• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dog Tags

• Thread starter maple_leaf_forever
  • Start date
Welcome to Army.ca, Xenos.

I merged your new topic with an existing one.

Please use the Search Function to research topics of interest prior to posting a question in future - chances are that it has been asked and answered before. You will likely find, during the process, answers to questions that you haven't even thought of yet.

I hope those dog tags in the pictures aren't ones from current serving mbrs.  I wouldn't want my dog tags complete with SN and all that up on a public forum (PERSEC and all).

Xenos, I am wondering why you want to know the format for CF dogtags.  If you are in, your info will be sent off and you'll get them IAW the CF standard.  Unless you are planning on getting some fake ones made up for...some reason or other.

Eye In The Sky said:
I hope those dog tags in the pictures aren't ones from current serving mbrs.  I wouldn't want my dog tags complete with SN and all that up on a public forum (PERSEC and all).

Xenos, I am wondering why you want to know the format for CF dogtags.  If you are in, your info will be sent off and you'll get them IAW the CF standard.  Unless you are planning on getting some fake ones made up for...some reason or other.

Neither appear to be legitimate ID Discs.

The top one looks like a fake, when looking at the holes for the chain.

The bottom one has an invalid S/N.

AND ....... NO.....The SIN is not used.

Eye In The Sky said:
If you are in, your info will be sent off and you'll get them IAW the CF standard.

I thought I'd just toss this in here... I have been in since '98 and have put in a request for ID discs every year (sometimes twice a year) and have yet to recieve a proper set of tags...  I stress proper.
Granted, I have one of those names that can be easily screwed up; getting 8 letters in proper sequence can be tricky sometimes... even when their typed out in capitals... So needless to say, I have a lot of ID discs with a variation of my name, service number, blood group and religion, but none of them are correct.

I even had to get "fake" tags made up (in Petawawa) for deployment... even after multiple memos to my home unit and the unit I was attached to... And the engraver got it right in one try... for $8.

I will have my CD before I have proper tags.  ::)

Hey RHFC,

Here each Q Store has an addressograph for dog tags, you walk in with the right proforma filled out, wait a few minutes, and presto, sign for them, and your tags are done and you got them in your hand.

None of this 'national' long term/short term waiting in the dark BS where they are done in some other part of the country, and you end up waiting for years.

Cheers,

Wes

Overwatch Downunder said:
Hey RHFC,

Here each Q Store has an addressograph for dog tags, you walk in with the right proforma filled out, wait a few minutes, and presto, sign for them, and your tags are done and you got them in your hand.

None of this 'national' long term/short term waiting in the dark BS where they are done in some other part of the country, and you end up waiting for years.

Cheers,

Wes

Well... that's the straw that broke the camels back... set another place at the table, I'm heading down under.  ;D

I know this may seem like a really stupid question but...

I am allergic to all metal except for 18k gold, Platinum, or Titanium and I know dog tags are made out of steel, so my question is am I going to broken out in hives for the rest of my career or do they have extenuating circumstances for people like me?
And before anyone suggests it I have tried the clear nailpolish trick and it doesn't work.
I don't know if I can get a set of platinum tags made and get them so engrave all the info.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance  :)

P.S. If this question has already been answered I am sorry... Tried searching for it but didn't find anything close.

You can cover the chain, either with para cord or plastic IV tubing.  I have also seen little plastic pouches (like the ones for coins) used to cover the dog tags.  Often, they are not even worn around the neck but placed in the inside pocket of the combat shirt.

AirBratt said:
I know this may seem like a really stupid question but...

I am allergic to all metal except for 18k gold, Platinum, or Titanium and I know dog tags are made out of steel, so my question is am I going to broken out in hives for the rest of my career or do they have extenuating circumstances for people like me?
And before anyone suggests it I have tried the clear nailpolish trick and it doesn't work.
I don't know if I can get a set of platinum tags made and get them so engrave all the info.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance  :)

P.S. If this question has already been answered I am sorry... Tried searching for it but didn't find anything close.

I'm in a similar boat. I have eczema and *most* metals for me are okay but for some reason the dog tags aren't... I'm at school now so I don't wear them anyway, but after a week in the field I have a pretty distinct rash and it gets out of hand.

I asked the medical staff here (there is no MO here so the doctor and I just ended up asking the Med Techs), only one person had an answer. The WO said no, I was not allowed anything and I couldn't buy my own and get the same stuff stamped on them, because apparently "these dog tags are specially designed not to melt in case of fires/explosions and such." ::)

After some brainstorming we thought about running them through a laminating machine and hence covering them with plastic... I have no idea if this works yet. If not I'll be looking into it further.

I would suggest titanium before platinum if you do go the route of buying your own... much cheaper.... stronger... and has a melting point of 1649 degrees Celsius( just in case they need to identify your dust). I'm not sure how ridiculous / possible it might be to break off the end though.

Does the chain itself bother you too then?

EDIT: PMedMoe, I thought it was a great pet peeve of you medical folk when they are not where they are supposed to be?

PMedMoe said:
You can cover the chain, either with para cord or plastic IV tubing.  I have also seen little plastic pouches (like the ones for coins) used to cover the dog tags.  Often, they are not even worn around the neck but placed in the inside pocket of the combat shirt.

Surgical tubing works well.  Been using it for years.  Keeps my neck from turning black.  Don't wear the ID Discs next to skin; wear them outside of the T-shirt (under the Cbt shirt of course).

I`m interested into how one would hold a weapon, a KFS, a gerber, an arch or purlin for modular to help sent up tentage etc etc ...

Wear gloves 24 and 7 for the duration of their career ... we have a whole bunch of metal exposure no matter the job or rank ... door handles etc.

Perhaps you could request a total office makeover!! Post the pics of your uberoffice!! Imagine - all platinum. I`d be good with that!!  ;D

ballz said:
EDIT: PMedMoe, I thought it was a great pet peeve of you medical folk when they are not where they are supposed to be?

Well, not to me, it doesn't really matter in my job.  But yes to some.  Probably peeves crusty old RSMs even more.  ;)

ballz said:

As long as they are somewhere that's standardized, who cares.  For the OP, most of us at one point or other have had to slide the chains through some paracord or plastic tubing...as for the actual tag, ballz was onto something - don't laminate per se, just use map talc and punch out holes for the chain.

MM

medicineman said:
As long as they are somewhere that's standardized, who cares.  For the OP, most of us at one point or other have had to slide the chains through some paracord or plastic tubing...as for the actual tag, ballz was onto something - don't laminate per se, just use map talc and punch out holes for the chain.

MM

LOL. And, if they DO care where they are located, rather than just caring that they are in a `standardized position` - they deserve to be mentioned in the `you know you are a dinosaur`or a member of The RCR thread.  :D

I used the paracord and placed gun tape on the back of the tags; it worked for me.

Edited because I am a twit and forgot about our much valued dress and drill gawds - The RCR.

True - hey, I was with 2 RCR for a couple of years, it's taken awhile to clear out my colon.

MM

Vern,

Get out of my head.  As soon as I saw the post my first thought was "screw the dog tags, how are you going to survive with everything else in the CF that's metal?".

medicineman said:
True - hey, I was with 2 RCR for a couple of years, it's taken awhile to clear out my colon.

MM

Thus, I have now ammended my original post.  >:D

edited: damn typos.

medicineman said:
In a bubble like John Travolta...

MM

Well, as long as that bubble is fully employable and deployable - I`ve got no issues with it other than the fact that stocking replacement bubbles would decrease the amount of space I have available for little things like guns, ammo, food, water etc.

Back