• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dog Tags

• Thread starter maple_leaf_forever
  • Start date
You will definitely get a ID before or just as starting your course as you'll need that.  As for the dog tags, if you've filled out the required form, it could take a few days or longer....as with everything, it depends.  I'm only speaking for the reserves as i would hope the reg force would get that done much quicker.

Umm longer actually, I think you get the tags and ID in week 4 or 5, maybe even later. Stops wankers who quit after day 2 from getting them.  8)

Unless you're Clint Eastwood who is smoking a cigar after killing 4 enemies single handedly ... don't wear your dog tags outside of your shirt, you'll look retarded or like some sort of tough guy wannabe.

The question's been answered. You'll get them, when you get them. Some in a couple of weeks, some longer depending on your local supply and admin chains. We've been over all this before.... Want to know more? Do a search.

I don't know if this is just for decorative dog tags or they actually did this for the WW dog tags too. But do the WW dog tags have that little notch at the bottom of the tag? like the dog tag in this link:

http://www.armydogtags.com/FormatWWII1.jpg

If they did, what was it for?
and do they still have that in the new kind of dog tags you guys have now?

thanks for the help
Nick

I'm afraid I don't have anything to offer about the notch, but this link is to a diagram showing what's contained on current-pattern ID discs:

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/images/CFAO0026.GIF

The disc is one piece, but it's scored halfway down to allow the lower half to be broken off.

****GROSS EXPLANATION AHEAD*****

I heard about this a long time ago, and I don't know if this is confirmed or not, but I was told that the notch in the old tags was this - Post battle, when forces were collecting bodies, they would take one disc for records, and the other tag would be place in the dead's mouth, with the notch between the two front teeth - then one would kick the jaw closed, lodging the tag in the dead's mouth.  That way, the tag would not be lost, and would later be matched with the tag collected for records.

A quick google search yielded similar, but not so vulgar stories  http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=notch+in+dog+tags&meta=

whoa, that's pretty brutal just to keep the dog tag with the body.

i read that they put computer chip things i.d. disks now on one of the google sites.
i don't know if it's true or not, but if it is do they do that with the Canadian i.d. disks?

dont.get.it.48 said:
whoa, that's pretty brutal just to keep the dog tag with the body.

Brutal? Well Nick, thats the reality of the consequences of war, and life in the real world. That notch on the WW2 vintage US tags is exactly for that purpose mentioned. There is nothing glorious about death or dying. Dog tags are NOT worn for the Look Cool Factor. On the job, I wear three, two around my neck, and one in my boot.

Here is a pic of my Australian 'I Discs', and some WW2 German ones which I have collected. The German soldiers wearing these tags were killed in Stalingrad, and did not make it home. The German tags are similar to the current CF ones, so there is no doubt where the CF got the idea from. The CF have used their current design since the Korean War. The Germans have used their design since WW1, and still use this design now.

Regards,

Wes

short final said:
****GROSS EXPLANATION AHEAD*****

I heard about this a long time ago, and I don't know if this is confirmed or not, but I was told that the notch in the old tags was this - Post battle, when forces were collecting bodies, they would take one disc for records, and the other tag would be place in the dead's mouth, with the notch between the two front teeth - then one would kick the jaw closed, lodging the tag in the dead's mouth.  That way, the tag would not be lost, and would later be matched with the tag collected for records.

A quick google search yielded similar, but not so vulgar stories  http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=notch+in+dog+tags&meta=

Although this is a common belief it is incorrect heres the link.....

http://www.snopes.com/military/notch.asp

dont.get.it.48 said:
i read that they put computer chip things i.d. disks now on one of the google sites.
i don't know if it's true or not, but if it is do they do that with the Canadian i.d. disks?

There are no computer chips, it's just a stamped piece of steel.

And it's the chain that keeps the tag with the body... that's why they're on a steel chain... one tag stays with the body, one is taken to keep track of the KIAs. On Canadian tags, you break them in half, they're square, with the same information printed on the top and bottom.

Good find Sig!

Another myth busted about the tooth groove, but that still does not explain some US KIA pics from WW2 which I have seen with the tag in the mouth. Although the original design was not intended as a tooth groove, it may have been sued as such anyways.

That bit about the 365 beads and 52 beads on the chain almost had me on the floor. What people are told and believe these days does not amaze me anymore.

Cheers,

Wes

when I joined in 70, the disks were made out of stamped aluminium.
but those were replaced in the mid 80s (?) by identical ones made out of Steel
Something to do about the fact that Aluminium melts at a lower temperature & the forces desire to keep it's records accurately :)

Wesley H. Allen said:
Good find Sig!

Another myth busted about the tooth groove, but that still does not explain some US KIA pics from WW2 which I have seen with the tag in the mouth.

could you post the pics?

big bad john said:
As this is a public site, there is no need to publish photos like these.  Use some common sense!

sorry, your right. I never thought that one through. That would be extremely disrespectful for the families of the victim and the victim him/herself.

dont.get.it.48 said:
could you post the pics?

Mate as I said, ther is nothing glorious about death or dying. Just take a moment and think what you have said. Even if I had them, out of respect for these soldiers who gave their all (and they did), I would not post them. I do remember seeing them in a book, or on a run of film if I remember correctly.

Wes

Back