• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dog Tags

• Thread starter maple_leaf_forever
  • Start date
Point noted, ha!

The Aussie tags are exactly the same shapes as the WWII Cdn type, but instead of fibre, phosphated brass.

In Iraq we had to wear them, plus I had another single tag tucked in my right boot.

I would have thought the CF stainless type would be more robust. Somewhere in my collection of army crap, I do have an old set of early stainless and a few sets of the alloy types. The design is good, practical, and yes 'stolen' from the Germans, who used the basic one piece in an oval shape for both world wars.

Cheers,

Wes

Dunno about all others but, I still have two sets of alloy disks with my SIN on them and two sets of stainless.
Have as yet, never had a problem of them breaking.... then again, I haven't tested it out to see how car I can go before it will break.

Maybe I got part of a bad run but they really have a problem.  Even the commissionaire that handed them to me in the Ident office noticed how weak they were in the middle

Hello,

As a civilian, I am curious to see what an actual military issued CAF identification disc (dogtag) looks like. I would appreciate it if someone could please post a close-up photograph or scan of their tags.

Please do not link to images of NON-military produced knock-off replicas.

Thanks

Should anybody choose to do so, blank out your personal information first. Failure to do so can set you up for a lot of grief.

mydogtag said:
Hello,

As a civilian, I am curious to see what an actual military issued CAF identification disc (dogtag) looks like. I would appreciate it if someone could please post a close-up photograph or scan of their tags.

Please do not link to images of NON-military produced knock-off replicas.

Thanks

Already been but.....

http://www.dogtagscanada.com/

dileas

tess

I keep breaking the chain on my dog tag's. Is there a better chain out there. Our where do you get a replacement for them. I'm a CIC Officers so do not have access to a base.

LaFrog said:
I keep breaking the chain on my dog tag's. Is there a better chain out there. Our where do you get a replacement for them. I'm a CIC Officers so do not have access to a base.

Just don't wear them all the time... I can't see them being mandatory in CIC, no?

What in God's name are you doing that keeps breaking your dog tag chain?  That having been asked, if you are that clumsy that you keep getting it caught it's probably best that you keep the "weaker" chain (for obvious reasons) which is uaually available in bulk at any hardware store like Home Depot or Cdn Tire.

Cleared Hot said:
...if you are that clumsy that you keep getting it caught it's probably best that you keep the "weaker" chain (for obvious reasons)
Shhh....let Darwinism play out as it should  ;)

Anybody know the current CF policy on the wearing of I.D. tags?  Are they mandatory for all members to wear (including navy) or optional?  Did a search but couldn't find anything specific.

Thanks,
Snakedoc

Just wear them, have the same chain that I was issued a few years back. Have a few of the keepers to fix them up. The ones in bulk chain keeps rusting on me. Ok where can a person get a new chain. Is it available through supply or the MP?

I don't know what the policy is but I only wear my dogtags when I am doing something dangerous that involves me not being able to be identified through other means (licence, licence plates, ID card, etc...)

In Afghanistan I had them on all the time but really, the chances of you getting killed in AFG without anyone around that are able to ID you, are slim to none.  I could understand during past large scale conflicts the chance of not being known by the people that find you, but these days I can't see it happening that often.

They are in the supply system issue is a box (50) if I remember most supplys had a few on hand for walk-ins. I put in a 2302 years ago for some and a box arived.

Thank you for the reply, do you happen to know the NSN for them. I can try and order a box an see what happens.

Next time Im at the unit I will dig it out and IM it to you.

Journeyman said:
Shhh....let Darwinism play out as it should  ;)

Good lord, after reading this thread my IQ is 20 points lower!!

OK, for the ones who keep breaking their chain - get hold of some 50/50 cord, pull the white ropes out and keep the "skin". Feed the chain into the "skin" and voila - reinforced (and comfortable) chain. I've seen it done with rubber med tubing as well. Rusty? The chain is stainless steel my friend - hang it on a hook when not in use, not in the flush box of your toilet...

Yes, PRes get ID disks (Americans call them "Dog Tags", Canadian call them ID Disks...)

S/C is 21-520-5611 (U of I is EA and there are 50 to a box)

davidsonr_91 said:
Do members of the PRes get dogtags?
Why wouldn't PRes get ID Disks?????? Are they not worth Identifying?

Back