• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Exempt Drill and Training Form - Merged

Hi I need the form for Exempt Drill and Training and I don't have access to DIN or any other military database that isn't public.  If someone could post it or email it to me that would be great.  Thanks alot..

You actually don't need the DIN for many administrative items.  Check out this thread for some great links for future use.

As for your ED&T question, this is the only reference I could find at the moment.

EXEMPT DRILL AND TRAINING
23. All members of the Primary Reserve may be granted exemption from Cl A Res Svc as follows:

up to 180 days in any 365 day period, by the CO; and
in excess of 180 days, as directed by the Commander of a Command.
24. When an exemption is granted to a member of the Primary Reserve, the appropriate entry will be made to the Reserve Data System. However, since members of the NDHQ/PRL and their attached members from the Supp Res are not administered through the RDS these entries are instead to be submitted in accordance with A-PM-245-001/FP-Z01.

I could not find a form of any kind.  From previous experience, I have seen this requested by request form and/or memo after which the BOR will ensure that you fill out all applicable paperwork.  It is possible this has changed though or I am incorrect.  I will keep looking and in the meantime somebody else may be around that can help further.  I also suggest that you contact your supervisor as they should be key in helping you with this process as well.

IIRC - the form we used in my reserve days was from either Brigade or Area Directives, therefore what form you use will depend on where you work.  You'll need to contact someone from your unit.  They may be able to email you an e-copy of whatever form is the appropriate one for you.

The APM-245 is only accessible through the Baseline, link found on Rules, Orders & Directives page.

Am at home so link to provide.

airmich said:
You actually don't need the DIN for many administrative items.  Check out this thread for some great links for future use.

As for your ED&T question, this is the only reference I could find at the moment.

I could not find a form of any kind.  From previous experience, I have seen this requested by request form and/or memo after which the BOR will ensure that you fill out all applicable paperwork.  It is possible this has changed though or I am incorrect.  I will keep looking and in the meantime somebody else may be around that can help further.  I also suggest that you contact your supervisor as they should be key in helping you with this process as well.

Just to set things right, the ref you used for the information regarding ED&T was linked to a superseded instruction(ADM HR 2/93) and is no longer current.  The proper instruction for Reservists is CMP Instr 20/04 with the latest amendment 4 dated 10 Aug 07.  One of the significant changes is that the CO can only approve up to 90 days ED&T.  This is an excerpt from the instr:

3.8  Exempt Duty and Training (ED&T)
a. Administrative procedures are detailed at ref B;
b. A mbr of the P Res, CIC or att mbr from the Supp Res may apply for ED&T.  In any 365 days period it may be granted as follows:
(1) up to 90 days, by the Commanding Officer (CO);
(2) from 91 to 180 days, by the immediate higher HQ to the unit (Brigade or equivalent); and
(3) from 181 to 365 days, by the Area HQ or equivalent;
(4) for periods in excess of 365 days, by a Commander of a Command or their designate for that purpose.  For all other Res F sub-components or Group Principals and Primary Reserve lists, the approving authority is the officer with powers and jurisdiction of an officer commanding a command for the specific Res F sub-component or Group Principal, or their designate for that purpose. Only exceptional circumstances will be approved.
c. All requests shall be in writing through the chain of command prior to the ED&T start date. Except in exceptional circumstances, such as emergencies that cause the mbr to be absent for more than 30 days, requests shall not be approved/granted retroactively;
d. ED&T shall not be used to avoid the administrative requirements of dealing with a mbr who is non-effective; and
e. Except for maternity/parental (MATA/PATA) leave purposes, ED&T does not count toward qualifying svc for promotion, incentive pay, Canadian Forces’ Decoration or clasp, or the Reserve Force Retirement Gratuity (RFRG).

The link to the form for requesting ED&T is below.  I believe it is only accessable through the DIN:
http://hr.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/DHRIM/mhrrp/Ch19/engraph/ANNA_e.dot

Yes this is the form I need...Can someone who has access to the DIN please email it to me?

Thanks

Aerobicrunner said:
Just to set things right, the ref you used for the information regarding ED&T was linked to a superseded instruction(ADM HR 2/93) and is no longer current.  The proper instruction for Reservists is CMP Instr 20/04 with the latest amendment 4 dated 10 Aug 07.  One of the significant changes is that the CO can only approve up to 90 days ED&T.  This is an excerpt from the instr:

3.8  Exempt Duty and Training (ED&T)
a. Administrative procedures are detailed at ref B;
b. A mbr of the P Res, CIC or att mbr from the Supp Res may apply for ED&T.  In any 365 days period it may be granted as follows:
(1) up to 90 days, by the Commanding Officer (CO);
(2) from 91 to 180 days, by the immediate higher HQ to the unit (Brigade or equivalent); and
(3) from 181 to 365 days, by the Area HQ or equivalent;
(4) for periods in excess of 365 days, by a Commander of a Command or their designate for that purpose.  For all other Res F sub-components or Group Principals and Primary Reserve lists, the approving authority is the officer with powers and jurisdiction of an officer commanding a command for the specific Res F sub-component or Group Principal, or their designate for that purpose. Only exceptional circumstances will be approved.
c. All requests shall be in writing through the chain of command prior to the ED&T start date. Except in exceptional circumstances, such as emergencies that cause the mbr to be absent for more than 30 days, requests shall not be approved/granted retroactively;
d. ED&T shall not be used to avoid the administrative requirements of dealing with a mbr who is non-effective; and
e. Except for maternity/parental (MATA/PATA) leave purposes, ED&T does not count toward qualifying svc for promotion, incentive pay, Canadian Forces’ Decoration or clasp, or the Reserve Force Retirement Gratuity (RFRG).

The link to the form for requesting ED&T is below.  I believe it is only accessable through the DIN:
http://hr.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/DHRIM/mhrrp/Ch19/engraph/ANNA_e.dot

tannerthehammer said:
Yes this is the form I need...Can someone who has access to the DIN please email it to me?

Thanks

Why not ask your OR/Section Commander for the forms?

Can I apply for a commission in PRes (NCM-Officer) while on ED & T?  Or would I have to come off the ED & T...My BC wasn't certain...

Thanks

Ok so I have recently been promoted on paper, received mail from NDHQ with my new rank on it but I have yet to receive my new rank slip-on pinned on my chest yet and probably won't for sometime as I am on ED & T but I still keep in contact with my CoC...

My question is when I am emailing or corresponding with my CoC should I use my new rank in the correspondance or use my former rank as they haven't officially given me the slip on?

Thanks

When you e-mailed your regimental contacts, as it seems that is how you keep in the loop, what do they say?

Otherwise, maybe show up and give the rank a whirl.  It will do wonders for curiosity and ego.....

dileas

tess

The document authorizing your promotion is not the same as being promoted, it authorizes your CO to promote you (assuming no conditions have changed that he may have to seek its reversal).  I would suggest you ask your contacts if they can identify a convenient time for you to visit the unit for the formality of having the slip-on "pinned on your chest".

Like M O'L says 'until it's given to you, you ain't got it'. I first have trouble seeing how someone on ED&T gets promoted. Promotions are given on merit, performance and qualification. The first two cannot be gauged while you're on ED&T. Given everything else, if you want the rank, it's incumbent on you to accept the responsibility and do the job. If you can't do the job, you don't get promoted.

Go back to work and do the job you're expected to do, at the level you have attained. If you can't do that, you shouldn't be entitled to the promotion.

recceguy said:
I first have trouble seeing how someone on ED&T gets promoted. Promotions are given on merit, performance and qualification. The first two cannot be gauged while you're on ED&T. Given everything else, if you want the rank, it's incumbent on you to accept the responsibility and do the job. If you can't do the job, you don't get promoted.
I am unsure on how this applies to Class A's, but from DAOD 5023-2:
A current annual physical fitness evaluation with a pass rating achieved no more than one year (365 days), or an incentive exempt pass rating achieved no more than two years (730 days), prior to the effective date of a promotion, in accordance with promotion policy in applicable CFAOs.

PO2FinClk,

Yes, the PT test is a requirement, even on Cl A.

I don't know about other units. In our world the promo starts with the SSM saying your ready. With all the requisites, Xpres(or BFT), course, time, merit, etc. It then goes through a vetting, OC, Adjt, RSM, CO, et al. If at anywhere along the line someone doesn't figure it's time (with substantiation), the process stops. Unless the CO signs off, I don't know how it can happen. Even from Tpr to Cpl, where nothing but time & quals is involved, it still takes the CO's sign off, so far as I know. If anyone knows of another way, feel free to let us know.

Excused Drill & Training. It means you're not parading, showing up, working at the Unit, in uniform, nada. You're on vacation from the military. Normally due to school or work, and normally for a six month period, although it can vary dependent on the circumstance.

PO2FinClk said:
I am unsure on how this applies to Class A's, but from DAOD 5023-2:

In short, I have everything thing I need for my promotion already (quals & fitness test etc.) and did those quals before I went on ED & T...Everything has already been signed off by the CO and I receive mail with my new rank on it...Whether or not I deserve to call myself my new rank is irrelevant...I want to know what the rule is if I am corresponding with my unit?...Lately I have been using my former rank in emails with the BSM etc. but the Chieft Clerk calls me by my new rank so I'm kind of confused...

Michael O`Leary said:
The document authorizing your promotion is not the same as being promoted, it authorizes your CO to promote you (assuming no conditions have changed that he may have to seek its reversal).  I would suggest you ask your contacts if they can identify a convenient time for you to visit the unit for the formality of having the slip-on "pinned on your chest".

I'm not allowed to do anything even remotely military while on the ED & T and that includes showing up in uniform and being given the slip on...

Back