• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Can't find the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ic0n

Inactive
Reaction score
Sorry if what I am about to ask is posted on another thread but I have searched for a while and I can't seem to find out how long is the commitment to the army. Is infantry a 3 year term commitment compared to artilery?
My friend did 2 three year contracts and served 2 tours of duty and now another friend has gone to the recruiter and his artilery contract is 5 years with an optional 1.... is there a difference and can some one send me a thread to this question if it has been answered thank you

Your initial contract for Infantry and Artillery is 3 years, than you get offered your CE which would be another 3 year near the end of that you would be offered to sign another contract to bring you to 25 years.

Every trade has its own Initial Engagment between 3-6 years. Your CE is 3, than the 3rd contract bring you to 25 years.  If you don't want to sign the 3rd contract for 25, you can request a 3 year(only one I've heard of) extension.

http://army.ca/wiki/index.php/MOSID_and_MOC

The actual reference you're looking for is posted here: http://forums.navy.ca/forums/threads/29469.0.html

From what that CANFORGEN is saying, the Continuing Engagement (CE) that you can be offered is not limited to 3 years, although that may be the standard procedure of the Army. As well, after one CE you can also be offered another one. Once again, whether or not you will be offered another one will depend either on the policy in place or the opinion of your Commanding Officer.

what I am really wondering is if I can

join this april into infantry (I am aware it is locked) for a three year contract do all the necessary training and serve on a tour of duty in that 3 year contract.

one thing I learned with the CF... there is no guarantee! ;D

If you want to have a chance to go on a tour without giving a full commitment, you may consider the reserves.

Like the_girlfriend said there is no guarentee for tour.

Yes it is possible to go on tour in your first 3 years, lots of soldiers have done that, but there is no guarentee that it will happen for you or anyone else. Too many variables, how quickly will you get through the training system? What if you get injured? What Regiment/Battalion you get into an where it is in the rotation schedule, etc An with the Afghan mission in question as to what is going to happen post 2011 no one can say without a doubt if you can get a tour in your initial engagement.

Ah I see, hopefully the infantry will open up in April and I will be able to enlist for it (fingers crossed)

Basically just remember what Skeletor said...

There are a lot of variables. If you get in early next year, factor in 3 months of BMQ, possible PAT time, 3 months of DP1...then you would still have to get to a unit that is deploying, be selected to go, do workup, and then deploy.

Ideally even if on April 1 you shipped out for basic, you are looking at a minimum of 6 months before you will even be in a position to be deployed. Many people already have a good idea of if they are going in 2011.

Best of luck.

ic0n said:
what I am really wondering is if I can

join this april into infantry (I am aware it is locked) for a three year contract do all the necessary training and serve on a tour of duty in that 3 year contract.

So you're joining just to go on tour?  Not a great reason to join, IMHO.

Its not the reason of why I am joining but more of something I want to accomplish while I am in the CF, I want to join the army before I get to old and I don't know where my life will be in three years from now and if I didn't serve a tour after three years it might not be possible to serve another three year.

At any rate, your question has been answered.

Good luck.

Milnet.ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back