• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Gofundme is cutting their throat, If they received any financial benefit from holding the money I hope they get sued. My guess is your going to see a non-partisan version of gofundme start up. I hope all those people who donated start hounding them.
From their website.

• We now have evidence from law enforcement that the previously peaceful demonstration has become an occupation, with police reports of violence and other unlawful activity.
Everyone has been saying that they had made their point. Move on. They turned this into an occupation by staying this long.

I wonder how many other groups they stopped hosting and after effects of said action.

GoFundMe's statement (text also attached) says this ....
... Given how this situation has evolved, no further funds will be directly distributed to the Freedom Convoy organizers — we will work with organizers to send all remaining funds to credible and established charities chosen by the Freedom Convoy 2022 organizers and verified by GoFundMe.

All donors may submit a request for a full refund until February 19th, 2022 using this dedicated refund form.
... Trudeau meeting people would:

1. Stop him from looking like a hypocrite on the world stage (See India Farmer protests)

2. Give Canadian citizens a chance to be heard (See We see you / We hear you mantra)

3. Give the protestor leadership an opportunity to put their foots in their mouth and possibly loose support and steam when moderates want to distance themselves with the movement ...
I've asked before on this thread, but nobody answered: if a negotiation is supposed to be 1) a win-win (at least feel for all sides), and 2) reaching an end state where everyone may not have gotten everything they wanted, how willing would the protest leadership be to meet closer in the middle?

Maybe "we want all mandates, national and provincial, removed" is a starting bargaining position, but that's just as far end a statement as suggesting EVERYONE involved is a nut case, so ...

Attachments

GoFundMe's statement (text also attached) says this ....

I've asked before on this thread, but nobody answered: if a negotiation is supposed to be 1) a win-win (at least feel for all sides), and 2) reaching an end state where everyone may not have gotten everything they wanted, how willing would the protest leadership be to meet closer in the middle?

Maybe "we want all mandates, national and provincial, removed" is a starting bargaining position, but that's just as far end a statement as suggesting EVERYONE involved is a nut case, so ...

That's one of the issues, I believe.

Ironically, when you're a group of anarchists it's tough to elect a leader that everyone will follow :)

Read the CANFORGEN issued today.

Tell Us Drag Race GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

From their website.

• We now have evidence from law enforcement that the previously peaceful demonstration has become an occupation, with police reports of violence and other unlawful activity.
Everyone has been saying that they had made their point. Move on. They turned this into an occupation by staying this long.

I wonder how many other groups they stopped hosting and after effects of said action.
From Wiki
In June 2019 GoFundMe terminated a $3 million fund raising for an Australian rugby player, Israel Folau, to finance a court case to appeal his multi-million dollar dismissal. He had quoted 1 Corinthians 6:9–10 on social media, which was said to be homophobic.[27] An alternative fundraising site was set up by the Australian Christian Lobby with the public donating $2 million in 24 hours.[28]

In January 2022, GoFundMe refused to release the CA$5 million funds raised for Freedom Convoy 2022. A company spokesperson said they paused the campaign in order to give organizers time to plan the distribution of funds.
[29]

Return the money to the donors or allow it to continue, the claims of violence as an intent of the protest is weak.

From Wiki
In June 2019 GoFundMe terminated a $3 million fund raising for an Australian rugby player, Israel Folau, to finance a court case to appeal his multi-million dollar dismissal. He had quoted 1 Corinthians 6:9–10 on social media, which was said to be homophobic.[27] An alternative fundraising site was set up by the Australian Christian Lobby with the public donating $2 million in 24 hours.[28]

In January 2022, GoFundMe refused to release the CA$5 million funds raised for Freedom Convoy 2022. A company spokesperson said they paused the campaign in order to give organizers time to plan the distribution of funds.
[29]

Return the money to the donors or allow it to continue, the claims of violence as an intent of the protest is weak.
I heard that the convoy organizers were planning to give any money left over to a veterans charity, that would be a better idea than giving the money back.

That said, donors can get a refund if they want it.

But with the way the convoy has been running its show, this was the only possible outcome. Otherwise gofundme is liable for whatever goes down.

Trucks inbound to Victoria for the weekend, maybe longer:

Organizers of weekend convoy protest at B.C. Legislature planning for extended stay​

Organizers of an upcoming weekend protest at the B.C. Legislature in support of an ongoing truck convoy demonstration in Ottawa are planning on staying for days, possibly until “mandates are lifted,” CHEK News has learned.

In an exchange on Zello, a “walkie-talkie” style app that has been a primary source of communication for truck convoy protesters, a woman appearing to be an organizer of the rally said plans are being made for the event to last for days, with a “base camp” similar to Ottawa.
The organizer, “Tee Kay 2022” said organizers are working with Victoria police and permitting officials to allow for barbecues or food trucks on site.

“The VicPD are aware that the truckers are coming in and want to be down there and you know, obviously keep traffic lanes open for emergencies but that they want to come and park and stay,” she said.

The organizer also indicated protesters are looking for help from non-profits to find food for participants. CHEK News has reached out to Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps and Victoria Police Department for comment. VicPD has confirmed that it has been in contact with protective staff at the B.C. Legislature.

Public Safety Minister and Solicitor General Mike Farnworth released a statement in advance of the legislature protest saying that the public’s right to peaceful protest will be respected , but unlawful conduct will not be tolerated.

I’m see reports the Ottawa mayor appealed to GoFundMe

Every single seemingly shady thing that happens will galvanize these people at these protests. The majority are not violent and will view the GoFundMe seizure and reasons for same as just another example of why they are there.

edit: GiveSendGo might be stepping up now.

. . . a starting bargaining position, . . .

One of the first rules of bargaining is to only negotiate with someone who can ensure enforcement of the agreement that is eventually reached. By what authority (moral, legal, personality, . . .?) would any of the so called organizers of the protest be able to impose acceptance of any agreement short of their already ridiculous demands.

One of the first rules of bargaining is to only negotiate with someone who can ensure enforcement of the agreement that is eventually reached. By what authority (moral, legal, personality, . . .?) would any of the so called organizers of the protest be able to impose acceptance of any agreement short of their already ridiculous demands.
That's one of my questions, too -- are they going to make the feds tell all the provinces & territories, "hey, no more measures - even though it's your call"? Oh, wait - that would be dictatorial telling provinces what to do ...
edit: GiveSendGo might be stepping up now.
There's a page earmarked there, but just getting this as of this post ...
Screenshot 2022-02-04 205329.jpg

Has that ever been done before ?
I see it somewhat similar to a noisy neighbour who ruins the enjoyment of your property - only writ large. Whether they can make their case, and whether they can get it certified as a class action, remain to be seen. The burden of proof in civil matters is lower than criminal but they still have to establish a nexus between the defendants and the harms claimed.
I’m pretty sure money can be returned but not sure how that works. I could be wrong.
Here is their page on fees. It doesn't say anything about returned funds. There would still be a processing charge by whatever platform they use; it remains to be seen whether they would eat that.

Back