• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Favourite War Movies

"Oh yes, oh yes.  As one almost senior citizen to another I like your choices,  A particularly favorite black & white of mine is From Here to Eternity.  A classic tale of garrison life in the peacetime regular army on the eve of Pearl Harbour."

- A classic. Frank Sinatra, no less.  And speaking of Sinatra:

'Von Ryan's Express'  if you like trains AND MP 40s!

- For .50 cal and Volkswagen lovers, I recommend 'Castle Keep' with Burt Lancaster and Peter Falk.

What about the original 'The Thin Red Line' with Kier Dullea (of '2001' fame) released about 1968?

Shec TCBF, now those are classics.

I love the fact that some on here seem to think that Saving Private Ryan or Black Hawk Down are classics. They may be someday but movies like cars take time tio become classics.

Other Oldies but goodies

Guns at Batasi (1964)

The Last Grenade (1970) A bit hokey but interesting location

A Hill in Korea (1956)

Edit: Ok I just read the whole 15 page thread and I have repeated myself here, but so have others and the thread has been going on for three years now. Amazing how the same movies keep coming up again and again. Especially Band of Brothers, Platoon, The Odd Angry Shot, and Zulu. No mention of Tunes of Glory though.

Play Dirty (1968) 

Ice Cold in Alex (1958)

The Seventh Dawn (1964)

and As far as I know surprisingly not mentioned yet

Tunes of Glory (1960)

Ach, we are indeed " wee mean men" for overlooking Tunes of Glory over 3 years.    Danjanou's remembrance of  Ice Cold in Alex brought Humphrey Bogart in Sahara to mind.  Which in turn stimulated the memory of some other desert flics:

Cast a Giant Shadow
The Desert Rats
The Desert Fox
The Lighthorsemen
Tobruk
Khartoum

Savior with Dennis Quaid.  Very harsh hard true story of the Ex-Yugo conflict.

Sahara a classic wartime movie, full of cliches but still a classic. It in turn leads to other Bogey wartime dramas

Across the Pacific

Passage to Marseille

To Have and Have Not

Key Largo ( post war but still should be in here)

and of course

Casablanca

Hmm.. so many to choose from:

A Bridge Too Far
Guns of Navarone
Saving Private Ryan
The Thin Red Line

Was Passage to Marseille the one where Bogey was a B-17 air-gunner?

And if we are going to remember Bogey i guess we are duty-bound to remember the Duke, even if they were pretty simple:

Back to Bataan
fighting seabees
flying tigers
sands of iwo jima
they were expendable
the green berets

And while I'm thinking of the Pacific War - GRegory Peck as MacArthur.

Yup shec that's the one. They're prisoners who escape from Devils island to join the Free French. The whole movie is told in flashback while waiting for the bombers to return from a mission.

The Duke it would take another three years to list his movies here.

Thanks and Point taken on the Duke. Enough said about him.    BTW there was a Brit war movie from teh early 60's on late night CBC this week - The Long and The Short and the tall.   A Great cure for insomnia. :boring:

The Bridge Over The River Kwai.

Used to be shown during CLC courses - as a study in what leadership is.

I'll offer "Henry V" (Kenneth Branaugh).  Its even better when you skip the lame dialogue involving the women etc.

I'll also throw in "The Longest Day."  Great ensemble cast on both sides of the battle.  The German fighter pilot is still one of my favourite characters.

"Bridge at Remagan" is also another good one.  War stripped down.

Finally, "Megaforce."  I think this movie inspired the whole Army Transformation thing. Wink Wink. 

Cheers,

2B

p.s. Did I make you google?

Boy, so many  movies to choose from. Previous posters have covered many of the best movies filmed. Listed below are some of my favourite movies with some additional comments:

* The Great Escape. This film would have been better if the motorcycle race hadn't been included. But apparently, Steve McQueen thought the film needed more action and being the top star - he got what he wanted. One thing that I've always found interesting about this film is the presence of Donald Pleasance. Pleasance had served with the RAF in WWII, was shot down and actually served time in a POW camp! At least two of his co-starts also served in the military; Steve McQueen had served in the USMC, but never in combat, and James Garner had served in the Army and was wounded during the Korean War. Its amazing how many older movie stars had actually served in the military, often in combat. Unfortunately, it’s very rare these days. Another story for another day.

* Saving Private Ryan. The first thirty minutes of the film are outstanding and the special effects throughout the movie are very good. The rest of the movie is very good, except for some Hollywoodisms (walking across an open field in broad daylight). When the movie was over everyone just sat in silence and do one moved. The only time I've seen that happen in a movie.

* Go tell the Spartans. A good movie starring Burt Lancaster about the early American involvement in Vietnam.

* Cross of Iron. A rare movie in that it’s taken from the German point of view. The movie was directed by Sam Peckinpah who was known for his use of violent, slow-motion scenes of killings and you get it spades in this movie. One of my all-time favourites.  Filmed in Yugoslavia which meant the use of lots of authentic equipment (T-34s, MP-40s, MG-42s, etc.).

* Bridges at Toko-Ri. A good film about USAF pilots ordered to destroy a set of bridges during the Korean War. Stars William Holden, Grace Kelly and Mickey Rooney.

* To Hell and Back. Autobiographic film of Audie Murphy's service in WWII. Audie Murphy, besides being a popular film star in the 50s and 60s, was also the most decorated U.S. soldier during WWII. He managed to win pretty well every decoration the Americans had including the Medal of Honor. And survivied!!

* The Quiet American. Also, starring Audie Murphy. Again, about the early U.S. involvement in Vietnam. Remade a couple of years ago with Michael Caine.

* Apocalypse Now Redux. A classic. The original version was damn good and the movie has got better with the issue of the directors cut version which includes 49 minutes of additional photography which helps flesh out the story. The movie also has a couple of the best quotations ever spoken in a movie.

* Lawrence of Arabia. The American Film Institute has rated this as one of the greatest movies every filmed. If you every get the chance to see it in the theatre - take it! The small screen does not do justice to the films vast, sweeping desert scenes. Don't drink or eat before the movie as its three and a-half hours long!

* Conspiracy. No shooting, no killing, just a bunch of guys (military and civilian) sitting around a conference table in Wannsee (suburb of Berlin) deciding on how the Final Solution would be implemented. The movie is based on the only surviving record of the conference. Chilling in how cold-blooded the attendees were in making the decisions that resulted in the deaths of millions. Also, amazing is how many of the participants survived the war and ended up dying in bed instead of at the end of a rope. Stars Kenneth Branagh.

Well, I could probably go on forever, but time to stop. Taken up too much space already. Hope I didn’t bore anyone.

Even though I love war movies, I don't like loud noises and blood so I tend to miss a lot of war movies, nonetheless...

Retired AF Guy said:
* Apocalypse Now Redux. A classic. The original version was damn good and the movie has got better with the issue of the directors cut version which includes 49 minutes of additional photography which helps flesh out the story. The movie also has a couple of the best quotations ever spoken in a movie.

I still maintain Brando's shadow has more acting ability than most modern Hollywood  hunks put together.

Retired AF Guy said:
* Lawrence of Arabia. The American Film Institute has rated this as one of the greatest movies every filmed. If you every get the chance to see it in the theatre - take it! The small screen does not do justice to the films vast, sweeping desert scenes. Don't drink or eat before the movie as its three and a-half hours long!

Excellent advice. I'm a sucker for cinematography and this one is magic on the big screen. Festival Cinemas in Toronto screens it now and again. I think there was an intermission when I saw it.

Retired AF Guy said:
* Conspiracy. No shooting, no killing

Which somehow makes it all the more terrifying and chilling to me. I found myself thinking this can't be happening then realising it has.

Retired AF Guy said:
Hope I didn’t bore anyone.

Bore? Heck no! You've brought back some great cinematic memories and reminded me of my brother.

IMHO,
Saving Private Ryan, the initial landing scene (albeit CGI) was fanominal! Gut renching realism.  Speilburg's usual.
Jarhead, gets into the head of a Marine waiting for combat.  The oil field scene almost brought my lunch up...again.  BTST.
Braveheart, great battle scenes and a great answer to the "why" we sometimes go to war when diplomacy fails (in todays age) 
All the oldies; The Longest Day, Bridge Over the River Kwai, etc...for the cinematics and grandness of casts. Someone posted that "Bridge" was used as a training aid for leadership.  Hmm, typical British?  Or normal leadership? 
And who can forget in BoB, the young star Lt's comments; "we're Airborne, we're supposed to be surrounded."
:cdn: for this, we fight.

Retired AF Guy said:
* Bridges at Toko-Ri. A good film about USAF pilots ordered to destroy a set of bridges during the Korean War. Stars William Holden, Grace Kelly and Mickey Rooney.

That would be US Navy pilots........

Top Gun, and Braveheart. i have seen braveheart on hear many a time, but how could you guys have forgotten topgun, albeit it did have that fruity Tom Cruise, but come on.

Sands of Iwo Jima
The Story of GI Joe
Battleground
12 o'clock High
Halls of Montezuma

Back