• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Combat Engineer Advanced MOC question

sappergrad

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

First post, so apologies if this is misplaced at all.

I'm going to be signing up as a combat engineer this summer unless any wild curve balls come my way, but I have a few questions that I'm curious about. I'm in Sherbrooke currently which isn't exactly an engineer boon-town for answers, but I'll continue.

The most important question, I suppose, is will I be hindered with engineer training if I am not full time? I've gotten mixed answers for this question. I'm most interested in the MOC training for field operations and the one for Advanced Water Supply and I have no problem being full time if that's what it takes.

Once FT/PT is squared away, should I tackle the question of 'which regiment?' in house here among sappers or go over to the recruitment boards?

Thanks in advance - the help really is appreciated.

sappergrad said:
Hey everybody,

First post, so apologies if this is misplaced at all.

I'm going to be signing up as a combat engineer this summer unless any wild curve balls come my way, but I have a few questions that I'm curious about. I'm in Sherbrooke currently which isn't exactly an engineer boon-town for answers, but I'll continue.

The most important question, I suppose, is will I be hindered with engineer training if I am not full time? I've gotten mixed answers for this question. I'm most interested in the MOC training for field operations and the one for Advanced Water Supply and I have no problem being full time if that's what it takes.

Once FT/PT is squared away, should I tackle the question of 'which regiment?' in house here among sappers or go over to the recruitment boards?

Thanks in advance - the help really is appreciated.

Every thing you do as a Combat Engineer is geared towards field operations. As a resever Engineer you can get loaded on advanced courses like the Water Supply Operator.

BTW if you enroll in the summer you will not be trained as a Combat Engineer till the 10/11 Training Season.

You're kind of all over the map here.  All Engineer training is for field operations, that's what we do.  As for FT/PT, you realize that the army is not like Canadian Tire, I hope?  Full time means reg force, part time means primary reserve, two different animals.  Choose which you want first, then your other questions will be easier to answer.

Kat Stevens said:
You're kind of all over the map here.  All Engineer training is for field operations, that's what we do.  As for FT/PT, you realize that the army is not like Canadian Tire, I hope?  Full time means reg force, part time means primary reserve, two different animals.  Choose which you want first, then your other queations will be easier to answer.

Also KAT don't forget those that seem to be on continuous Class B Taskings  ;)

Ah, yes, the ever present full time part timers.

NFLD Sapper said:
Every thing you do as a Combat Engineer is geared towards field operations. As a resever Engineer you can get loaded on advanced courses like the Water Supply Operator.

BTW if you enroll in the summer you will not be trained as a Combat Engineer till the 10/11 Training Season.

Appreciated on the info. Carpentry, Communications, and Electrician were all specified with the basic info on combat engineers as 'Field Operations' - sorry to sound a bit redundant. If I do enroll this summer, how would my time differ between FT and PT leading til 10/11?

Thanks folks. I'm glad for the warm response.

grad...
1.  If you are joining the Reserves (part time) and are interested in becoming a Combat Engineer - there are only three locations in Quebec where there is a unit... Montreal, Royuyn/Noranda & Quebec City... and that's it... However, you have a number of choice for Reserve service within Sherbrooke:
a Communications Squadron,
a Medical Coy,
an Armoured RECCE unit &
an Infantry unit...
If you intend to remain in Sherbrooke, I recommend you seriously consider a different role... I do not consider a weekly commute to Montreal for training to be an option.

If you enroll in the Regular force as a combat engineer, you will either serve in French (5 CER in Valcartier) or english (1 CER in Edmonton, 2 CER in Petawawa or 4 ESR in Gagetwon).  You will start with recruit training in St Jean sur Richelieu - and proceed to Gagetown for your basic trade training... (before we even get to advanced trade training).... you've got a long time to go before you are assigned to a Regiment... and unless you make a language choice, the CF decides where they need sappers the most.

sappergrad said:
Appreciated on the info. Carpentry, Communications, and Electrician were all specified with the basic info on combat engineers as 'Field Operations' - sorry to sound a bit redundant. If I do enroll this summer, how would my time differ between FT and PT leading til 10/11?

Thanks folks. I'm glad for the warm response.
Reserves...
You have to start your enrollment papers NOW if you intend to do training this summer
Spring / summer 09  Basic & Soldier qualifications (full time)
winter 09      part time trg
Summer 10    DP1 Sapper (part 1) (full time)
winter 10      part time trg
Summer 11    DP1 Sapper (part 2) (full time)
you would be expected to do some weekend training between Sept & May.

Regs...
It's all done full time - back to back course scheduling.... so if you started in Sept 09, you would be fully trained within 12 to 18 months..... +/- depending on course dates & availability of positions

sappergrad said:
If I do enroll this summer, how would my time differ between FT and PT leading til 10/11?
The best you will get here is an educated guess on this.  You are best to put this question to a recruiter. 

geo said:
Reserves...
You have to start your enrollment papers NOW if you intend to do training this summer
Spring / summer 09  Basic & Soldier qualifications (full time)
winter 09      part time trg
Summer 10    DP1 Sapper (part 1) (full time)
winter 10      part time trg
Summer 11    DP1 Sapper (part 2) (full time)
you would be expected to do some weekend training between Sept & May.

Regs...
It's all done full time - back to back course scheduling.... so if you started in Sept 09, you would be fully trained within 12 to 18 months..... +/- depending on course dates & availability of positions

You can do both in one summer, if you can get 12 consectuive weeks off to do it.

I am crossing my fingers they do 1 more BMQ for reserves in lfca before summer hits (though i dont think there is enough time).  I know NFLD Sapper mentioned on another thread that there will be no full time BMQ in LFCA this summer, not a big deal if i can get sent somewhere else to do it.  Currently i work for the Ontario ministry of health, and they are extremely receptive to the whole reserves thing.

*crossing fingers*  -  just finalized papers today and am awaiting security clearance and reference checks.

Dromano said:
I am crossing my fingers they do 1 more BMQ for reserves in lfca before summer hits (though i dont think there is enough time).  I know NFLD Sapper mentioned on another thread that there will be no full time BMQ in LFCA this summer, not a big deal if i can get sent somewhere else to do it.  Currently i work for the Ontario ministry of health, and they are extremely receptive to the whole reserves thing.

*crossing fingers*  -  just finalized papers today and am awaiting security clearance and reference checks.

No full time or part time period this summer. As for going to a different LFA I highly doubt it.

Back