy! And I can‘t get it to fix! Any suggestions? I‘ve heard that oil would be good for it, but I‘m not planning on doing anything crastic just yet -_-

Don‘t fret Shayla....just keep working on them. And for God‘s sake....

DON‘T USE OIL ON THEM :eek:

Regards

Water, unless you like spitting a lot :rolleyes:

I‘ve always used water, an worked fine for me.

Does anyonw know where to find Miki polish?
I can‘t find it anymore!

So far I‘ve spent many hours working on my boots.
I am getting a bit of shine. Do I start useing less polish?

It is good to let them dry so that the wax gets hard, then keep at it, what shines is the wax not the leather, the more wax you apply as in layers the better the shine.

Just a minor tip, but don‘t use a ton of polish at once, because it is a waste and sometimes makes it duller. Just a tiny bit works, believe it or not.
Also, don‘t start the polish on fire after it is on the boot. It usually melts through all the layers and you will have to take them down ((I run an iron over it and wipe off the polish repeatedly to take them down)) and start over.
Make sure you drape a Kiwi cloth or something over them when you are now wearing them. It keeps the shine better.

^_~

Ice Water and a tiny bit of polish (like Shayla mentioned)always has worked for me.

I have an officers mess dinner tomorrow night, and have recieved my two issued pairs of officers dress shoes this morning. They are brand new, and seriously, I can get my old combat boots shinier than the pair of these that I am working on. How shiny should these shoes be and any tips on what to use here?

Kaspa: The oxfords (I‘m assuming that‘s what they are) should shine like mirrors by the time you‘re done with them, but the process takes a while.

First off, don‘t brush shine them like you would a pair of combat boots, they need to be cloth shone. Get a kiwi cloth, a little bit of water in the lid of a polish tin, and some plain black polish. Rub the polish on with the cloth in little circles until you have an even coat. Then, with a clean part of cloth, a dab of water, and an index finger, polish it off again in little circles. Repeat about 20 times until they start shining.

One little cheater trick for a top coat (once you have a lot of layers going on, and you‘re about to leave for the dinner), get a package of that liquid polish, and put in on in a very thin layer. It flakes off quickly, but for a short period of time with little movement it will look nice. Worked like a charm on my inspections for PLQ.

I always wear Cowboy boots.

Then again, I take Tradition seriously.

There are "some" perks to having a "Cavalry " mess kit. :)

Once you have a decent polish on them, you should be able to breath on them and see a fine mist start to form. When your shoes are almost shiny enough, when you add a tiny bit of polish and make the tiny circles, it should smear in a cloudy kind of way...keep at the little circles and all of a sudden you‘re looking at SHINY.

In bright light, you should be able to see your reflection in the toes. If your feet are constructed in such a way that the toe cap bends when you walk, that part of the shoe will flake. There is little you can do about it. Try to get shoes that fit well, and that should help.

kaspa, I was in the same situation and i think i can help.

First, add base layers to the shoes by putting on polish and buffing it off as you would normal combat boots. Let the polish dry at least a few minutes before buffing. After at least five coats of that, you can start shining.

Get a cloth, wrap it around two fingers(it goes faster this way) fill the lid of the tin with as cold of water as possible. Wet the cloth, and then get a good amount of polish on it. If it is rubbing, not sliding on the shoe, you do not have enough polish. Begin shining the shoe by moving your fingers around in tiny circles. The polish will go cloudy at first, and eventually go shiny. If this does not happen, you need more water, or trying breathing on the shoe, and polishing that moisture in. When the shoe is pretty shiny, and the clouds are almost gone, breathe on it again and continue polishing until the clouds are gone.

Unfortunately, this process takes months, so you‘re pretty much screwed for tomorrow night. Hopefully you‘re in a highland regiment, and the spats will cover your shoes.If not, join a highland regiment.

And by the way-your shoes are good to go when you can hold up your watch and see by the reflection what time it is.

kosstro: For an officer‘s mess dinner, the appropriate dress would be mess kit. This does not involve the wearing of spats, and the trews would cover most of the shoe.

Kaspa,

Since you‘ve just been issued your shoes it will be understandable that your shoes will not be very shiny. Don‘t do anything drastic to them for tomorrow night and have them ruined for later. Work on them properly but as much as you can between now and then, you will have made an effort which is usually acceptable. Make sure you continue your work on them after though as the next time they may not be as understanding.

Combat Medic

Having been in a Highland unit, spats are worn with DEU, as mess kit, if the officer doesn‘t have the mess kit. Trews are a particular form of tartan pants and would only cover the shoes like normal pants.

Back