• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dog Tags

• Thread starter maple_leaf_forever
  • Start date
Ontario has the same set of rules.  and thank you old medic.  that is what i was trying to say.

hopefully airborne soon said:
Ontario has the same set of rules.  and thank you old medic.  that is what i was trying to say.

Anytime. I don't have anything to do with the cadets, never did.  I just let search worm run on the subject when all this came up yesterday.

Back to the tags though,

Make sure the info on them is correct.  Also, on the bottom line of Cdn set is sais "Cdn Forces Cdn", you probably don't want to have that there (hint hint), replace it with "Cdn Cadet Cdn" or leave it alone.

i used to have a pair of dog tags. they were American though. i think i had my name, rank, religion, and i think blood type. one of them broke off on an Field ex i was on. not a good sign lol :cdn: :salute:

Burrows said:
I can safely say the only things that appeal to me from the ACL kit shop are the drill canes.

and that "Bearly" A cadet...I mean what the heck is up with that...first it was an air cadet...now it looks like they just shrunk the CANCAV and made bear suits...
Do NOT purchase a drill cane from the Army Cadet League, if they're the drill canes I'm thinking of they have no weight to them and are more like a pimp cane.   The "Bearly" A cadet ... I won one 3 years ago at a draw my Regiments Kit Shop held, I've got it around somewhere .... don't really care much for it.

On the topic of this thread, I also had dog tags at one point ... stopped wearing them because I didn't really feel they were necessary (they were American style).  Also they were pretty beat up after a summer at Blackdown.

Still kinda in the subject of dog tags, is there any order the info is in on CF dog tags, like on mine I have my corps name and unit number then my name, then my corps' saying, then my city.  So it looks like this.

903 BCD
J. Stanton
Quansem Ilep
Kelowna BC

Sorry I just thought the way I descirbed it was kinda confusing

OK here go's the dog tag lay out

top one
sn            111 222 333
name        IM Blogns
rel/blood    RC    O/RH/NEG
              CD FORCES CD

bottom one same but no blood type
on back of top one

DO NOT REMOVE
              NE PAS ENLEVER

i am interested in dog tags.  i have onE here that i got at a antique store and  i was wondering if people can tell me what the info on it means. they are the current issue style used today if that helps.

serial number (wont post it here)
name (wont post it hare)
NP        0/RH/POS
CDN FORCES CDN

are these real dog tags (based on the order of information) and what does the thrid line mean.  is the person's unit not supposed to be on the tags?

You have his SIN which dates them as being pre 1992 (?)(Prior to the issue of Service Numbers).
You have his Name
You have his Religion and then his Blood Type
Lastly you have that he is in the Canadian Forces

GW

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/026-04_e.asp

I'm not sure what NP is, it's not recognized under the CFAO above.

The other thing on the third line is the blood type.

Units are not on your tags since most people get posted every 4 years and it would be a pain in the arse to get new tags every 4 years. Most people wear the same ones for the majority of their careers unless they lose them and get a replacement set.

NP could have been for "None Professed" or something similar in order to state that this person prefered not to state his religion.

GW

George Wallace said:
You have his SIN which dates them as being pre 1992 (?)(Prior to the issue of Service Numbers).
GW

Prior to the SIN #, there were Svc # on the dog tags as well.

Not sure if thats what you meant George, but from what I got from his original post was that it says "SN #####" on the tags that he has, and that could mean he has present or "pre SIN #" tags.

Blakey

Those would probably have been different tags....the discs made out of Bakalite (SP).  I think that he is talking about the aluminium ones we had prior to the steel ones we have now, which had SIN.  Only one way to find out: Did the number start with a Letter or consist of three sets of three numbers?

GW

Not quite sure but, as I recall my father's dog tags started with a "SH" then it was followed by numbers. He got in in '58.

armygf said:
i am interested in dog tags.   i have onE here that i got at a antique store and   i was wondering if people can tell me what the info on it means. they are the current issue style used today if that helps.

serial number (wont post it here)
name (wont post it hare)
NP         0/RH/POS
CDN FORCES CDN

are these real dog tags (based on the order of information) and what does the thrid line mean.   is the person's unit not supposed to be on the tags?

Edit: - Re-clarified

OLD Type - With SIN on alloy tags (top one) and DO NOT REMOVE in English only, later ones also had it in French

123 456 789
IM BLOGGINS
RC A/RH/P
CDN FORCES CDN

123 456 789
IM BLOGGINS
RC
CDN FORCES CDN

With CURRENT type -current SN like so on stainless tags with DO NOT REMVOE in both languages

A12 345 678
IM BLOGGINS
RC A/RH/P
CDN FORCES CDN

A12 345 678
IM BLOGGINS
RC
CDN FORCES CDN

If I remember right the bottom one does not have the blood group, only the top portion.

Blank tags (either stainless or older alloy types) can be purchased on the INet.

Cheers,

Wes

NRE (No Religion Entered\ Espoused) can also be stamped in the Religion spot.

Back