• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dog Tags

• Thread starter maple_leaf_forever
  • Start date
OK, I have more chest hair than Austin Powers (ask anyone who's actually seen me).  It's so thick, that when I wear the crew neck T Shirts, it looks like I'm wearing my wool sweater.  I've never had problems with my tags "infiltrating" my chest hair.  I wear them all the time (only because I'd lose them if I didn't).

The Librarian said:
I too highly recommend the 550 cord solution. I had the same problem with my chest hair until that 550cord secret was revealed to me.

Hi Vern,

Do you also get angry at the Giecko commercials?    ;D

Drummy

Captain Sensible said:
OK, I have more chest hair than Austin Powers (ask anyone who's actually seen me).  It's so thick, that when I wear the crew neck T Shirts, it looks like I'm wearing my wool sweater.  I've never had problems with my tags "infiltrating" my chest hair.  I wear them all the time (only because I'd lose them if I didn't).

I'd just be concerned about losing the dog tags inside your luxurious mane of chest hair...

D Squared said:
tess,
a Paesan?  ;D

Frig you all with your weak aise solutions.  I have a sweater for chest hair, and wore my dog tags raw all 17 years I was in. :-\

Yer all Weak!

dileas

tess

George Wallace said:
Dog Tags in your boot, your pocket, or your wallet are not in their proper place.  If a Medic can not find your Blood Group in an Emergency, then you will soon become a "John Doe" in the Morgue.   ;D

I've always been told that the medics are going to blood type you regardless of what your tag, velcro, etc says.

Big Red said:
I've always been told that the medics are going to blood type you regardless of what your tag, velcro, etc says.

Civy question : Is it thuth ? And if yes, why ?

Yrys said:
Civy question : Is it thuth ? And if yes, why ?

Simple answer:  Yes, because the ID card/tag may be wrong.

The more detailed but still simple answer:  Blood typing is a laboratory test done to determine a person's blood type. If the person needs a blood transfusion, another test called crossmatching is done after the blood is typed to find blood from a donor that the person's body will accept.

Blood typing and crossmatching are most commonly done to make certain that a person who needs a transfusion will receive blood that matches (is compatible with) his own. People must receive blood of the same blood type, otherwise, a serious, even fatal, transfusion reaction can occur.

Crossmatching is the final step in pretransfusion testing. It is commonly referred to as compatibility testing, or "Type and Cross."  Before blood from a donor and the recipient are crossmatched, both are ABO and Rh typed. In addition, antibody screening is done to look for antibodies to certain Rh, Duffy, MNS, Kell, Kidd, and P system antigens. If an antibody to one of these antigens is found, only blood without that antigen will be compatible in a crossmatch. This sequence must be repeated before each transfusion a person receives.

To begin the crossmatch, blood from a donor with the same ABO and Rh type as the rcipient is selected. If an unexpected antibody is found in either the patient or the donor, the blood bank does further testing to make sure the blood is compatible.

In an emergency, when there is not enough time for blood typing and crossmatching, O red blood cells may be given, preferably Rh-negative. O blood type is called the universal donor because it has no ABO antigens for a patient's antibodies to attack. In contrast, AB blood type is called the universal recipient because it has no ABO antibodies to attack the antigens on transfused red blood cells. If there is time for blood typing, red blood cells of the recipient type (type specific cells) are given. In either case, the crossmatch is continued, even though the transfusion has begun.

If you are interested in some aspects of blood trasnsfusion in a military setting: (it's not just about sticking a needle in a guy's arm and letting red stuff flow in)
Fresh Whole Blood Transfusion: A Controversial Military Practice http://www.usaisr.amedd.army.mil/gwot/FWB%20-%20Kauvar%202006%20J%20Trauma.pdf

Blackadder1916 said:
This sequence must be repeated before each transfusion a person receives.

Do you know why ?

Thank you for your detail answer and the link ...

HA! light bulb!  :-[

Yes, there is no national registry of blood type for everyone, which a doc
could consult to find out about all the specifics of a patient  :D .

A question for those who keep their Dog Tags in their pants pocket:

How long is the chain you have on them?

I mean......If someone has to break off half and place the chained half in your mouth and kick your cadaver's jaw shut, is the chain long enough?

George Wallace said:
A question for those who keep their Dog Tags in their pants pocket:

How long is the chain you have on them?

I mean......If someone has to break off half and place the chained half in your mouth and kick your cadaver's jaw shut, is the chain long enough?

That's not done any more, the chain with top half of the tag is left around the neck.

NL_engineer said:
That's not done any more, the chain with top half of the tag is left around the neck.

And the disc/tag placed in the mouth to protect it from being torn off or destroyed in secondary 'events' such as explosion, napalm, or just transport through 'obstacles', etc. which may occur before the body can be properly recovered.  If it is left in a pocket, then some poor soul under combat conditions may waste precious time trying to find them.  How many times have you misplaced something in a Combat pocket and searched all pockets looking for it?  That is why it is worn around the neck.  STANDARDIZATION.

Why should some poor soul fall victim to enemy fire searching a body of a comrade for their ID Tags?

Everyone who has stated that it doesn't matter where, and that 'they' know who was "on the plane" are only thinking of one casualty.  What about hundreds or thousands of casualties?

so on the weekend i had a buddy come over before we went out and he saw my dog tags on my dresser and decides to snap them apart. I was pissed because it took me close to 4 months to get them.
but the point of this is does anyone know how much its costs to replace them so i know how much he owes me? and also would i just go to the Clerks at the armoury and ask to order new ones or would i go to the kit shop?

i would normally ask someone on a parade night but are armoury has shut down for the summer

mckee19 said:
i would normally ask someone on a parade night but are armoury has shut down for the summer

Your unit will still have some daystaff during the week. Call or find out the hours and go in.

3 bucks at Canex (mind you these are blanks)
BUt yes just order new ones from your OR

... 1.  don't invite your friend over when you have breakable things lying around and get him to by you a couple of beers to compensate you for the trouble you have to go thru to get them replaced.

2.  put the darned ID Disks away when you aren't wearing them.  Forget about the look cool factor (LCF)

3.  Go to the OR and ask them to order you a new set of disks

Back