• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

CBC and CTV have both covered it. They have her name her age and her leaving the hospital with her niece. They are covering it more from the misinformation angle though.
Got my quotes messed up. I was meaning to respond to the RCMP chat group.

What I found really disgusting about the woman trampled under the horse was that it appeared to me protestors were almost celebrating that she was rumored to have died. Seemed like they were angling an aha moment against the government.

Another observation:

It's apparent from watching the footage that they had to fly in Police from across the Country to deal with the Ottawa situation.
I have a question regarding police officers from outside Ontario and that is in regard to jurisdiction?

My understanding was that city/municipal police only had police powers in their city/municipality and provincial police forces only had powers in their respective province.

So what powers do these outside police officers have when operating in Ontario?

I have a question regarding police officers from outside Ontario and that is in regard to jurisdiction?

My understanding was that city/municipal police only had police powers in their city/municipality and provincial police forces only had powers in their respective province.

So what powers do these outside police officers have when operating in Ontario?
Normally none as far as I know. The Emergencies Act apparently says you can take police from another jurisdiction and employ them as police.

I am sure an LEO will clarify this.

Normally none as far as I know. The Emergencies Act apparently says you can take police from another jurisdiction and employ them as police.

I am sure an LEO will clarify this.
I think that normally LEOs outside their jurisdiction need to be deputized. But again, and I’m not sure, the EA expedites that or skips the need altogether.

But I’m sure we’ll be corrected on our assumptions.

I think that normally LEOs outside their jurisdiction need to be deputized. But again, and I’m not sure, the EA expedites that or skips the need altogether.

But I’m sure we’ll be corrected on our assumptions.
Generally hot pursuit allows LE to enter another jurisdiction when in direct pursuit.
Down here you are Local LE is still empowered state wide - I would assume similar works in Canada - but I may be wrong.
When I was on a US Marshall Violent Fugitive Task Force - we got sworn in as Marshalls before every operation, but I've arrested folks outside my jurisdiction (and even state once) depending on the type of offense.

Back