• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cutting the CF/DND HQ bloat - Excess CF Sr Leadership, Public Servants and Contractors

Blake C. said:
I realize this is an old thread, but it seems to be the best place to ask this. (This quation has been on my mind for some time). So on the forces.ca website it says there are roughly 23,000 pers in the army, 8,500 in the navy, and 13,000 in the airforce. That adds up to around 44,500, but the authorized strength of the forces in 68,000. Is there really over 23,000 pers in all the headquarters? 😂 Now thats bloat.

There are a large number of personnel working in direct logistic or equipment support under the ADM(Mat) umbrella.  That includes existing equipment plus getting all the new stuff, and all the other stuff around keeping people fed, clothed and having the stuff needed to do the job.

Same with all the personnel support, instructors, JAG, etc.  None of those billets fall under any of the three operational commands.  It's also normal for most people to cycle through the various support jobs between operational cycles.

CANSOFCOM is also it's own operational command so none of those are under there as well.

The TL:DR version is; it's complicated!

Navy_Pete said:
There are a large number of personnel working in direct logistic or equipment support under the ADM(Mat) umbrella.  That includes existing equipment plus getting all the new stuff, and all the other stuff around keeping people fed, clothed and having the stuff needed to do the job.

Same with all the personnel support, instructors, JAG, etc.  None of those billets fall under any of the three operational commands.  It's also normal for most people to cycle through the various support jobs between operational cycles.

CANSOFCOM is also it's own operational command so none of those are under there as well.

The TL:DR version is; it's complicated!
Starting to get the idea that it's best not to question anything and keep my head down [emoji16]

Blake C. said:
Starting to get the idea that it's best not to question anything and keep my head down [emoji16]

You have the makings of a great staff officer.

You will love being a bosun. Fresh air, hard work, ropes, boats, guns. What is not to love?

SeaKingTacco said:
You will love being a bosun. Fresh air, hard work, ropes, boats, guns. What is not to love?

And soon enough perhaps even flag and light signalling!

SeaKingTacco said:

Lets see:

Scullery duty in the main cave; doing ship's laundry; down on your knees to scrub decks; pucking your guts out in a hurricane; being out on the foc'sole deck in -20o getting sea spray all over yourself while you break the ice buildup on the gun, guardrails and stanchions ....

Oh wait! Sorry SKT, just figured out you were being rhetorical to use this as a selling point.  [:D

SeaKingTacco said:
You have the makings of a great staff officer.
You will love being a bosun. Fresh air, hard work, ropes, boats, guns.
...plus way  more respect than cubicle dwellers staff officers.  :nod:

I was reading again about Gen.(Ret) Leslie's plan of a force of 50,000, maybe he meant that he wanted to cut 18,000 staff/HQ positions? 😁

Navy_Pete said:
ADM(Mat) and ADM(IE) are good places to start if we want to reduce uniforms in HQs in favour of more pers in operational positions.  There are a lot of military staff positions that could just as well be done by civilians in those organizations.

Navy_Pete said:
None of those billets fall under any of the three operational commands. 
I would not say "operational command" to refer to any of RCN, CA or RCAF.  They are not "operational commands".

MCG said:
I would not say "operational command" to refer to any of RCN, CA or RCAF.  They are not "operational commands".

Technically, regarding NORAD CANR, the RCAF is indeed an operational command, but you're right, otherwise, it force generates for CJOC.

Regards
G2G

Blake C. said:
I realize this is an old thread, but it seems to be the best place to ask this. (This quation has been on my mind for some time). So on the forces.ca website it says there are roughly 23,000 pers in the army, 8,500 in the navy, and 13,000 in the airforce. That adds up to around 44,500, but the authorized strength of the forces in 68,000. Is there really over 23,000 pers in all the headquarters? 😂 Now thats bloat.
We don't have 68k, we have closer to 55k trained personal and maybe another 8 to 10k either in training, JPSU, etc. We have been shrinking since 2008 with our releases out pacing our recruiting.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

However, 68k is a total strength target, not a trained strength target, a point often lost.

dapaterson said:
However, 68k is a total strength target, not a trained strength target, a point often lost.

So, IOW, about the same number as Walt Disney World, with some similar characteristics?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney_World

[:D

daftandbarmy said:
So, IOW, about the same number as Walt Disney World, with some similar characteristics?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney_World

[:D

No, cause Disney can actually buy things, and work efficiantly

MilEME09 said:
No, cause Disney can actually buy things, and work efficiantly

Also their capital projects generally come in on time and on budget.  ;D

:cheers:

Back