• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Future Armour

As I was typing there was some little niggling memory in my brain struggling to rise to the surface, saying there was another one.  Stupid memory, I just couldn't recall that.  I should have known better.....That was also basically a turret in/out as well wasn't it?

See, back then everyone knew that there wasn't one answer to the tank debate, I still think there isn't.

Hey Lance whereyabin?

Just wanted to go back to something George said about the loader being the least experienced, stuck down a hole reading a book.  It has always struck me that the loader seemed to be under-utilized.  As I understand it the CC in the Scorpion/Cougar with the 76mm, as well as the Scimitar, with the Rarden 30mm is also the loader.  How about giving the loader the CC's optics so that he doesn't have to spend so much time at the library?  Maybe he could get a bit more experience then too.

I like one chassis, two turrets.  Do you want them to be field swappable or is that a workshop task Lance?

And I am starting to like the notion of the 3+1 crew:  3 to fight the vehicle, 1 from command to fight the formation.  Tp Ldr, Tp Sgt/WO, FOOs? Trainees? Strong backs?

You cannot separate commanding a vehicle from fighting a vehicle.  That is why tank commander, Tp WO and Tp ldr courses were (originally) so long.  As a tank commander, the two realities are above and below the hatch ring - the crew/tank world and the rest of the world.  Initially, until the commander gets "at home in the hole" the turret occupies 90% of his SA.  As he develops, he is able to command the tank and do other things as well.  But he MUST do both.  There is no sharp, dividing on/off switch to change mental focus.  it is more like a rheostat - now a liitle more mental energy to the tank as it crosses the AVLB, now a liittle more to the Tp as it shakes out below the crest. 

We cannot have passengers in tanks.  There is no room for "self loading cargo."

AFVs must be commanded, not led by commitee.

Keep the loader as 2i/c. That way, he can observe the mnvr and be trained by the CC, especially in nav, and adopting Turret down/hull down. 

Tom

Thanks Tom.  I appreciate the clarification.

Loader as 2ic?  Is that in the conventional 4 man tank with loader still loading?  In a 3-man with loader also acting as 2ic and Gnr as CC? Or in a 3-man with autoloader but the CC  in the loader's chair? 

Sorry if I'm being dense.  Just want to make sure I am understanding your suggestion.

Cheers.

Kirkhill said:
Just wanted to go back to something George said about the loader being the least experienced, stuck down a hole reading a book.  It has always struck me that the loader seemed to be under-utilized.  As I understand it the CC in the Scorpion/Cougar with the 76mm, as well as the Scimitar, with the Rarden 30mm is also the loader.  How about giving the loader the CC's optics so that he doesn't have to spend so much time at the library?  Maybe he could get a bit more experience then too.

What I said was: 
I always had that argument about who was 2 i/c of the tank.  I agree that it should be the Gunner, as the Loader is quite often the least experienced of the crew.  Where our problem started, in this argument, lay in the fact that being at 'Peace', our second most experienced guy in the tank usually wanted to have his head up and enjoy the view, sticking the least experienced into the 'hole' to read a book through Fall Ex/Reforger.

To claify that....The gunner, being more experienced and usually senior to the Loader, quite often switched places with him.  Also, in a pinch when short handed, a relative Newbie was often taken to fill up a crew and would be tasked as a Loader, not having Gunnery or D&M skills he would be able to fill out a tank crew.  In those days all crewmen knew the C--6 and Comms, so with a brief intro on how to put the pointy end of the big bullets into the breech and where the Loaders Safety Switch was, he would be good to go.

Tom just posted that the Loader should be 2 i/c, and now we can start another thread..... ;D

In a four man coventional tank, the loader and the CC share most of the face to face communication. the CC can see the gunner's back (because his knees are jammed in his shoulder blades sometimes) and cannot see the driver at all.  If the CC needs someone to take over the tank, when he dismounts for whatever, the loader is it. He also does air sentry and watches his arcs when hatches up.  He can monitor one net when the CC is on another, or both when the CC is dismounted.

The CO's loader is the Regt Gunnery WO.  The Sqn Comd's loader is the Sqn Ops Sgt.

In a three man crew, if like the Couger, the CC loads.  So you have no loader (per se) in the turret, just a CC and a Gunner.  In the Coyote, you have a CC and a Gunner.  In any case, the other person who has a hole in the top of the turret is usually the crew 2i/c.

On both my Coyote tours (Bosnia Roto 6 and Kandahar 2002) I was blessed with VERY good soldiers as Gunners.

Tom

As I mentioned....a great debate in Armour Circles.  In Command Tanks the 'Operator' is usually very skilled at running the Net and Battle should the need arise.  In the lowly troops, in the Jnr C/S, that requirement is not required of a 'Loader'.  The debate can rage on for hundreds of years.  If the Commander leaves his tank, the Gunner can 'rise up' and take his place. 

I have waged this debate before....I also had my Gunner take over the Loaders spot and be my 2 i/c....he needed the air.  ;D  He could also work all the guns, the Net, and read a map.  My Loader, who went into the Gunner's hole couldn't......but he couldn't gun either.

"who went into the Gunner's hole couldn't......but he couldn't gun either."

- Ah yass... (coughs)... perhaps we need a "Crew skill/personality deficit Forum."

- I have some such stories.... many about ME!

Tom

Tom and George:

Thanks, once again, for making everything perfectly, crystal clear. ;D

Perhaps we can recap the questions:

a.  What is the purpose of the future tank?

b.  How much protection will it need (against what wpns from which arcs)?

c.  What is the desired level of tactical mobility?

d.  What is the desired level of strategic mobility?

e.  What types of targets do we want it to engage?

f.    What terrain do we see it fighting in?

Some related questions that might fall out of your answers are:

a.  do we have multiple designs for multiple tasks?

b.  how much automation are we willing to accept?

Y'all can probably figure what my answers are, but I thought we'd return to capabilities/requirements for a minute before going back into the "how" we get to thoes capabilities.

Cheers,

2B

Also:

What are the chances the guys in the big seat will even listen to what we are saying?

What are we doing looking backwards at a system we won't get, instead of looking forward, trying to influence the decision of the equipment we will get and have to use?

We'll all be retired and gone to the grave before Canada employs an MBT or tracked variant ever again. Get over it. Let's at least try to push them into sometning survivable, instead of the politically motivated MGS piece of shit that they (GM, GD, the Lieberals) want us to buy.

We're going to do it with the 155's, buying off the shelf. We should do the same by purchasing the Roorikat or similar for our wheeled DFS role.

Sorry guys, but we're pissing up the wall here. This is nothing but the biggest, "Really Julie, there is a Santa Claus" wish list going. Let's concentrate on the future as it's going to be, not the future we want to be.

Sorry TCBF, didn't mean to spoil the fun! :)  

Recceguy,

I see this thread as a theoretical discusion as opposed to "What should Canada's next AFV be?" or "The MGS vs the Rooikat."    I harbour no illusions.   I'm just trying to imagine where "tanks" will be in 20 years.   Perhaps it is an indulgence.   If a couple of things fall out of the discussion that are relevant to today's situation then great.   Looking to the future, while we may not have some the things we are discussing some other folks might out there might.

2B

p.s. Upon reflection, maybe we should start a fresh thread to talk about what AFVs the Canadian Army should have in five to ten years?  Perhaps start with what capabilities we want and then see what is out on the "market" that could meet them?  Assme the same funding envelope.  We've talked around this on many other threads, but sometimes a fresh start is a good thing.

2B,

I have to agree with what your saying.  8) I just get a little depressed once in a while over the whole thing ;)

The Rooikat is far superior, in any measurable category, to the MGS.

Plus, it has a four man crew.  And it's in production, with all of the teething problems sorted out.  It is an extremely well designed vehicle, being designed to operate far from support, ease of crew maintenance was one of the design priorities.  But, it's equipped with the South African version of the French 105, with no parts commonality with our venerated L7.  For some reason, Ottawa insists on using the L7, because we have a hundred or so barrels in war reserve.  Big deal.  Sell them with the tanks, if necessary.  Even the MGS is ill-suited to the L7 (obviously.......)

I personally prefer to have the gunner as my 2 I/C.  The loaders hole is far too often used to stuff the least experienced person in.  The only exception I would make is to the OC's/CO's tank.  They don't even really need gun tanks, their prime job is command and control.  Give them the fake barrel tanks, with oodles of room inside the turret, and give them experienced guys inside the turret.  Fighting tanks (in the troops) would do better with the gunner as 2 I/C.

Morning guys, back to the debate ;D

I feel like getting beaten up again so I am going to take another run at my 3+1 proposal.

Tom says, and I am pretty sure everyone agrees with him, there is no room for "self loading cargo" in a tank.  Lance continues to make a strong case for the viability of the 3-man tank.  A number of successful vehicles have been designed on that principle and have been accepted into service in a variety of armies.  Admittedly not all 3-man vehicles are tanks, more of them are recce or fire support vehicles, but even allowing for blurring of tasks, a number of them are tanks.

So bear with me and allow me to stipulate Lance's position and say that the next tank is going to be a 3-man vehicle, with driver, gunner and CC (either loading [as in the 76mm turret], assisting an autoloader [as in a 25-40mm turret] or having a fully capable autoloader [as in a 60-90mm turret]).  Gnr and CC have separate optics, both can fire the main gun, Gnr handles the main and coax, CC has own high angle MG in remote station. Both have hatches.

That takes care of the Tank as a fighting vehicle.

Now give a bit more thought to the command of a formation of tanks. 

Shared risk and leadership seems to demandsthat the TL/SC/BC/CO be up front with the troops.  As it stands, and as I understand it, the options to allow that to happen are that the Leader operates in a Tank (preferably identical to the rest of the vehicles in the field) or in a separate Command vehicle.  If he/she operates in a common tank then it seems likely that the performance of the tank will be degraded because even armoured types have only so many eyes and brain cells and the Leader's primary task seems to me to be fighting the formation assigned, whether it is two tanks or 57 tanks + attachments.  If the leader is engaged in fighting the formation then isn't the individual tank he/she is riding in put at risk? If the attention shifts to the survival of the tank then isn't the formation putat risk?

If a 3-man tank can fight and survive effectively, then why is a fourth man with an additional machine gun necessary?  On the other hand we know that we can squeeze four people into a tank.

Taking a different tack for a moment,  if the Comd is put in a different vehicle type, or even a tank with degraded capabilities because the comd can't pull his wt while attending to comd duties then that vehicle becomes a liability on the field.  Adjustments need to be made to protect that vehicle, or the vehicle needs to be kept to the rear reducing that shared risk critical to leadership.

On the other hand, putting a command seat into a 3-man tank would mean that: the formation leader would be right up with the forward edge sharing the risk; the vehicle crew would not be put at additional risk because of having the commander unavailable to contribute to their survival;  comd would be able to focus entirely on fighting the formation, enhancing the probability of mission success at least cost.

The Navy has had to deal with this for generations, carrying Commodore's and Admirals on board their ships.  They too think their ships are big targets that would benefit from being smaller and have no room on board for passengers.  The issue is do you create space for the Commander or do you give him a separate ship which you have to defend?

Perhaps I could ask this another way.  Which is best going to guarantee that you survive an engagement with the enemy?  Having your Tp Ldr and Tp Sgt/WO man another machine gun or have them fight the formation using all the weapons at their disposal to best effect?    As to the "vacant" command seats in a 4 tank troop, how about them being occupied by a FOO/MFC and an Inf LO from the attached inf forces?

Cheers

As it stands, and as I understand it, the options to allow that to happen are that the Leader operates in a Tank (preferably identical to the rest of the vehicles in the field) or in a separate Command vehicle.  If he/she operates in a common tank then it seems likely that the performance of the tank will be degraded because even armoured types have only so many eyes and brain cells and the Leader's primary task seems to me to be fighting the formation assigned, whether it is two tanks or 57 tanks + attachments.  If the leader is engaged in fighting the formation then isn't the individual tank he/she is riding in put at risk? If the attention shifts to the survival of the tank then isn't the formation putat risk?

One of the many command decisions that may be made is to personally intervene in the battle by bringing one's own weapons into the fight; to re-enforce success, attempt to forestall failure, or exploit a unique opportunity when it presents itself.

Depending on the rank of the commander and the nature of the formation, this happens more or less often. For armour, my reading of history is that squadron commanders (and their SHQ troop) would do this occasionally, troop leaders were always engaged, and regimental commanders rarely (the regimental commanders I have studied have led from command cars and CPs, rather than tanks)

If a commander has his own integral fighting ability, then he can act as his own reserve - plus, it gives him the ability to go forward to where the fighting is and influence the battle directly (even if he isn't necessarily directly engaging the enemy himself) by providing him with the appropriate level of protection and self-defense.

The trick is deciding when to commit himself, with the understanding that when so committed, he increases the level of direct hurt on the enemy (via the employment of his weapons) but also reduces or removes his ability to influence the battle. If the formation is fully committed, I offer that tactical influence at that point is pretty much zero anyway, and getting weapons on target (plus the leadership benefits of providing a personal example) outweighs remaining noncommitted.

I know I would much rather lead from a fighting callsign (or from a callsign with fighting capability) than from a weaponless CP.

DG

I see everyone had a busy weekend.

I will not enter the commander /crew commander/loader debate, since my experience in that subject is from a galaxy long ago and far away...I will pose the question of "how do they do that?" in a three man tank, since several models exist and are in service (T64, 72, 80, 90, "Black Eagle" in Russian service and LeClerc in France and some Arab countries). Obviously these armies either know something we don't, or are doing something differently.

WRT mortars, ATGMs and the like, if they are to become part of an Armoured Regiment, then wouldn't it make more sense to group them in a "Combat Support Squadron" similar to the (former) Combat Support Company of the Infantry battalion? OF course, it would also make a lot of sense to have a pool of dismounted soldiers for close protection and other tasks, the Assault Troop is still needed in an Armoured Regiment.

If we carry this argument towards its logical conclusion, we begin to get composite or hybrid units along the lines of the Stryker Brigade Combat Team, Marine LAV Battalion or theoretical ideas like the Modular Manouevre Battalion. The argument will then become more along the lines of how to employ tanks rather than "what would a future (generation four) tank be like?"

I am with 2Bravo on the idea of a split from this thread as to a more general question of what Canada's armoured needs would be in the forseeable future, not only DF vehicles, but IF, Infantry, Engineer recce and Service Support as well.

Back